Thread: Any Postal Workers here???

Denver, Colorado

Default Any Postal Workers here???

Howdy all...

I'm new here, though I've been lurking- and learning- for quite a while. That being said, I've seen LOTS of people post their first (goofy) thread, then go down in flames. I sincerely hope I'm not one of them.

So, I currently live in Denver, CO. I've been with the U.S. Postal Service since '99. Denver, and Colorado, is nice, but I'm looking for a change. A HUGE change... Like so many other people from the lower48, I've always dreamed of living in Alaska, for all/most of the usual reasons...

So, I was curious if anyone on these forums actually works for the USPS...????

I'm asking because I'm curious about transfer opportunities (I'm a Mail Handler- so I'm assuming that means I'd have to transfer to Anchorage, maybe Juneau...), as well as general cost-of-living issues. Is a Postal Workers salary a 'decent' wage in Alaska? What is it like working at a postal facility in Alaska???

Anyhoo... if someone can help, great! If not, well, at least I can say 'Hello!' to everyone...

I don't think your thread will go down in flames. It seems the threads that go that route are started by individuals that have an unrealistic dream and when Alaskans give some helpful albeit sometimes blunt criticism of why their plans are unrealistic they don't handle the reality check very well.

I'm not a postal worker so can't help you on those specifics. Anchorage would probably be your best bet as it is the mail hub for the state and due to federal cutbacks outlying mail handling hubs have seen cutbacks recently and that is likely to continue. I believe many perhaps all Federal employees receive a 25% COLA for living in Alaska, and that's tax free.

As far as cost of living, there are two things everyone needs to consider before moving up. What is the cost of living for basics, and what type of lifestyle does one want to live? If part of your reason for moving is to participate in activities you don't currently participate in, then you need to factor those activities into your cost of living. The difference in cost of living in Alaska vs. cost of enjoying Alaska can be somewhere between significant and staggering.

Decent wage is a loaded question as it depends on your personal needs and expectations. Single guy planning to rent an apartment and enjoy time off fishing, skiing etc, or family of four wanting to buy a home and have their kids involved in various sports and activities.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.