Thread: Moving to Kenai in a few weeks

Default Moving to Kenai in a few weeks

I'm moving back to Alaska soon and want to get back into the swing of things. Looking for people who know some good spots for small game or waterfowl on the peninsula. I'll be living in Kenai.

I've duck hunted outside of Anchorage and gone after small game on Ft. Rich, but haven't really tried anywhere else in the state

I can throw in gas money/ammo or whatever in exchange for some guidance.

I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. The snowshoe hare population is WAY down this year on the peninsula, and what few areas we have for ducks in this area are few and hotly competed for.

We do have predators and black bear. You can hunt across from Homer for ducks. Still a few spruce chickens here and there. Ptarmigan can be found above timberline, but you'll be too late for them this year. Wish I could give you better news, but the pen is not the happy hunting ground it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. The snowshoe hare population is WAY down this year on the peninsula, and what few areas we have for ducks in this area are few and hotly competed for.

We do have predators and black bear. You can hunt across from Homer for ducks. Still a few spruce chickens here and there. Ptarmigan can be found above timberline, but you'll be too late for them this year. Wish I could give you better news, but the pen is not the happy hunting ground it used to be.
    +1 for everything he said.
    Too many hunters and not enough game right now.
    Those spots I do know are not given out easily especially not to strangers on the internet.N
    o offense intended and I am not trying to be rude but to give up my spots like that just isn't going to happen or I won't have any spots left that aren't crowded.
    I am sure with a bit of leg work you will find a few spots of your own.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Moving to Kenai in a few weeks

Unfortunately you've heard the truth from the previous 2 posters.

On the plus side, there are a LOT of places that never see boots quite close to town, get a dog from the pound and get out and find them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses. I kinda figured that it would be like this.

Well new2town, if you can hang on till next year I'll show you some places for ptarmigan. This next fall you can hire Homerdave to take you across the bay to walk around China Poot Bay at low tide to hunt pintails and green heads. Or, if you are able to time it just right, and have a 4-wheeler, you can go as far as East End Road will take you past Homer and then take the switchbacks down to the beach and on toward Fox River flats to kill geese. If you are younger than me you can climb after black bears on the mountains around Cooper Landing. And then there is always the reds to catch and lots of lake fish here and there. I've seen coyote and lynx but I'm not a predator hunter so I can't really help you there. You can make it work for you if you are a go-getter.
    It's no longer a hunter's paradise, but it aint hell either.