Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Year Trying Our Luck Bear Baiting Need Advivce!!!

Default First Year Trying Our Luck Bear Baiting Need Advivce!!!

This is our first year putting out a bait stand is there any one out there that can help me out Any thing about baiting tips and ideal location to set a site. Not actual locations but conditions to be looking for or what units to start looking around anything will help. Thanks

First thing is, what part of Alaska do you live? Not many can help if you don't let us know where you live. Second, baiting is fairly easy. You will need a base. The 2 most popular are dog food and popcorn. Popcorn works better (keeps brownies away most of the time) but takes time to pop the amount you need. You will need to stock up on anything sweet. Chocolate in bulk, can kill bears, so I don't use it. Honey, marshmallows, syrup, jello packets, anything sweet. Since you are starting a fresh new bait site, you will need more food than you would normally put out. Lets say you have a 55 gallon drum and you use popcorn, fill the barrel with popcorn, marshmallows, and mix in some honey, and jello packets. Then on the ground, put more popcorn with your syrup, jello packets, and whatever else you want. Then take a bottle of vanilla or anise or really any scent (scent oils) and mix it with water and spray trees and the ground around your site. Make sure you get out there a ways, the farther you go the farther the scent travels. Work your way from the barrel/site out. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll be happy to walk you through it.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowpoint View Post
    This is our first year putting out a bait stand is there any one out there that can help me out Any thing about baiting tips and ideal location to set a site. Not actual locations but conditions to be looking for or what units to start looking around anything will help. Thanks
    I would start with the search feature on this forum. Read all you can then come back with questions to fill in the gaps.
    Most things have been discussed already.
    And yes your location is very helpful.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Hard to grasp that there could be any "GAPS" on this forum on this subject........

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I would start with the search feature on this forum. Read all you can then come back with questions to fill in the gaps.
    Most things have been discussed already.
    And yes your location is very helpful.

Need to know not only your location, but what tools (Boat, ATV, PA-18, hiking boots) you have access to.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Need to know not only your location, but what tools (Boat, ATV, PA-18, hiking boots) you have access to.
    I will have an ATV mu location is JBER.

Just my opinion...........but if I was you I would not waste time and money on baiting this year. You can not begin to grasp the amount of bait stations with-in 150 miles of Los'Anchorage on every accessible location via plane, boat, ATV, etc.. I suggest you spent all your time and money this year do spot & stalk. All you are likely to get from a bait station this year is Pizzed'off notes from people who have established station near by.

I will have an ATV mu location is JBER.

If you do in fact find a spot, I would recommend using a thick plastic barrel over a metal barrel. If the metal barrel has sharp edges. It can tear and pull the bear's fur. Also, the plastic ones won't dent, and last forever. We have been using the same one for six years.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

Would you recommend glassing from a boat out of Seward or Whittier over trying to bait near anchorage as I'm sure it is pretty much tapped out?

It is NOT that it is tapped out of bears, just that it is over crowded with baiters. There might be 60 bait stations in the short Knik Valley, but high probability you could ride a ATV back there at 3:45 AM and find bears to spot and stalk. Same with Hope Road, bumper to bumper bait stations and I still see bears on the beach or on the hillsides.

Glassing from a boat, even in calm water is difficult. We used to harvest (3) Three black Bears a day off Kenai Lake, but it is over when the leaves un-roll, which is about May 15'th.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts36 View Post
    Would you recommend glassing from a boat out of Seward or Whittier over trying to bait near anchorage as I'm sure it is pretty much tapped out?

So what would you recomend I don't wanna waste my time and money on bait when we could just go hit a lake or river like I said we are new at this thanks for all the advice

If your willing to put in the time and effort the bears will come...

If your serious about getting started and don't mind a LOT of work shoot me a PM. Maybe we can discuss some plans over a beer.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post

If your serious about getting started and don't mind a LOT of work shoot me a PM. Maybe we can discuss some plans over a beer.

Mark
    Thats the right idea! Baiting is a lot of work but well worth the effort. Great way to get out and enjoy the outdoors and get up close. PS don't forget Valdez, for there are a lot of black bears and last year's late season snow reduced the bear take to a minumum. This years lack of snow should make for a great year...looking forward to it myself...ya need a boat, but makes access to lots of bears to be hunted even spot and stalk on the beaches after the grass spouts should be outstanding...Man oh man Spring is getting close...Remember the season closes here in 6D early, June...

What would I recommend you do......??? Give up the NEED to harvest a bear. Note: I did not say Don't harvest a bear, I said give up the NEED to harvest a bear. Spend every possible second you can outside learning about all of the animals in Alaska. Pick a trail and go for a walk, watch, listen, study all of the animals. If you are HELL bent on killing a bear you will shoot the first bear you see, and the odds are it will be a small immature bear, or worse a sow with three cubs the size of a basket ball that you did not see in the 20" grass, because you were hell bent on getting and not learning about the bears. Make your goal be to learn as much as possible about all of the animals in Alaska from the Red back Vole to the ten foot brown bear. You are cheating yourself and so are most who come to Alaska with a PUNCH-Card of Animals that they HAVE to Kill.

If you spend enough time this year learning, studying and observing Moose, Sheep, Goats, Field Mice you will have many opportunities to harvest Black & Brown Bears.

People want to kill the animals like going shopping. They cheat themselves and they cheat the animal. Any 8 year old girl can kill a bear, and they do every year. Take the pressure off you and spend as much time as you can in the wilderness. Learn to be an Alaskan Outdoors-Man and learn to be comfortable in the wilderness, if you are out there you will have chances to watch bears, study bears, and choose to harvest it, or allow it to grow.

Also know that bears can be bald, is take the time to enjoy the Majesty of Alaska's wilderness. Remember.......You asked me to tell you.

So what would you recomend I don't wanna waste my time and money on bait when we could just go hit a lake or river like I said we are new at this thanks for all the advice

I also forgot to ask if you have been up here for at least a year? If nothing has changed, I believe you are still required to be here for one year before harvesting a bear. You also may be required to make a few more post before you can PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post

Mark
    Shimano33 I speak for Hollowpoint that we both are willing to work hard for a bear or two. Both of us have been stationed here going on two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts36 View Post
    Shimano33 I speak for Hollowpoint that we both are willing to work hard for a bear or two. Both of us have been stationed here going on two years.
    If you plan to bait together then I wouldn't mind sitting down and giving you both a few tips and a point in the right direction. From the looks of it you are both Military? If so, I'm on base as well and could easily plan a time to sit down and discuss a few ideas. Multiple people here have done the same for me and I definitely don't mind passing that act along.

you guys can find a bait spot its not that hard if you pm me I will give you some ideas of where to go and I even have some used barrels you can have. I can give you a lot of pointers on what works. people need to help each other out.

Yes we are both Military. That sounds great, definitely would appreciate that. I believe he said he was going to PM you about talking over a beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesome thank you donuts36 and i would really appreciate that i live on base so what ever time works for you just let us know when works best for you thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast