Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Little Campbell/beer can lake slow

  1. #1
    Member summitx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    400

    Default Little Campbell/beer can lake slow

    Pretty slow out there, lots of blackfish, any other lakes in town doing good, or valley even. Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    Yep - very slow. I took my sons out there last weekend and we were skunked in a little over an hour of fishing. That's how it goes, but with a three year old and a five year old, I was hoping for some kid-friendly action like I have found there in years past. Looking to hit a Valley lake next time around.

  3. #3
    Member mjm316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    822

    Default

    W​ent out to Finger on Sunday for the kids tournament and there were plenty of 10-12" being caught....
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

  4. #4
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Don't feel bad, it's not you it's the lake. Every year at this time, fishing in Beer Can Lake takes a nose dive due to depleted dissolved oxygen. This is the third year in a row this has happened and with the Elodea taking over that lake it's only going to get worse.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  5. #5
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    The morning bite at Sand Lake has been great! 7:30-11:00 has been the window. Come 11:30-12:00 the fishing drops off. Cured salmon eggs off the bottom are outfishing shrimp 10:1
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  6. #6
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    This is the third year in a row this has happened and with the Elodea taking over that lake it's only going to get worse.
    Boy, isn't that the truth! I noticed a bunch of plant matter spread around a hole last week, and looking at it I was surprised to find lots of elodea. I knew that we had invasive elodea in places around Southcentral, but glancing down the hole at the bottom - wow! That lake is completely smothered with the stuff, isn't it? Terrible to see, but I know where I will be harvesting samples for my biology students to look at. You can't buy that stuff in stores anymore (understandably), but it's one of the best specimens for looking at cellular structure.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Don't feel bad, it's not you it's the lake. Every year at this time, fishing in Beer Can Lake takes a nose dive due to depleted dissolved oxygen. This is the third year in a row this has happened and with the Elodea taking over that lake it's only going to get worse.
    I was just going to mention the Elodea. I sat in on a Parks and Rec open house a couple weeks ago regarding some upgrade work they are looking at doing at Little Campbell Lake (just looking for ideas of what to do at this point since they have funds available earmarked for that location). They discussed the Elodea and how it really is only in about 3 lakes in the area currently and they are trying to keep it from spreading. One of the ideas they were considering for the lake was a wash station, making it easy for users to rinse off their gear before leaving with hopes that it will minimize the chance of transporting the Elodea to other bodies of water.

    With that in mind, it's probably a good opportunity to remind people to rinse off your gear before jumping in at another lake. Probably more of a summer issue, but I'm sure there is still potential in the winter.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Boy, isn't that the truth! I noticed a bunch of plant matter spread around a hole last week, and looking at it I was surprised to find lots of elodea. I knew that we had invasive elodea in places around Southcentral, but glancing down the hole at the bottom - wow! That lake is completely smothered with the stuff, isn't it? Terrible to see, but I know where I will be harvesting samples for my biology students to look at. You can't buy that stuff in stores anymore (understandably), but it's one of the best specimens for looking at cellular structure.
    One of the things the Parks and Rec as well as the ADF&G guy who was there mentioned was to try to avoid tearing it up. What that does is spreads it faster, sending the broken parts further than it would go undisturbed. If you are collecting it, just try to keep from spreading pieces around in the process.

    Currently, it is primarily located on the north end of the lake, in the area where the lily pads used to be really thick, near where people get in/out all the time. This makes it even harder to keep from disturbing and spreading since it is the last thing anyone goes through on their way out of the lake with boats, float tubes, boots, swim suits/wetsuits, etc...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    62

    Default

    While it has been bad for a few weeks now, Sunday was decent with a great ending. Caught about a dozen 10" fish with the son and grandson. Each of us loosing large char and shortly before packing up the grandson brings up an 18" char. His biggest catch ever and very excited about not only catching it but bringing home dinner.


  10. #10
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Odiebo View Post
    While it has been bad for a few weeks now, Sunday was decent with a great ending. Caught about a dozen 10" fish with the son and grandson. Each of us loosing large char and shortly before packing up the grandson brings up an 18" char. His biggest catch ever and very excited about not only catching it but bringing home dinner.


    Awesome! Way to go dad! Brian, I've heard talk if/when they ban Elodea that would also hold true for classrooms expeiments in the state of Alaska. One thing I noticed last time I was out there, is that the Elodea will stick and freeze to your auger and someone could unknowingly transport it to the next lake they fish. It's one heck of a tough plant!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  11. #11
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    Yeah, if it's banned I will abide by it and if I were to collect it I would be very cautious in the manner in which I do so. Heck, I teach the same students quite a bit about invasive species, so I don't need to be hypocritical there.

    Back to fishing...sand lake, eh? Sure would like to get my sons on some fish. Was thinking finger lake.

  12. #12
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    I caught well over 25+ fish from 9:00-10:30 on Friday. As mentioned, the morning bite is crucial on Sand Lake right now. 16-17 feet of water has been the most productive depth for multiple species. With increasing daylight, fishing should improve during mid-day to eveing hours. Although, currently they are in some kind of "mood" to where they are only biting well in the morning hours. It's been this way for over a month. Even the evening bite isn't as good as it should be right now. Good cured salmon eggs and a small jighead on/near the bottom are key, for now.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Any reports from any of the lakes on Elmendorf/ Ft Rich or Jewel Lake? Looking to go out tomorrow. Thanks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •