Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on meat salvage requirement for brown bears

Default Question on meat salvage requirement for brown bears

I know you have to salvage the meat from brown bears taken over bait (in areas open for that), just as you would with black bears. But does that requirement apply to brown bears taken after June 1st, since you don't have to salvage the meat of black bears after that same date?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re.../pdfs/bear.pdf

The way I read it... if taken over bait the meat of brown/grizz must be salvaged regardless of date.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

The season for browns ends on may 31st I believe because you have to follow the brown bear regulations . At least that is the way I read it for unit 7.

For brown bears over bait in unit 7 and 15 i was just told at ADFG that the Board of Game
    Is aligning it with black bear requirements and they will have a flyer out soon.
    If you intend to hunt browns you will need.
    License
    Brown bear locking tag
    Rb300 permit.

What about in units that don't close on May 31?

Which units are those?

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Which units are those?
    Of the top of my head units 12, 13d, 16, 20e all are open to brown/grizz baiting, and stay open past May 31.

Quote Originally Posted by ERL View Post
    Of the top of my head units 12, 13d, 16, 20e all are open to brown/grizz baiting, and stay open past May 31.
    Of course there are exceptions... and exceptions to the exceptions.

The new changes go into effect July 1st. Until then, any brown bears harvested over bait need to have the quarters, ribs, backstrap, and neck meat salvaged. After July 1st, it'll match black bears (quarters and backstrap)

not trying to change topics here, but what quality do you all expect out of a spring brownie?

I talked with my area Bio today as I picked up by baiting permit about the salvage requirement. I asked him about people I had heard talking about only needing to bring the meat out of the field and being able to dispose of it. I expressed that I didn't feel that was actually salvaging, and he agreed that if he were at the dump and saw someone dumping quarters he would site them. After further discussion he told me that after you have perserved the meat for 15 days it is yours to do with as you see fit and dumping frozen quarters at least 15 days old was in no way a problem with any game animal. I feel much better about popping a brownie I may or may not want to consume depending on the stench and worm content.

Quote Originally Posted by ERL View Post
    Is there an actual brown bear baiting season? Or if you're actually black bear baiting in a certain GMU and a brown bear comes in, you can take it with a different permit/tag? I thought that the brown bear baiting deal all fell under black bear baiting requirements. I also heard that you can bait for black bears using typical black bear baits, not a road killed horse to "purposefully" attract brownies. This is to be an "incidental animal" from what I hear. Anyone hear different??

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Is there an actual brown bear baiting season? Or if you're actually black bear baiting in a certain GMU and a brown bear comes in, you can take it with a different permit/tag? I thought that the brown bear baiting deal all fell under black bear baiting requirements. I also heard that you can bait for black bears using typical black bear baits, not a road killed horse to "purposefully" attract brownies. This is to be an "incidental animal" from what I hear. Anyone hear different??
    Well I hadn't thought about it that way but you may have a point. So if what you're saying is true then you legally couldn't hunt over bait without a blackbear harvest ticket, correct?

I'm pretty sure you'd need a black bear harvest ticket anyways. I "think" you'd also need a grizzly tag or permit (if you will) to take a brown bear over a black bear bait in whatever unit you're hunting in that allows it. From how I read/hear it, due to all of the complaints from people having brownies storm troop their black bear bait sites, this was ADF&G's answer. So in certain units, they'll allow the taking of brownies over black bear baits if a legal one show's up. So you're black bear hunting/baiting the whole time. You can't target brownies. That's how I see it... This is why I ask if anyone has heard different....

Quote Originally Posted by granby45 View Post
    I talked with my area Bio today as I picked up by baiting permit about the salvage requirement. I asked him about people I had heard talking about only needing to bring the meat out of the field and being able to dispose of it. I expressed that I didn't feel that was actually salvaging, and he agreed that if he were at the dump and saw someone dumping quarters he would site them. After further discussion he told me that after you have perserved the meat for 15 days it is yours to do with as you see fit and dumping frozen quarters at least 15 days old was in no way a problem with any game animal. I feel much better about popping a brownie I may or may not want to consume depending on the stench and worm content.
    curious about the magical number of 15? i don't remember coming across anything regarding keeping meat for 15 days before it's "yours to do with as you see fit"; but i could be wrong.

I have a question which even af&g did respond to: in a DLP situation, do you always have to carry the materials necessary to send the bear to them? So if you were hiking and had to dispatch a bear do you have to have on you all the gear to send the bear back to them? Or have I missed something here? Thanks.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

AK fang, T he Area Bio was very clear about the 15 days, but I had never seen that before either.

Ron, If you shoot one in DLP, you get what you need to deal with it. It is your responsibility to bring it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by granby45 View Post
    Ron, If you shoot one in DLP, you get what you need to deal with it. It is your responsibility to bring it to them.
    So wherever I go I have to carry the gear to deal with a bear in a DLP situation. So if you are 200 miles away from nowhere up a river fishing you still have to bring the whole thing back?

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    So wherever I go I have to carry the gear to deal with a bear in a DLP situation. So if you are 200 miles away from nowhere up a river fishing you still have to bring the whole thing back?

Ron
    From how I read and understand it, you don't have to carry anything (a DLP kit, paperwork, etc..) with you in the woods if you happen to be involved in a DLP. You'll most likely have a knife on you anyways and that's all it takes to break a bear down. If a DLP occurs, you get to a point where you can use a phone, and you notify them. You then go to them or they'll come to you, or both, depending on the situation and where it happened at.
    I believe that all you need to provide to ADF&G/Troopers is the head (seperated from the hide) and completely skinned out hide. They'll then ask you a ****load of questions and of course you'll fill out paper work with them. That's how I've heard it goes down from folks that have done it.
    Also, if you DON'T have claw marks and bloody wounds on yourself, you'd best have one helluva a good story to convince them that it was self defense... Just sayin'....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast