Thread: BOG Meeting today in regards to Waterfowl Proposals

Default BOG Meeting today in regards to Waterfowl Proposals

Would of expected to see more there. Hoping more submitted online information.

Was only three there today. Hope more show up...

Thanks goes out to ones that showed up. I think some very good testimony's were given. We shall see.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Hugh, you had said that there was a line up of people to speak, sounds like lots there, maybe just not many duck hunters. What is the short paragraph condensation of what was said and what was the most prominant subject being mentioned. Bud
    Wasilla

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Ill be in Monday... don't forget, you can get a lot accomplished talking to the board members on their breaks. Thanks for taking the time to be part of the process
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I will add that there was only one person there in support of the proposals. I'll let your imagination run wild on this..

I will tell you there was only 55 people at the meeting to testify. That is sad compared to the thousands these proposals can affect. On that note..that is not to mention the ones who filed online and I am sure many did. I hope so.

Out of that 55 there, only five mentioned the proposals 151-155. Only three of those pertained to strictly 151-155. I will let you do the math..it was not good.

My stance as the President of AWA was to approach them all in general at first. Then break them down. I did pretty good job in the allocated time of 10 mins. Not easy, and I am hoping this changes over the years to come. I had 8 pages of notes, documents and my stats to back up questioning if it came to that. It did not, They know everything I said was true. They are familiar with State and Federal regulation.

I simply reminded them that these were in place and effectively working. To consider the common sense approach to these proposals and realize they are geared toward micromanaging what is already in place.

Please read the proposals and if you have question..call me or post on here. I will briefly describe what I gathered from it.

The Chairman and a few others I felt were leaning toward the recovery of the leg meat on the larger waterfowl species, ie. Cranes, Geese and Swans. My testimony in regards to the harvest of hind quarters Proposal 153 I think, was that if I am able to discard 500lbs of brown bear meat legally in the state of Alaska..why would I be required to harvest a tendon laden 1oz(duck)-1lb Swan. This proposal was ridiculous and did not pass the common sense test...obviously more was stated.

In regards to the Possession limit. Proposal 155. This proposal was a back door to limit the number of day afield we would have if the limits could not get adjusted or the season shortened. IT also would CRUSH all waterfowl guide services in Alaska. Three days is the current law. This would shut us down for possessing more than one days worth of birds. There is more to this proposal..but my argument was the guides, and why am I not allowed to keep 40lbs of duck meat in my freezer if they are allowed to keep 200lbs of moose meat in theirs. If I want to keep as much as I can, hunt as often as I can and harvest what I am legally required to...why even consider the possibility of limiting the number of days I can hunt...(backdoor approach) because they know they are not going to get the season dates adjusted and they want their K-Bay area protected.

I discussed with them outside of the Board room many options and we shared many thoughts on the proposals. They basically want the K-Bay area/Region closed for duckhunting. This is not going to happen and I expressed my concern and was very blunt. When told that 1/3 of duckhunters hunt in the K-Bay area..I simply raised the BS flag and said that was not true. There is one guide down there. 90% of the duckhunters I know hunt in other areas to include, Valdez, Cordova, Whittier, and the anchorage and Mat-Su area. Bottom line is this is simply not true.

In regards to proposal 151 Log book. This was another ridiculous burden applied and would punish the guides for not complying. Ridiculous and that Federal law requires all waterfowlers that purchase a HIP stamp is chosen to participate in the harvest data. Again..require them by law..this is not an option. When presented with the actual form I had on hand...they were not aware that sea ducks were on the form. (Due Diligence was not done on their part) Then the comment was made to add each individual species.. I simply said they would have to take that up with the feds..bottom line is the system is in place and Alaska is obviously working with them in obtaining harvest data.

Proposal 152-154 pretty much was in regards to meat harvested, wanten waste etc. My testimony was in regards to education, ethics, and promoting the waterfowling heritage to the youth. Reporting violations and continuing to do the right thing.

They were concerned about the buckets of over 60 birds carcasses discarded in the bays when the hunters return. Again..Federal law requires the removal of the breast only. IF they kill their limits(Assuming 6 hunters=60 ducks) then yes..this could be an eye sore to see 60 bird carcasses floating out to sea..but the bottom line is they are legally required by law to do whatever they want to with them. Whether they use the feathers to tie flys, pluck the duck, give them to trappers, train waterfowl hunting dogs etc..its is their choice. Congrats to them for having a great day waterfowling. Again..common sense approach.

If I was to see any changes in the regs..it would be the harvest of larger birds and their legs. I heard the board ask a few natives this question when it came up with them. I testified that I understand the benefit from utilizing the whole bird..I have in the past..but for most waterfowlers they don't. They law does not require that and it is a measly portion in regards to what is actually required by law to retain. I think they agreed. We will see.

I did stay around to listen to their testimony...got bored and left toward the end. I did speak with a board member yesterday after the meeting was over and was able to express our concern in my testimony today. I personally think it went well.

I was officially representing AWA and the waterfowlers and guides across Alaska. I personally would have liked to see more there doing the same. Although I will say..they know they have someone now to contend with and they will always have to deal with AWA in the future to deal in regards to any future proposals submitted to the BOG.

I will discuss this with the our board members and the possibility of submitting proposals in the future to help regulate and maintain our hunting rights here in Alaska.

Below was my closing remarks

In closing:
    As President of AWA, an avid outdoorsman and passionate waterfowler it is my job to come before you and provide this statement on behalf of all Waterfowlers and waterfowl guides throughout Alaska. They are my members, associates, and friends.

They are all just as passionate about managing, preserving the waterfowling heritage and maintaining a balance, too ensure our future generations have the ability to share the same passion as they have for years to come in the waterfowling sport.

It is in my opinion (and many of our members) that the above companies and organizations putting forward these proposals have a hidden agenda.
    Anybody who has been following the history of the K-Bayhunting
    proposals can assume this. I have to suspect that there is an alternative reason here for wanting these changes implemented. It is your job to ensure you perform your duties in accordance with the rules governing such.You represent the thousands of hunters, outdoor men and women, wildlife, and the future generations to come. I appreciate your time today.

Alaska Waterfowl Association is dedicated to the preservation of the waterfowling heritage and conservation practices in Alaska. To help promote waterfowl hunting in a responsible and ethical manner by its members through Fellowship,Leadership, Mentorship, Education, and Dedication. To help preserve and ensure our rights to Alaska’s Waterfowling heritage and traditions within Alaska.

We will continue to fight for the rights of Waterfowlers across Alaska and do our part as waterfowlers, conservationist and managers of this precious Alaskan resource.

Lastly:

I just don't think making proposals for personnel interest are in the best interest of Alaska's resources, if they think they can get away with it.
    It affects thousands and needs to be a well thought out process backed up by sound scientific data. Not a personnel one.

Thanks for your time.

Hugh
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Hugh, you made some very good arguments and I thank you for voicing your opinions on my behalf. Hope all goes well. Bud
    Wasilla

Hugh,
    I know you gave up your weekend waiting to speak at the BOG hearing. I want you to know, I appreciate your hard work and dedication. You promised to bring Alaska Waterfowl Association to "the next level" and I see your vision for AWA coming to fruition. In a world of "Big-Talkers" you stand out as a man of action. I'm glad to know you.

Cheers,
    HH

Thanks Hugh!

Delta AC has had some concerns as these proposals could have an affect here also and we simply don't see the need for it.

I'm glad you were able to represent Alaskan Waterfowl Hunters.

Thanks again!

Vern Aiton
    Delta AC

Proposals 151,153,154,155 failed. 152 passed with amendment. All leg and thigh meat from swans,cranes and geese have to be salvaged. We got them to drop ducks from this proposal. Wish more of you were there to testify, thanks to the guys who did.

Thanks for your efforts guys as that Kbay stuff was BS greenie motivated.

I've never been able to chew a crane leg......

Hugh,
    I know you gave up your weekend waiting to speak at the BOG hearing. I want you to know, I appreciate your hard work and dedication. You promised to bring Alaska Waterfowl Association to "the next level" and I see your vision for AWA coming to fruition. In a world of "Big-Talkers" you stand out as a man of action. I'm glad to know you.

Cheers,
    HH
    x 2 to above post
    thank you to all that prepared for this past weekend.
    steve thompson
    Girdwood,Ak.

Thanks guys... It had to be done.

If anyone has any reservations on joining AWA.
    If you hunt, guide, want to learn, teach, help, mentor, or spend time with waterfowlers across Alaska.

You need to get involved with AWA. We are here for you! Come to a meeting and sit around the table and listen to these guys talk. You will want to join, and get involved with AWA.

Youth shoot coming up in May. If you want to help or learn more let us know.

Also, we will be at the Sportsman Show.. Booth 423. Stop by and chat.

Thanks again to all the members, old and new and to the time and energy you have devoted to AWA. It's all about supporting the waterfowl, wetlands and the waterfowling heritage.

Hugh