Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage 99 model questions.....which one?

Default Savage 99 model questions.....which one?

Ever since my first deer season 26 years ago at the tender age of 12 I've been in love with this firearm. Now, I didn't actually get to use one but my dad's buddy had one in 300 Savage that I got to shoot and being a lefty I love all things lever. I passed up on one that needed some love at a local gunshop in my 20's that was in 308 and have regretted it since and this has thus been an unrequited love.

So, I'm looking for a 99 to shoot, and more so to hunt with. So, just like the 1970 Win. 94 I picked up last year, I'm not looking for rare, ancient, super shiny, or super expensive safe queen but the right model and ideally in decentish shape. I've done some reading on the differences and for now I'm leaning toward a 99F or featherweight and ideally in 300 savage or 308 so it's got enough punch for a moose and still has some range, but will likely be a deer/black bear/elk rifle and often in the hills making the F part attractive.

I know there are several aficianados and many real fans of the 99 on here so what do you guys think of each model, the years of production that are preferred, and performance of this gun in general?

I'll post first for Mainah and say the best would be a 358 with 250 grain Woodleighs...... This option is not out of question if I could find one without breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance

My father sold grandpas 300 savage years ago, but he still has the 308 win and a 250-3000. Excellent rifles, I do have a love to hunt with them. Both have peep sights. So even better as that is how I learned to shoot. I made him promise he would never sell them.

Release Lake Trout

The wife inherited a Savage 99 in the 250-3000 a few yrs back that was her Pa's. One of the nicest rifles I ever first picked up and shot. Peep sight and a great feel. This one was a 1930's gun in great shape. I'm now just finishing reading "Alaskas Wolf Man" and Frank Glaser proclaimed it his favorite rifle for market hunting in Alaska. ( of course this was back 80 yrs ago). Love the style and feel.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I'm much like you catch it, I wasn't looking for a safe queen. Many can be had for $300-500 in 308 based cartridges. For you being a lefty though, the tang safety may be a better choice. Most of the cheaper ones will have a birch stock. Your best bet, call guns stores in Appalachian states, as guns stores round here, mark the price up too much. Maine, and West Virginia seem to be the cheapest ones I've found. If you do decide to go with a fix er upper, for cheaper than a decent scope, you can get a fresh bore cut by jes reboring in .358 winchester. Jes can do this to any 243 win, 7mm-08, or 308 savage 99. Boyds makes walnut replacements, but the grain is boringly straight. The internal rotary mag ones are the best.

A brockman's model 70 pop-up peep sight can be fitted to the back of rear weaver base, if you want nice back-ups. Likewise, an 870 20 gauge wilson combat ghost ring sight fits well on the back too, using one of the rear scope base screw holes.

Triggers can be rendered to about 3lbs with no creep.

With that said, Max at Alaska canoe (canoe forum moderator) knew of a fix er uppah that he told me about some time ago. You may ask him to help you on this, if he still knows where it is.

Some of the tang safety guns are poor quaility so look close.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I had one in 308 that I bought as a kid. Bought it with a 2x7 Redfield on it. Loved the gun but hated the trigger. Ended up selling it a few years back....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    With that said, Max at Alaska canoe (canoe forum moderator) knew of a fix er uppah that he told me about some time ago. You may ask him to help you on this, if he still knows where it is.
    Ummm... maybe not anymore ;-)

I have really grown to love the 99. I've done a bunch of research on them and Mainer helped me find one from Maine.
    The Fs and Es from the mid-50s on up to the 70s are most buyable and frequently found in the most common calibers of .243, .308. If you can get a .250 or .300 you are a lucky man. If you can get a .358 or .375 Win you are even luckier! A .303 S would be a great rifle, but hard to load for. The .22 HP would be a hoot, but probably hard to load for also. Then there are are 30.30s out there too.

There is nothing like the 99 today except the BLR (which looks to be pretty good itself). The BLR is similar to the 99 C models which had a removable mag instead of the rotary mag (which is kinda the classic element of the 99, however).

I hope you find yourself one. I like the pistol grip style myself with a tang safety, but you frequently find these with cracked wrists.

Ah yes 30-30, most would think that a waste of a 99 . . . It's, not! 30-30 in a 99 or a bolt action is a whole other thing than in a 94 Winchester becouse you can jack the pressures and use pointy bullets so a 99 in 30-30 is one heck of a rifle for the money.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I know of one guy, who bought a 30-30 savage 99 for next to nothing. everybody thought it was a silly purchase. He then had it built into a .375 jdj, which is based off the 444 marlin case, and shares the same rim dimensions as a 30-30.

another option for a 30-30 savage 99, is jess's 405 jes. it's like a short 405 winchester. He does it to the 336 marlins too. but the savage would be more stout. the case is basically a tapered 444 marlin case.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Ah yes 30-30, most would think that a waste of a 99 . . . It's, not! 30-30 in a 99 or a bolt action is a whole other thing than in a 94 Winchester becouse you can jack the pressures and use pointy bullets so a 99 in 30-30 is one heck of a rifle for the money.
    I have wondered about that. I had a chance to buy a Savage M340 bolt in 30.30 for cheap and didn't. A cool looking rifle, but something about 30.30 just didn't jazz me.

I really like the 300 savage, almost 308 performance, with way more style . My 99 is a minty 1949 production EG from before they came drilled for scope mounts. It wears a Redfield aperture sight in the tang holes and is really a great carry in and shooting rifle, I took a deer and a fox on Kodiak with it last fall. The triggers are easily massaged, and I really like the looks and function of the older lever safety.

Deals can be had on the newer guns, especially the late production Es and some of the more common Cs. If I had to get a newer one I would be on the lookout for an A in the 250, cute little carbines in a neat cartridge. Good buys are often available on older guns that have been drilled for scope mounts as well. A word of caution, make sure you can look at the base holes without a base on them before buying. The rear bridge is hardened as well as being a compound angle, this made them hard to drill and tap, especially in a drill press or on a benchtop. I have seen many of them that had some badly screwed up holes in that rear bridge, screws out of center, broken taps still in holes, one gun even had the holes opened for 12x24 screws trying to rescue the job, didn't work. Often these botched jobs will be hidden by gluing the base on and gluing the screws in, looks okay until you try to change bases or shoot it enough to vibrate it loose.

GNG had a nice EG in 300 yesterday when we stopped buy, don't remember the price but it might be worth a look, drilled and tapped but a good looking old gun.

The drilled and tapped doesn't bug me as I may scope it at some point, good points on the pointy bullets in a 30 30 that could be a unique resuscitation of what is often called an enemic cartridge. Although the blacktail I took with my 94 in 30 30 last year was quite dead upon pulling the trigger. I'm not sure I'm a gun nut enough to try a rebore job, but the 358 has had my eye as I feel there is nothing in AK under 200 yards that that rifle wouldn't do a great job on.

Thanks for all the replies

Cool post. I am also wanting to get a 99. Been wanting to for quite a while but was always worried I would buy the wrong one. I have some questions that hopefully you know the answers to.
    Are the letters to describe what model you have, what options they came with?
    Do the letters have anything to do with the year of the gun? If not how do you know what year you have?
    Also were the tang safeties associated with certain years?
    When, year, did they come tapped for scopes?
    And do they all come with the same kind of magazine
    Thanks all

I love my Savage model 99G, it's been in the family since the 1930's; it was mfg in 1933 according to the serial number in .30-.30 cal. My Grandfather, my father and I have taken many Adirondack bucks with it over the years. It's light in weight and has iron sights. Here's a couple of snaps...

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    Cool post. I am also wanting to get a 99. Been wanting to for quite a while but was always worried I would buy the wrong one. I have some questions that hopefully you know the answers to.
    Are the letters to describe what model you have, what options they came with?
    Do the letters have anything to do with the year of the gun? If not how do you know what year you have?
    Also were the tang safeties associated with certain years?
    When, year, did they come tapped for scopes?
    And do they all come with the same kind of magazine
    Thanks all
    http://www.savage99.com/index.php
    Many different models in various calibers. Beginning in the late 50s they begin using more aluminum and cheeper wood. In the 70s they came out with a removable magazine for some economy models. As a bolt guy I like the tang safety, but some people hate them, and they do seem to cause splitting or chipping on the stock.

The book is extremely detailed also: "The Ninety-Nine,
    A History of the Savage Model 99 Rifle.
    by Douglas Murray

Beautiful gun

FTR - I saw a 99C in 308 at (I believe) Cabelas. It was either that or GNC or Boondocks.

Good luck finding one - they are classic design.

GNG had one recently. A 300 Savage was on Alaska List from up in the valley complete with vintage scope. http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen...ge_99_300.html

woundedknee

This Forum and section has all your answers for the Savage 99. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...age_Collectors

Tang safety are later models quality not thought of as good among the Savage 99 X perts. Factory drilled and tapped the Savage marks are not
    on top of receiver they are on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    woundedknee

This Forum and section has all your answers for the Savage 99. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...age_Collectors

Tang safety are later models quality not thought of as good among the Savage 99 X perts. Factory drilled and tapped the Savage marks are not
    on top of receiver they are on the side.
    Not so much tang safety v lever safety, rather pre-mill v post mill. It's analogous to the pre-'64 Winchester deal, or the push feed v controlled feed.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast