Thread: Pt. Mackenzie - Halibut?

Default Pt. Mackenzie - Halibut?

Was wondering - are you able to catch any chickens around Point Mackenzie? Was thinking the dock area... but haven't been there, so don't know the area at all, in relation to accessing the beach on public land. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

There are no real resident fish in the salt around here. The occasional sea run dolly maybe..... Def not halibut or rockfish. You might catch a body though!

Release Lake Trout

Be careful around point Mackenzie - it gets real shallow a long way's out. Check your charts closely and then know that it changes some from year to year.

I don't have a boat, nor any experience with one. But, the chart thing seems really important in my mind, I know there are various "rocks" in the inlet. I've surf casted and had luck however, just thought it may be deep enough around the dock, but guess not! Thanks for the info!

If you had some luck from shore then definitely try off the dock. There are salmon runs all over upper cook and Turnagain arm, so generally where you find Salmon you'll find Halibut; generally speaking. If by chance there is flat fish swimmers down there I would try for them when the salmon are running. If yea don't wet the hook you'll never rip a lip.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishfight View Post
    I don't have a boat, nor any experience with one. But, the chart thing seems really important in my mind, I know there are various "rocks" in the inlet. I've surf casted and had luck however, just thought it may be deep enough around the dock, but guess not! Thanks for the info!

So here's a question. You've had luck off the beach where? At pt. Mackenzie beach area?

Release Lake Trout

The farthest up the inlet I've heard of anyone catching halibut with some consistency is Kalgin Island, roughly even with the mouth of the Kenai.

While halibut do feed on migrating salmon, the are generally going to be in waters that have an abundance of smaller bait fish and crabs. And waters that hold those bait fish need to proper nutrients and structure. Upper Cook Inlet (UCI) is essentially just silt and silty water.

Even in lower cook inlet in areas that are considered good for catching halibut by shore casting you can expect to put in a couple of fishing days for every halibut you catch. In UCI you could fish the whole summer from shore and not catch a halibut.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I had a friend that supposedly new a spot near Point Possession that produced halibut at the right time of year.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I know this is way off topic but...Hey FishGod...could you please post your new avatar pic in that 'Show your avatar FULL-SIZE' thread?
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ow+your+avatar
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I know this is way off topic but...Hey FishGod...could you please post your new avatar pic in that 'Show your avatar FULL-SIZE' thread?
    AGREED! Maybe even a few more, LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Ha! http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...72#post1380572
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    So here's a question. You've had luck off the beach where? At pt. Mackenzie beach area?
    No, down on the peninsula, before Ninilchik. Sorry for the confusion, should have made that clear.