Thread: Sheefish lures

Default Sheefish lures

I will be fishing sheefish next week with my native friend on the Kobuk. What lures should I bring. Any luck with trying a tip up? If so should I use gulp or frozen minnows? I would appreciate and advise.

Jim

All you need is the biggest spoon you can find...dr spoons work great. People have been doing pretty good from what I hear.

You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

We did well with 3-4" soft body bait imitations, dr spoons (sold in the local grocery store on the road across from the ocean) and all but the largest daredevil spoons sold at sportsmans. I want to get back up, I thought they tasted great.

Thanks for the advise, any experience in rattling spoons. Anyone ever tip the spoon with a smelt or artificial attractor like gulp?

don't waste your time or energy getting worked up on trying to "trick" or use any finesse to catch sheefish...you wont need either. get to Kotz, go to the AC store or Rotmans on front street and buy some large or small (either work) Doctor spoons in silver,gold, or pretty much any color if the bite is on and you will do fine if the fish are there. some days its as quick as you can put the spoon down the hole, other days no fish in sight. its of my opinion that if they are there they will pretty much bite. ive had luck with rubber storm fish but usually not necessary. i think tip ups would be too much to mess with especially if your fishing the current of the river. Are you actually fishing the Kobuk river or your friend from Kobuk is taking you fishing...i would imagine most of the big sheefish are near here or in the lake and out of the river by now. im not positive but i believe they leave the rivers after ice up and return to hotham inlet to eat and spend the winter before heading up again after break up. its been a little while since ive been out but last time i went it was pretty much catch a fish almost as soon as your spoon got wet it was just one of those days it couldnt get any better. if you want any info on spots to try feel free to shoot a PM.
    one last thing...use an extremely heavy duty swivel...they will straighten out all but stout ones.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    don't waste your time or energy getting worked up on trying to "trick" or use any finesse to catch sheefish...you wont need either. get to Kotz, go to the AC store or Rotmans on front street and buy some large or small (either work) Doctor spoons in silver,gold, or pretty much any color if the bite is on and you will do fine if the fish are there. some days its as quick as you can put the spoon down the hole, other days no fish in sight. its of my opinion that if they are there they will pretty much bite. ive had luck with rubber storm fish but usually not necessary. i think tip ups would be too much to mess with especially if your fishing the current of the river. Are you actually fishing the Kobuk river or your friend from Kobuk is taking you fishing...i would imagine most of the big sheefish are near here or in the lake and out of the river by now. im not positive but i believe they leave the rivers after ice up and return to hotham inlet to eat and spend the winter before heading up again after break up. its been a little while since ive been out but last time i went it was pretty much catch a fish almost as soon as your spoon got wet it was just one of those days it couldnt get any better. if you want any info on spots to try feel free to shoot a PM.
    one last thing...use an extremely heavy duty swivel...they will straighten out all but stout ones.
    What he said...not technical fishing at all. Great advice!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    All you need is the biggest spoon you can find...dr spoons work great. People have been doing pretty good from what I hear.

More sound advice! The doctor knows....and he makes house calls! LOL
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Make sure your hooks are sharp she fish have really hard mouths.