Thread: Website question

Default Website question

Guys I am looking for a website that you pick the caliber and a list of bullet weights and the powder charges for them.I found it awile back but cannot find it now.Thanks for the help-Tim

OK,found the website but still doesnt answer my question.

How do I find a starting point for a bullet that is not listed? I picked up a bag of 8mm 185gr Remington Core-Lokts last night but cannot find it listed anywhere.All that is listed for any 8mm caliber rifle is 180 and 195gr bullets.I would like to use IMR 4831 as my powder.Any help will be greatly apprecited.

Quote Originally Posted by tjkanavel View Post
    OK,found the website but still doesnt answer my question.

How do I find a starting point for a bullet that is not listed? I picked up a bag of 8mm 185gr Remington Core-Lokts last night but cannot find it listed anywhere.All that is listed for any 8mm caliber rifle is 180 and 195gr bullets.I would like to use IMR 4831 as my powder.Any help will be greatly apprecited.
    What caliber is this for? 8x57, 8x60, 8x68, 8mm-06, 8mmRem Mag, 325 WSM, 8mm Whiz Bang.... I would think using the 195 grain data for your particular caliber would be a good place to start. If I knew the actual caliber I could give you an answer.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

this is for my 325 WSM. I picked a pack of these up last night for $11 for 100 bullets.Figure if nothing else I could use them as plinking rounds.I have used Core-Lokts in the past and been pleased with them,but figure they might be moving alittle too fast out of the Wizzum.Thanks Murphy-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tjkanavel View Post
    this is for my 325 WSM. I picked a pack of these up last night for $11 for 100 bullets.Figure if nothing else I could use them as plinking rounds.I have used Core-Lokts in the past and been pleased with them,but figure they might be moving alittle too fast out of the Wizzum.Thanks Murphy-Tim
    Tim,

Good buy on those. I buy core-Lokts when I can find them and they are usually a bargain. Use any where from 64.0 to 70 grains of IMR 4831. A case ful of that powder will work fine. I don't think you can get enough of that in the case to hit max pressure. Yeah, I should have remembered your 325 WSM. As I have said before that is the best of all the WSM's except for the home-made ones, of course. You should snatch up all of that excellent Winchester WSM brass you can find, it is my prediction that it will be going away.

As for your 185 Cor-Lokts they would be fine on deer sized critters up to black bear I would say. I would keep velocity at around 2800 fps or so and they will be ok. Hornady used to have a 195 grain round nose bullet that was very accurate in my 8-06 and could be driven to about 2750 and was a serious killer. Round nosed and semi-spitzers are way too old fashioned nowadays to be used in public, I have to keep plastic tipped spitzers in my pocket to show friends when they ask what I'm using. Just pull out the old plain jane round nosed Core-Lokts for shootin' critters. :-)
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Round nosed and semi-spitzers are way too old fashioned nowadays to be used in public, I have to keep plastic tipped spitzers in my pocket to show friends when they ask what I'm using. Just pull out the old plain jane round nosed Core-Lokts for shootin' critters. :-)
    Very, very funny! Fell off my chair!

I know it's not specifically relevant, but I have used 150 RN core lokt in my .270 for moose, back when I didn't know any better and didn't know about those fancy bullets. I recently chrono'd 5 that I found in the back of the safe and they went at 2925fps from my 24" barrel. I shot a moose once in the chest facing me. The round went through the lungs/chest ribs and was found under the offside shoulder in a 120 grain mushroom, much like you would expect from a Nosler. The broadside "insurance" shot went through and through. I stopped using them as I couldn't get them to group under 1.5" as if that matters.

This is a long winded way of saying that they are surprisingly good on game up to moose. Wouldn't want to defend myself from a bear, but the 180 CL is the round of choice for my non handloading friends for their 06's.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Very, very funny! Fell off my chair!
    Agreed!!!! Isnt it funny how if you dont have the "newest" toy you are "old fashioned".....................oh wait a minute,I did buy a 325 WSM didnt I?

Thanks again Murphy, you are a life saver, or a money saver,which ever way you want to look at it.