Thread: World record attempt for inverted flat spins

Default World record attempt for inverted flat spins

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...px?CMP=ADV%3A1

irshow performer Spencer Suderman appears to have set a new world record with an 81-turn, three-minute-plus inverted flat spin in a Pitts S-2B that took him from 23,000 feet to less than 2,000 feet over the California desert.

It was Suderman’s third attempt at the previous record of 78 turns set by airshow legend Wayne Handley in a Giles 202 in 1999.

Suderman coordinated the attempt with the FAA to get permission to fly his VFR biplane (built in 1984) above 18,000 feet over El Centro near the Salton Sea. He also wore an oxygen mask, gloves, and several layers of clothes to cope with the outside air temperature of negative 9 degrees Fahrenheit. He recorded the event with three onboard video cameras.

“I knew the airplane could do it because it’s such a beautiful spinner,” Suderman said. “The trick was getting high enough.”

Suderman credits ElectroAir, a Michigan firm that makes an FAA-certified, variable-timing, electronic ignition system for his success.

“Nothing on that airplane works as well at 23,000 feet as it does down low,” he said. “But it still had some climb left at 23,000.”

Suderman is helping ElectroAir collect engine data for FAA certification in six-cylinder Lycoming engines. The units are FAA certified in Continental and Lycoming four-cylinder engines as well as some Continental six-cylinder models.

It took about 30 minutes for Suderman to climb to 23,000 feet. The spin recovery initiated at 2,000 feet was no different after 81 turns than it is after just a few, he said.

Suderman has applied to Guinness World Records for a new standard in consecutive inverted flat spins. His previous efforts resulted in spins of 64 and 77 turns.

“I’m as excited as hell!” he said. “I’ve been trying for this for a long time.”
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

The things you can do in the lower 48 where you have better establisments. The little bit I have worked with lycoming and aviat it has been a joy. BTW aviat has a flat rate 1200 annual. To bad its not feasable to fly down there every year.

I think you overlooked the part about him working "with" the FAA to do the attempt. There is the same establishment up here as there is down south. The key part is working with the powers that be and not against them.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Its not the FAA I have an issue with, the ACO are good to work with. If I lived in the mid west I bet I could call up Aviat and have an annual scheduled within the week and for a flat rate of 1200. When the pilot is freed up from having to horse around with herding mechanics to get stuff done they can concentrate on things like the sportsmans routine or things like this article. Also lycoming offers a 4 day overhaul class that can be taken by pilots and I would wager a guess that an owner could do his own overhaul with loose supervision of a mechanic and down there the pilot probably does not have to wrangle a mechanic to do it.

I need to do a little research and see if things are as bad down there as they are up here, if not then I need to start looking at transitionally retireing down there. I can only handle so much battling with mechanics up here to get anything done.

Quote Originally Posted by Adison View Post
    I think you overlooked the part about him working "with" the FAA to do the attempt. There is the same establishment up here as there is down south. The key part is working with the powers that be and not against them.

Why are you turning my flying-thread about setting a spin record into an annex of your annual inspection thread ???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Because the thead is in reference to the exact plane I have and it would be nice if I could be concentrating on sportsmans routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Why are you turning my flying-thread about setting a spin record into an annex of your annual inspection thread ???

About 15 years ago on opening day at the Reno Air Races the show PA system had a voice welcoming everyone. He spoke in a calm conversational tone and even commented on the clouds over California. It took a few moments for the crowd to look up and recognize the voice was that of Wayne Handley as he was entering the show from high overhead in a series of inverted flat spins. I don't recall his total exactly but he righted the ship after something in the mid 50s count for rotations. I'd have unloaded my breakfast after two or three. Pretty cool to watch and his performance only got better after that. That was his last year before he finished the Turbine Raven and he was excited to get that plane finished. I never got the opportunity to see it fly. Those aerobatic guys are something else.

Because he is a cancer that spreads like wild fire....

Ban Him for the sake of the forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post