Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your most embarrassing and infamous misses?

Default Your most embarrassing and infamous misses?

What's your most embarrassing and unbelievable misses? Bow, muzzy or rifle.

I missed a 5x5 elk at <10 yards. I didn't hit a limb, no bomb hit close to me and my bow didn't malfunction. I just neatly put an arrow between his antlers...right where I was looking.

I also emptied my quiver, (EMPTIED!), at a wide-open 6x6 bull at 20 yards. He just politely circled me in the sagebrush while I sank deeper and deeper into buck fever. All shots were about 20 yards.

A long time ago I was rifle hunting mule deer in Utah with my in-laws. A buck comes out of the quakies and right up to my father-in-law and stood 30 yards away. He freaked! He had a lever action at that time. He pulled up and we saw the recoil of his gun but never heard a shot. He was going through the motions but never pulling the trigger. He repeated this until his magazine was empty. He couldn't understand how he had missed a buck that close! When we got done laughing/crying we showed him the pile of live ammo at his feet. He made us swear not to tell anyone back at camp.

I have more....but.

I missed a wolf at 90 yards this fall. I still cry myself to sleep. The ONLY time I can remember I didn't test fire the rifle when I showed up and its shooting 10" high. Lesson RE-learned.

My first goat.
    Now I had just ran 150 yards uphill to get a shot at this goat (see breathing heavy) anyways let's just say I laid some covering fire to pin the goat on the hillside where after by buddy informed me I had 3 shots left I finally made the kill shot. It was a lesson in patience. (7 shots I actually hit it 2 times, all shots under 100 yards)

I once fired every bullet I had (22 or so) at several bull elk from under 100 yards. It was the last time I borrowed a rifle.

Missed a nice 3x3 blacktail at 200 yards with my dad and hunting partner standing next to me...Had three attempts into it also. Last one hit and drew blood but never found the buck. First and only deer that I've wounded and not retrieved. Felt horrible.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

My first sheep- Friday creek with a buddy. We hiked in from the knik river. Outworked another group to get on 17 rams opening day. My partner had first dibs and hit his on the first shot. Sheep were running everywhere and we didn't have time to identify if there was another legal ram in the group. Finally, a clearly full curl ram emerges at 200 yards and proceeds to stand there broadside as I unload on him...I had one in the chamber, thankfully, so I had 5 shots. First 4 pinned him to the mountain cause he didn't know which way to go due to the dust and scree that was flying below him, above him, in front of him, behind him...Finally I calmed myself down and dumped him on the 5th shot- gun was shooting dead on, clearly I wasn't! 4 sheep later and a total of 5 shots...its all about learning I guess. Feels good to be honest too I've never claimed to be an expert marksman, but animals usually don't get away..funny thread!
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

first archery bull elk hunt. nothing happened for days. then heard a faint bugle so i went from ridgetop to valley cow calling him. then of course he would come out at 18yrds while i'm taking off my coat. so i just drew back and sent one! made the field goal. straight over his head and between the horns.

did allow me to find a mtn lion 4x4 muley kill. great wall hanger.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Emptied the 12 ga. at a monster 10 point whitetail back in the day. He was only 50 yards away, and I couldn't stop staring at his rack, which is exactly where all 5 slugs went...whizziing right past his rack. Worse case of buck fever I ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow6360 View Post
    I missed a 5x5 elk at <10 yards. I didn't hit a limb, no bomb hit close to me and my bow didn't malfunction. I just neatly put an arrow between his antlers...right where I was looking.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has shot at a set of antlers I was looking at. Mine was a whopper/monster whitetail, heavy, wide, not too tall but huge for a public land buck. I was videoing him as he walked to my stand, shaking like a leaf, "narrating" into the video to my buddy that this buck would be on the ground in a jiffy. He was 18 yards away just standing there in perfect broad side shot with almost a target on his heart/lung area and I was staring at his rack and released my arrow. The arrow glanced off of one of his tines and he spun around a few times, stared at me and ran off. I REALLY hope I don't do that again.

12 years ago or more I was in a mid October deer stand in southern Illinois. I started rattling and a little six comes in.......soon there after a little 7 comes in......they start sparring directly beneath my tree and I am having a blast watching this. Then a really nice ten point somewhere between 18 and 20 inches struts in and gives both of the chitlins the stinkeye.....I draw back and not thinking about the fact he's downhill and I'm 18 feet uphill in a tree creating a very steep angle, I let loose for 25 yards (he was around 20) and with the incline issues blew it clean over his back. He pranced off to fifty yards and taunted me for a good 5 minutes, never again getting close enough for me to be comfortable. I nearly cried, and that was the best shot I ever had at big whitetail despite all the time I spent down there and all the nice ones I saw at a distance. Still haunts me.

Late October, registration archery goat hunt above Tern Lake. I put on a great stalk on two goats and got right above them on a descending spine. Almost as if on cue, they started to climb right towards me. As they closed the gap to 30 yards, it was almost like their legs were brooms, their long hair sweeping back and forth across the tundra. I did my best to calm my nerves, pulled back an arrow and held until the lead goat turned perfectly broadside, and then...the arrow went bouncing off of the rocks and the goats disappeared in an instant. In hindsight, the cause for my miss was obvious - a large puffy jacket that got in the way of my string. I had never shot my bow in really cold weather before, thus hadn't given adequate thought to the size of my jacket causing a problem. I was 19 and inexperienced, and well...I learned a bit that day.

Mine was a turkey - he gobbled his head off while he was still roosted, then flew down into a field near where I was sitting. I gave him a couple of soft clucks and he came running. Running! It was a bit foggy, but I could see him coming across the field. Finally he stopped right in front of me, stuck his neck out and looked around. "Well, I'm going home with a turkey early today," I said. Bang! And the turkey turned around and ran back across the field away from me. I never cut a feather.

Turns out he was about 50 yards away instead of 30 and I completely misjudged the distance in the fog. Now I put a stick or a decoy at 30 yards so I have a reference point.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Missed a small mule deer doe at 15 yards standing broadside with my flintlock. Shot right underneath it. It ran all of 10 yards and stopped, turned back to watch me scrambling to reload, and continued to stand there long enough for me to miss again at 25 yards. Again, right underneath it. Sometimes all you can do is chuckle and shake your head.

whizzed an arrow over a 6 point bull elk at about 20 yards, standing broadside. missed a whitetail at about 30 yards once with a .243 and ill i could see was hair in the scope. sad days, prob a little buck fever kicking in.

No doubt those shots at the wolf 2 weeks ago will haunt me a while. Standing broadside at 67 yards with no brush in the way. He loped another 10 yards or so and another almost broadside shot. Another few lopes and another shot and miss. I had recently installed a new 'tactical' scope on my 223 and after a rough ride out on my wheeler I later realized the turrets had rotated on the gun on the way out to the hunt. I will remember to eyeball the turrets b4 shooting it next time. I also have a piece of tape across the turrets to further remind me. The day after the misses I took the gun out to see where it was shooting. Sure enough, 24 inches high and right off target. Returned turrets to zero and bingo, back on. Boy, I'm gonna remember this one for a while.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

[sarcasm="on"]

​You guys miss?

I would need a new thread to list my monster buck bow misses. Every one of those misses is incredibly painful to recall!! But one of my funniest misses was in late muzzleloader season. In PA, we can only shoot flint locks, which have an uncanny habit of not going off in the heat of the moment. Amazingly reliable at the range, not so much when confronting monster bucks.

So my buddy Jimmy was putting on a slow push for me on one of his properties like 15yrs ago. I was in a nice stand in a little valley. Foot of snow on the ground and pretty as a picture. Does start funneling down past me as I see a big typical 10pt coming over the hill. We knew this buck as he had survived many close encounters with our ace archers during this particular season. He came in on a trot and I stopped him with a grunt. I pulled the set trigger and eased onto the hair trigger. A 160" buck at 20yds broadside and he was about to catch a bad break. Then the good ole CLICK happened. Flint hit the striker and nothing happened. Being very used to this scenario, I calmly reached down and pulled the hammer back again. Buck was just standing there looking around. Again I got the CLICK. This time, when I brought the gun down off my shoulder to check things out, the damm thing blasts off straight up into the beautiful blue sky. Good ole hang fire!!! Now I was in panic mode. Up in a stand cursing under my breath as I am reloading the gun because the buck was just standing there. I got a tube out, dumped the powder, and started the bullet without spooking the buck. In my elevated state of excitement, half way down the barrel, I snapped the ramrod off in the barrel!!! At that point, I lost my cool and started cursing out loud as I threw the half of ram rod at the buck in disgust. Ringing in the back of my mind was the old man at the range telling me I needed to buy a fiberglass ram rod. That big boy just walked off calmly without a hair out of place. We never saw him again.

Jimmy watched the whole comedy routine from the hill above me and never misses a chance to bust my stones about it. Any time someone mentions a muzzle loader, Jimmy starts in with "remember that ram rod buck". Good times for sure....
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Geat thread, great stories! How about this one?

In 2003, I had been in the state four years and had the exceptional good fortune to draw the walk in Delta sheep tag(DS203). I buy all the gear. Do lots of research. Con a buddy Doug into sherpa duties. So we pack in close to 30 miles. Hunt for a few days. Finally we get on a nice ram with tips above the bridge of his nose and curls down near the jaw. Still the biggest ram I have personally ever seen in the wild. Had to be 38" at least. We sneak in and get prone for what I "guessed" was a bit over 300yd shot. I take the shot. No signs of a hit, but no signs of a miss. Now bear in mind that I had never missed a shot at a game animal so I was very confident in my ability. I was so confident that I couldn't believe that I had missed so I shot and I shot and I shot somemore. After my third shot, I was empty and where was the rest of my ammo? Back in my pack I had dropped about 100yds behind us during the staulk. Hey Doug! Being more fleet of foot and not wanting to be winded for further fabulous shooting I send him for my ammo. Well he sprints back with the rest of my ammo and what do I do? You guessed it. The ram is still working his way up the mountain in front of me, I can see him, and certainly I couldn't have missed ALL three times! Shoot!! So I shot a total of seven times at which time I decided I better save one(Yes I only took 8. Plenty for someone who didn't think he would miss. Lesson 1) for a final kill shot or maybe for me during the long sheepless walk out in case a bear could stop laughing at my incompetance long enough to want to eat me. We couldn't see any blood on the sheep as he went up and over the top of the mountain. We followed all the way over the top anyway and spotted him bedded down but inaccessible still without any blood standing out on that beautiful white coat.

Adding insullt to injury, we had stumbled into a valley of the rams of sorts as there were 12 other rams in this valley with 2 more being obviously legal. A long one with tips as well as a heavy broomer. Grrrrrrr!!! I couln't know for sure if the misses were me(probably) or rifle, but with only one shot left, I couldn't really do any testing and with my head pulled from my *** and finally firmly reattached, I certainly didn't want to risk wounding one of these beauties. (Feel free to snicker at me about that given my previous decision making.) So with my tail firmly tucked, we headed back up and over the mountain to camp. Upon arriving back at camp, I guzzled stream water which I soon puked back up from exhaustion.

The next morning we packed up and headed out. We were about 1/3 of the way out when I realized that if we just maintained a 2mph average, we could make it all the way out by 11pm. Being as dejected as I have ever been, I didn't want to set up camp again. The side benefit of this plan being that it was better for Doug. You see, my good buddy had gotten a small blister on his heel on the trip in and when he sprinted for MY shells, it expanded into a wide open deep flap covering the entire bottom of the heel of his foot. Hands down the worst blister I have ever seen and I have had lots. He said that if he could keep moving, the blister kind of numbed up a bit. If we stopped for a rest, it hurt like hell when he got started again. So on we marched and sure enough, we made it to the truck around midnight. During the last stretch along a road, we were so beyond exhaustion that we were sort of hallucinating/imagining seeing black bears in the shadows on the side of the road.

In the years that followed, I realized how bad I am or how hard it is to judge range in the mountains and figured that ram was LOTS further away than I thought. Lesson 2- Use a range finder. There were plenty of other little lessons, but those were the big 2.

That was a little long and digressed from the whole missed shot theme, but it is certainly my most humiliating shooting/hunting story. Painful in many ways.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    Geat thread, great stories! How about this one?

In the years that followed, I realized how bad I am or how hard it is to judge range in the mountains and figured that ram was LOTS further away than I thought. Lesson 2- Use a range finder. There were plenty of other little lessons, but those were the big 2.

That was a little long and digressed from the whole missed shot theme, but it is certainly my most humiliating shooting/hunting story. Painful in many ways.

Scott
    Great story Scott. With my first sheep hunt coming up, it left me a little queezy(thinking of the misses). I will for sure learn from ur lessons.
    Thx, Dan
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

When I was 17, I was given some old 20 gauge shotgun shells. I used these hunting ruffed grouse. After a 10 mile hike through trails atop hardwood ridges, I spotted what looked like a turkey-sized ruffed grouse. He was 10 yards off the trail, strutting his stuff, all puffed up due to the cold weather. I took aim, and poof......a little smoke and birdshot dribbled out the barrel onto the leaves. He never flew. I shook my head, and walked away.....as I was out of shells.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast