Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyday passangers and fly in hunters...rural towns of Alaska.

Smile Everyday passangers and fly in hunters...rural towns of Alaska.

Just wondering, do you think hunters, specially from the lower 48 are paying higher fares to fly into rural towns/villages then maybe residents of those towns who fly in and out?

I ask this, because I see students from rural villages and small towns flying to and from school activities and wonder how such activities are afforded. If the rates are the same as what traveling hunters are paying.

Anybody, can you answer this?

Thanks. Da Preach

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly preacher View Post
    Just wondering, do you think hunters, specially from the lower 48 are paying higher fares to fly into rural towns/villages then maybe residents of those towns who fly in and out?

I ask this, because I see students from rural villages and small towns flying to and from school activities and wonder how such activities are afforded. If the rates are the same as what traveling hunters are paying.

Thanks. Da Preach
    ERA...aka Ravn air...charges the same. Most schools charter flights which cost the same price whether you are solo or hav a full load.

Thanks, Yukon Cornelius

I know of a couple bush plane companies that offer discounts for locals...but they don't go around broadcasting it.

I'm sure the schools are getting some sort of discount whether its frequent flier miles or what. I also know here on Kodiak, the students actively fundraise for travel funds and ask for donated miles.

In SE most times kids travel by ferry. Kids can be gone a fair amount of time for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I know here on the kenai Peninsula kids get a discount based on their GPA.
    The better your grades the more you save. Might only amount to 10% or so but it certainly helps.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I know some airlines have offered some form of coupon books in the past. I haven't check recently, but I know in the past you could buy a 10 flight book of tickets between Kenai and Anchorage for example and the average price came out a decent bit below a single ticket price.

I know of at least one company that will routinely bump non-locals in favor of locals even if the non-local made a reservation two months in advance and the local showed up 15 minutes before the flight.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I know some airlines have offered some form of coupon books in the past. I haven't check recently, but I know in the past you could buy a 10 flight book of tickets between Kenai and Anchorage for example and the average price came out a decent bit below a single ticket price.
    Era/Ravn still does this. They call it a commuter coupon booklet, 8 one ways.

Thanks. Da Preach
    School district pays.
    If it makes you feel better, the lower 48 flyers aren't all paying the same rate to get here either. Shocking, I know.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I know that since we aquired our cabin, and have been going in and out three summers since, we have figured out how to get around more cheaply and the locals still beat us out. They are friends or neighbors with the pilots and are more flexible with their travel plans. They catch back hauls, mail planes, etc. If your outfitter is scheduling things with the flight company, they are in it to squeeze as much money out of you as possible, plus they may have scouting trips, equipment/supply hauls built into their price. On the other hand, if you go directly to a bush flight company and say I want to go from here to x-spot, you are going to pay $300-600 per flight hours depending on what sort of plane you need/desire.

However, in 2006, when I flew Alaska Airlines from ANC to Bethel, it was just a standard, open to the public flight on a half cargo 737 - about $300 then.

When I fly to Anchorage from Kenai and back when I go to the slope I get a free flight for every $1,000 I spend with Grant.
    I suppose if I saved up enough I could give them to my kid or whomever I wanted. I have never tried as I just use them myself.
    Plus I get the slope workers (frequent flyer) discount.

Quote Milo

"School district pays.
    If it makes you feel better, the lower 48 flyers aren't all paying the same rate to get here either. Shocking, I know. "

See, it would be illegal to discriminate against people just because of the origin.

Quote Milo

"School district pays.
    If it makes you feel better, the lower 48 flyers aren't all paying the same rate to get here either. Shocking, I know. "

See, it would be illegal to discriminate against people just because of the origin.

Neither of your statements is true. "Point of origin" does not define a protected class.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Neither of your statements is true. "Point of origin" does not define a protected class.
    Quit a hobby you have.

Bering Air also has coupon book specials. Takes one coupon to fly between close points, two coupons to fly between further points, etc.

Locals who get discounts often deserve it - I think of it as a Bush Frequent Flyer Program. As an outsider, I do not begrudge them this perk.

A bush pilot or airline gaining client loyalty is important to help cover ever-changing costs, seasonal disruptions, and increasing competition. A clientele base to fall back on in lean times is crucial in any business.
    Fly fishing makes me herl

Seat fares in some of these smaller planes are much less than the charter and these small companies often run zigzaggy routes in Bristol Bay to get folks to where they eventually want to go. Backhauls often help in various scenarios and of course if someone is a family friend in need there may be a rate decided upon.

However, this is only for the wheeled stuff, I don't think I ever saw any deals on floatplanes. And if they did get a lesser rate than visiting hunters......um, that's not exactly an uncommon scenario within a tourist industry. I can even get myself or my visiting parents on a helicopter to view the glaciers down here for less than a tourist fresh off the cruise ship.

One thing I have noticed is that for everyday travelers, we don't really use private pilots. Mainly our carrier. I have two options that are daily in my village. Ravn (ERA) and Ryan Air. Ryan just recently started providing service to our area and it is nice b/c it kind of forced ERA to step up their customer service. I can depend (as much as one can depend on transportation in the bush) on the daily flight to Anchorage. Intervillage is a crap shoot. They come when they want to come. My options are to either hire a charter (same price through school district as it is if I contacted company myself) or wait until the "scheduled" flight comes and gets me.

I've been told that I have the option of catching a ride on the mail plane but I've never seen that happen. I do know that charter rides can be shared on the back flight and I am not sure how that works. There is a village communication system that I am not privy to.

As far as hunters. We do have a guide in our village that runs a hunting lodge. Most of his clients come in via ERA. He picks them up and gets them to the lodge. They do pay a higher fee than I would, but it is b/c of their gear they bring.

I picked two hunters up this fall and gave them a warm floor to sleep in (for some meat) and they told me it was more cost effective to buy the ERA flight and pay the excess baggage fees than it was to charter.

All fares are the same. 160$ one way , villages further away from Kotz pay more.

Kids in our school district raise $$ to attend sports events in all kinda ways.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

When friends of mine or repeat customer's ask me for more fishing jigs is it fair to others if I give them a discount?
    Maybe not but that is my choice to take the $$ loss for those who shop frequently or are friends and family.
    I don't see why it matters if locals get a discount on airfare from local airlines.
    The local guy often makes the difference in whether or not they can stay in business servicing those locations.
    Why should I pay more for goods and services so tourists can pay less?

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast