Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anterless hunts.

Default Anterless hunts.

Well in ten years you guys have depleted our moose pop. to almost half, (Great F--king job) That is in just one unit.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...02-14-2014.pdf

That was the goal and it succeeded. The conservative estimate is 10000 moose due to poor weather they couldn't do as good of a survey as would have been ideal so there is likely more. With good weather and high calf mortality last year most cows are likely pregnant and will dropping a pile of new moose here shortly. There are at least 7000 cows in that unit and barring another year of spring storms the herd will likely be back over its 12000 animal management goal.

Lujon, it took thirty years to get the population back to where it was after the 69-70 show here in delta. Now there is more hunting pressure because of more population, newer boats, 4-wheelers, etc. What has happened is that fewer people will have meat on thier tables for years to come.
    It used to be a balanced outcome and everybody had a chance at a good shot of getting a bull. Try to see outside the box. Nature will kill off its own if the population decides its fate. That seemed to be the case here, it just started to thin down the calfing process.

They are now worried that they don't have a correct count and will say anything that will make everybody happy.

Peoples greed is what is turning my stomach.

Yes they had the **** cow hunt here in delta and maybe stopped it in time but they keep the 20A HUNT GOING ON TOO LONG AND NOW PEOPLE WILL BE CLIMBING ALL OVER OTHER UNITS TO FIND SOME MEAT THAT THEY COULD HAVE HAD IF IT WAS LEFT ALONE.

The majority of 20A is not even close to the roads so the hwy argument dos'nt cut the mustard. The fires that have burned in 20A have replinshed long ago, it was pressure from the people that wanted meat, now watch the debocile that happens when when everybody trys to push the guy that had his honey hole all these years gets treaded on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Well in ten years you guys have depleted our moose pop. to almost half, (Great F--king job) That is in just one unit.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...02-14-2014.pdf
    Yep, every time one pulls the trigger on a moose, one helps to deplete the moose population.

Greed or common sense? As you say, "NOW PEOPLE WILL BE CLIMBING ALL OVER OTHER UNITS TO FIND SOME MEAT".

BTW - When is the hare cycle expected to return; as I would like some for dinner .. but don't want to work too hard. Are there any meat alternatives, or do I need to look into fermenting the bean curds?

I wonder about the pigeons under the Peters Creek overpass.

The shame is hunter advisory groups didn't try to shut it down before F&G,times have changed
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I liked how they sucked off the five dollars from everbody before they pulled the plug.

You're griping about a $5 permit fee that nobody was forced to put in for!?

Do you want 17000 malnourished moose or 10000 well fed moose?

It's a free country, you can educate and work your way into wildlife management if you so desire... But then your opinion on this might change by the time you get there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andweav, you might want to check out my background on this subject. I was'nt griping about the 5 dollar fee, ( I never even signed up for the hunt in my lifetime.) I thought of how funny it was that the F&G got all the suckers that did when they were supposed to have the count done in Nov. and I could be wrong on this the and the fees were due in Dec.

There is whole thread that I started years ago where I was against this.

If you are buying the malnourished moose argument, look into the Blair Lakes Fire, Rex Fire, and all the others that have happened in 20A and how long it takes for regrowth.

Being as we are on the subject of nutrition, can anyone on here tell me what a moose's diet is for the WHOLE YEAR ? ( I know, do you? )

What's the connection between this browse study and unit 20A antlerless hunts?

All fish and game managers are either idiots or managing game to protect their jobs. There is plenty of browse in 20A been hunting it for close to 30 years,that is up until two years ago I moved on,the Moose hunting is ruined in my opinion. And no I'm not a lazy hunter that doesn't want to work at it, where I hunt now I hunt the whole season to get my moose.

Not sure why educated idiots are always in charge of ruining our fish and game. They've ruined the Halibut fishing with allowing the commercial guys to rape the oceans since 1995, they've cut back now and are saying are models were wrong,but it's to late it will never recover to it's past glory. We tried to tell them it was getting over fished for years and all we ever heard was that we were not biologist and didn't understand..

The same thing I heard at the game board meetings when I testified that they were allowing to many cows to be killed. It will take 30 years of no cow killing for 20 A to be good again.

Lujon, it took thirty years to get the population back to where it was after the 69-70 show here in delta.
    What was the 69-70 "show" there in Delta?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What was the 69-70 "show" there in Delta?
    Not speaking for him ... but wasn't that like 1/100 of the surveyed moose was a bull with a rack?

If you're into a better ratio ... then antlerless hunts help boost the ratio.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

andweav, you might want to check out my background on this subject. I was'nt griping about the 5 dollar fee, ( I never even signed up for the hunt in my lifetime.) I thought of how funny it was that the F&G got all the suckers that did when they were supposed to have the count done in Nov. and I could be wrong on this the and the fees were due in Dec.

There is whole thread that I started years ago where I was against this.

If you are buying the malnourished moose argument, look into the Blair Lakes Fire, Rex Fire, and all the others that have happened in 20A and how long it takes for regrowth.

Being as we are on the subject of nutrition, can anyone on here tell me what a moose's diet is for the WHOLE YEAR ? ( I know, do you? )
    ES... many of those fires are still not producing green for the moose.. Rex reburned the 20002 fire, and burned it HOT down to dirt.. they are still several years from being valuable food sources..

your beating a dead bush, twinning rates are up. health of the herd is up.. and 20D is getting ready to ask for another antlerless hunt as those are doing great after the last one..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

amerguide the whole thing had to do with over hunting the area from 65-70, then had a bad winter that knocked out the population. If you read down about the artical that I'm posting it was'nt just in delta.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=280

Wet Enuf if you would have read the artical then you would have see where there is a chemical in plants that probhit them from been over browsed.

Vince, you and I have gone back and forth on this and we are not going to change each others mind, ( two old dogs pissing on the same bush, lol) the Rex burn is one of a few in the 20A unit in the last 10 years,( and if that one is'nt doing something in 12 years, somethings wrong.)

You could be right, I could be beating my head against the wall, but you look at that link and tell me how it went from 23,000 to 2800. People always say it won't happen here.

And heres another thought for ya.

If the land could support 23,000 moose back in the day ( with lots of fat ) why are you trying to cut that number in half?

Last years winter was a tough one. How much was on your moose?

Moose are like bears or any other anmials, the spring of the year has the most nutriants, and last spring was void of that.

Wet Enuf if you would have read the artical then you would have see where there is a chemical in plants that probhit them from been over browsed.
    So the chemical ensures that the plants won't be wiped out. Where do the moose get their nutrients?

Also, does the defense mechanism in the plants account for the low bull/cow ratio?

The spring shoots are thier main diet, ( that are the little flowers that sprot from the stems that the plant gives off, then on thier trek back to thier birthing grounds the wet lands ( where do you see most of your moose in the summer, thier heads buried under water, lol)

A moose has a stomach kinda like a cow, it changes its digestive system with the season. (what do cows eat in the summer, and what do they eat in the winter? ---Green grass in the summer and dried grass in the winter. ) Bull moose have been known to have died with full stomachs of twigs, in the winter, but some have attributed this to the rutting season, I don't know about that.

The thing I'm trying to get across is that a winter like we had last year and the late spring last year is going to have a big impact on the moose calfs that you see this year. Its not going to be because there was'nt enough browse, they just did'nt get it when they needed it.

My brother shot a small bull last fall and there was almost no fat on the moose. Where that moose was born, there was no competition for food.

The bull cow ratio is regulated by man.

The bull cow ratio is regulated by man.
    Whether cow or bull .... everytime someone catches a moose ... the moose population is more regulated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast