Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help- Snaring coyote and wolves!

Default Need help- Snaring coyote and wolves!

New to the site and relatively new to trapping. I'm basically looking for any tips and tricks on how to outwit k9's. I was fortunate enough to snare 1 coyote on Sunday, I'm just not sure if it was a fluke or if I did everything correct! Needless to say just that one coyote was enough to get me hooked! Feel free to pm me.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

anybody? the wolves came back to my snares but didn't go in!
    -THE ONLY THING CONSISTENT IN TRAPPING IS CHANGE-

Without knowing the details of what you are/aren't doing it is hard to help. If you are getting refusals at snares, are you picking set locations where you can conceal the snares enough? Have the snares been boiled? Are you using gloves when handling snares?

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get signed up for the Wolf Trapping school that the ATA puts on each winter. Outside of that, the ATA has a wolf trapping manual that is also a very good information resource.

Yea I guess that was a very broad question! Thanks for replying tho. I boiled the snares I use brand new packaged cotton gloves when handling. The snares might not be as concealed as they should be :/ the wolves keep coming back almost every night but they won't ever go in for the 200+ lbs of beaver and other carcass' hopefully temptation will take over and they'll go in. And that class definitely sounds like a good idea! Even if I don't get a wolf...at least I caught 1 coyote!

If they keep coming back, can you snare up some of the trails they are using farther away from your bait pile? Or if the trails are too wide and open for snares, you could try either a blind set in their main trail or track sets if they are using smaller trails off of the main packed trail. Also if they are coming back in repeatedly, a well placed pee post could be effective as well. THey probably already have a spot or spots they are marking at, just have to find it.

I just got done boiling some more snares and a few leg holds. I made a pee post set with some wolf urine a buddy gave me but I didn't put it where the wolves were peeing because I couldn't find it. Gosh so much work for ten more days of trapping. But TOTALLY WORTH IT! I appreciate your tips. They should definitely help me!

Just curious, what kind of footholds did you set out? From my limited experience, bairdi has about hit it on the head. Keep your snares clean, put just a little concealment on them to keep the from being obvious. A couple long strands of grass stuck in the snow and leaned up against the edges of the loop or a long strand of grass laid on top of the snare with the "barley" end of it concealing the lock.

My experience is that if the tracks stop 8-10 feet from the snare and veer away, they saw the snare. If the tracks go right up to it and then back out, they smelled it. All that said, I've never caught a wolf (they are few and far between in my area), but I've snared quite a few coyotes and fox.

I'd normally direct you to a site that is a wealth of information, but the owner of that site had a wedgie one day and banned me (I guess), so I'll pass.

Good luck, hope you catch a couple before the season closes!

I set out 1 #5 bridger coil spring under the urine set. I put out a game cam and got a picture what appears to be a mature adult wolf! im just going to take everything I learn from this site and put it all together and go out hard next year!

Well I got my first ever wolf!!!! Thanks guys for all the help. Got her in a snare on the very last day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Congratulations, you just saved a few more moosies! Good hob.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Fantastic! Man, way to get after it! Now that trapping season is closed, if hunting season is still open in that area, you should consider staking it out since they're coming through so often. If it were me, I'd set up a game cam and see if they're still coming in, and if so, around what time.

Congratulations!

Congratulations.........it being a Bitc#, you likely saved a lot of moose.

Great job!!!

That's great!
    It makes it all worth while!

reading this thread from start until now and man, what a great example of why I spend so much time on this forum. Congrats on your success!

Thanks! for my first year I think I did pretty good! Ended the season with 1 wolf, 2 lynx, 5 coyotes snared one and called 4, 6 beaver, 8 mink, and 3 ermine. If anyone has any other advice for any sort of trapping feel free to pm me as im always looking for help!

Thanks bawanna! My dad taught me a lot about trapping the smaller animals but coyotes and wolves were a different story, countless hours of trial and error and reading books and stuff all over the internet. it was an awesome year even though the snow was terrible and it was warm I definitely made the best out of it!

You called in four coyotes in your first year? And trapped a wolf? Dang man...I think I need to tag along next year! Calling coyotes is not easy! Well done on all accounts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You called in four coyotes in your first year? And trapped a wolf? Dang man...I think I need to tag along next year! Calling coyotes is not easy! Well done on all accounts
    Well I called in probably a total of 12 but was only able to shoot 4. Either they got close and winded me or saw some movement and took off. First time calling I called a triple off a moose kill. So thankful for foxpros! They seem to make it fairly easy. Hopefully next year I'll be able to get a few more...we'll see!

Born to be a trapper!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast