Thread: Which back country cook stove

Default Which back country cook stove

I'm in the market for a new backpack cook system for a fall goat hunt in the chugach. What would be the stove you would buy right now? A few yrs ago everyone was on the jet boil bandwagon is this still the unit to "have"?
    I understand the jet boil is only good for heating water for mnt house etc which is ok but are there other options that are better and can be used as a stove to cook with?
    Thanks
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I have the soto micro regulator and its done me really well! No matter the conditions it performed awesome. I have taken a titanium jetboil cup and cut slits in the bottom so it locks onto the stove nice and steady even in heavy winds. Another forum member has done the same and maybe he'll chime in about his experience with his stove ( common luke )

My whole system weighs about 8.5 ounces.

I still like the Jet Boil set up although if I were buying a new one I'd get the one that uses an inverted gas cartridge for liquid fuel and improved cold weather performance. In temps down to about 15-20F it works just fine and is dead nuts simple to use.

The Jet Boil really is only a water boiler but that covers 99% of everything I'm doing in the backcountry anyway. I tend to keep the grub pretty simple.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I used a soto modified to work with my Jet Boil cup until JetBoil changed theor stoves over to micro regulated like a Soto. So now I just use a Jet Boil Sol TI.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I personally prefer the msr type stoves. I use a dragon fly and a titanium pot and I'm sure I have more hours on it then I can count. I use prett much any type of fuel I can find. I can rebuild it in the field, I can simmer to slow cook or keep coffee water hot. Been bullet proof for me and mines even in two pieces now

Fits better in the pot for storage

Snow peak lite max titanium stove @ 11,000 BTUs and weighs 2.9 ounces. Been using it it now for the past 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I used a soto modified to work with my Jet Boil cup until JetBoil changed theor stoves over to micro regulated like a Soto. So now I just use a Jet Boil Sol TI.
    Are you liking this setup Steve?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Are you liking this setup Steve?
    Yes,, for just boiling water, very hard to beat. Been using this one for years,
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Been using the Jetboil for a while with no complaints. Simple and fast.

Jet boil SOL. I've been extremely impressed with how well mine works and how well it does on fuel. I've used mine down to - 20 and it's always done good for me. It's compact lightweight and goes everywhere with me

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting

Jetboil SOL I have had good luck for the past three seasons. no issues down to 0.

I've had a couple PMs about this stove, so I thought I'd show a pic of it, its very light and durable, and along with the titanium cook pot it makes for a good light weight set up. I can boil water, make tea or coffee if you choose , I can even stir fry in it, and the cook pot cleans fast and easy. It may not be the best for some but its the best that suits me. Look them up, or check them out at REI or sportsmans when they get them in.

http://<a href="http://s302.photobuc...&#91;/IMG]</a>
    Last edited by kahahawai; 03-17-2014 at 23:17. Reason: posted pic as video

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I've had a couple PMs about this stove, so I thought I'd show a pic of it, its very light and durable, and along with the titanium cook pot it makes for a good light weight set up. I can boil water, make tea or coffee if you choose , I can even stir fry in it, and the cook pot cleans fast and easy. It may not be the best for some but its the best that suits me. Look them up, or check them out at REI or sportsmans when they get
    http://<a href="http://s302.photobuc...&#91;/IMG]</a>
    Nothing showing.....

Snow peak lite max titanium stove @ 11,000 BTUs and weighs 2.9 ounces. Been using it it now for the past 3 years.

I use a similar stove for short trips. My only issue is for long trips the amount of fuel you burn makes it weight efficient to carry a jet boil or MSR reactor.

For a two man water boiler the Reactor is hard to beat. Not a cooker though.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

+1 on jet boil sol 10.5 oz with the new regulator it is faster and more reliable at lower temps. Reactor is also a great stove (especially for melting snow) but I prefer the size, weight, price and stability of the jet boil system.... Some air transporters are not allowing canister stoves if this is an issue for you I like the MSR universal it is heavier but runs on canisters or just about any liquid fuel and my experience is that the longer trip and the more people that you have in your party the more efficient white gas gets. You might want to check out the Adventures in Stoving website I have not been on there in a while but there historically there has been lots of field test and data for a ton of different stoves... Also if you get it narrowed down to a couple of stoves there are a bunch of side by side test on You Tube. Best of luck. Greg

Hope this link works..

http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....gear-here.html

I've had a couple PMs about this stove, so I thought I'd show a pic of it, its very light and durable, and along with the titanium cook pot it makes for a good light weight set up. I can boil water, make tea or coffee if you choose , I can even stir fry in it, and the cook pot cleans fast and easy. It may not be the best for some but its the best that suits me. Look them up, or check them out at REI or sportsmans when they get them in.
    [QUOTE=kahahawai;1378277]

http://s302.photobucket.com/user/AKs...eakTi.jpg.html

always been a fan of the MSR pocket rocket (around 3.2 ounces or so). more of a water boiler but i have a little Ti frying pan a few inches across you can cut up smokies or sausages and cook em up.