Thread: Ill-bred, poorly-reared, cowardly thieves..

Default Ill-bred, poorly-reared, cowardly thieves..

A good friend of mine who traps for a living and lives a rough life in the bush, who's also been experiencing some serious physical challenges lately, found that some scum-bags had stolen a wolf trap, the chain the drag was attached to, a hook, and the wolf that was in it.

They took the critter, chain, hook, and trap in question from not too far east of the second river going toward Goldking on the Rex Trail. They fully knew that none of what they were taking was theirs.

They were on snowmobiles and wearing bunny boots. (*Yes, when you approach other peoples' things, especially in the mud or snow, you leave tracks.. And trappers make their living by reading tracks.. Think about it..)

The value of the trap is about $110 by itself. The chain and hook bring the grand total of hardware up to about $140-ish. If the wolf tops the $360 mark in value, then guess what? They crossed that pesky 'felony theft' boundary ($500) that some fail to note when they're passing it by at the speed of light.

Or.. they could seek redemption, apologize to the trapper in question, as well as the Grand Cosmos, and pray they never get caught holding someone else's stuff... broke down on the trail.. cold, etc.

If some good Samaritan that had no idea they were about to make themselves into a felon wanted to avoid future bad karma, they might seek to repent by replying to this post and seeking to return the valuables that their greedy decision-making resulted in being in their possession.

'Nuff said...

Thats pretty lame. But he has to know the risks of trapping the Rex. I have a good friend that traps that trail from which his father trapped it sinced the early 70's and he has this sort of thing happen alot. Especially when the cow hunts were going on. He didn't trap it this year due to low cat #'s but he tells me of many bad stories. He has found cats in his traps shot by moose hunters with HUGE holes in the pelts. Pretty crappy and one hopes karma has it's play with those fools. Sorry to hear about your friend. Those wolf set ups are hard to find and expensive when you do..

Thanks. I suspect I'm vaguely familiar with the family you referenced, though my friend knows of them far better than I do, as he's been out there for over 20 years (probably working his way toward 25 or 30 years at this point, considering the way time seems to be flying lately).

He's trapped out that way for many years, and there's been a bit less traffic on the trail since the cow/antlerless hunts became more remote and better defined, with many accessing the easterly hunts from closer to Delta, and coming in from that end. In fact, it's my understanding that, based on the latest moose census, antlerless hunts in that area (20A) are cancelled for the next calendar year.

Alaska's always had its fair share of end-of-the-roaders, and persons with poor etiquette where others things were involved, and I can even make a somewhat strained effort at imagining someone seeing a critter in a trap and thinking they were doing someone (or the critter) a favor to cap it in place, leave the carcass lay. But when they take the entire lot of hardware -and- the animal, ending any 'suffering' was clearly not their intention.

There was another incident a few years back, out in the flats, when the son of a well-known individual took a wolf from a trap belonging to another fellow who traps much further out, but left the trap. The Troopers matched the cartridge casing, having gone out there with a metal detector, and the wolf was returned to its rightful owner, though prosecution didn't occur.

Anyone who's lived in the bush knows the value of limited money; the next bunch of gear or grub depends on it. Many in such a life style eat hand-to-mouth, depending on the year. And when you've already had some up-hill challenges, then it becomes that much more important.

There's some strong suspicions, at least on my part, as to who the perpetrators of this latest blatant, soulless transgression are. And like with Homer, Skagway, and Valdez, there's only one road in, and one road out. It's a small area around there, and someone saw something and knows something. And there's still a window of opportunity for the doers to make it a bit more correct.

I had a guy checking my bobcat sets for me once.
    He did steal a big cat from me! Problem was he also talked about it. $400-$500 really isn't that much when you have to replace four tires. Just sayn

I hear ya ruffle. Sad to say, like hunting up here anymore, it's not going to get any better. I am hoping with the crash of cats and marten starting to happen state wide, it should thin out alot of people in the next few years. I have seen it happen several times in the past. I myself have commited to clearing more trail in the last month and will be going back up again this weekend to finish connecting my loop. I have personally worked my rear off exploring, GPSing, clearing and flagging over 60 new miles of country recently...

Ruffle,

I sent you a private message regarding your friends wolf. Please check messages and give a call. Thanks!

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Thanks Ted!!

In a world that sometimes fuels diminished regard for humanity, your helpfulness, and the details of the back-story, have made a great day for one trapper in dire need of assistance.

The wolf and gear weren't taken in malice, but rather mistaken helpfulness, with the assumption the gear and wolf belonged to another.

Still working to get back the pelt, but sounding positive thus far, and arrangements are being made to regain possession of the trap, chain, and hook.

I'm a cynical fellow, and as a result of my perceptions, I've had less and less to do with most of humanity where it concerns inviting them into my inner-circle. Every now and then persons step up who show themselves to be of the old-school cloth, where names and deeds mean something. This is one of those times. This is a good day.

And my friend is now in need of some serious attention in town, and this recovery may help assist with that.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Hey Ted,

I tried to reply to your last PM, but the system sent a message stating your PM storage capacity had been exceeded.

Thanks a bunch for helping everything to end up where it needed to get to. Thanks to the others involved, as well, who had the honor and integrity to make things right.

Thus far it seems as though it'll all work out.

Take care,

ruffle

Negate that; either you cleared some stuff from your box, or my reducing the text in the PM made the content proper size to get in under the proverbial wire, 'cause the message was successfully sent the second time.

ruffle

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    Hey Ted,

I tried to reply to your last PM, but the system sent a message stating your PM storage capacity had been exceeded.

Thanks a bunch for helping everything to end up where it needed to get to. Thanks to the others involved, as well, who had the honor and integrity to make things right.

Thus far it seems as though it'll all work out.

Take care,

ruffle

SWEET!!! Glad things are working out for your friend!

Thanks Steve. Yes, it's rare that such circumstances result in these sorts of outcomes, but there were decent people involved, and it feels like Christmas for a bit now. Still waiting the return of the wolf, trap, etc., but it appears to be lined out to happen.

"Gonna' be a sun, sun, sun, sun shiny day..."

Headed to the mountains soon to spell my friend so he can get the help he needs.

Probably the final post for me in this thread, unless someone else replies, and I feel an obligation to respond.

While I was in the bush, house-sitting for my friend who came to town to be seen by a Doc, the person who committed to connecting with my family and returning the wolf, trap, etc., came through, and presented my wife and sons with my friend's wolf and gear; skinned and mostly dried, etc.

Probably the most positive outcome that could be imagined, especially in consideration of the original circumstances and appearances upon finding the items gone.

A HUGE thanks to all involved, and there were some interesting circles in all of this. A special thanks to Ted Meyer, Alan and Floyd. Thanks for making my friend's spring more bearable.

ruffle