Thread: Charging House Batteries

Default Charging House Batteries

Wondering if any electrical guys are on here.

I'm having an issue with my house bank charging off my alternator. I have two 8d batteries in parallel for my house, and a isolated 8d for my starting. The local mechanic told me to run an oil switch off my John Deere 6068, to a solenoid, which was supposed to divert charge from my alternator to my house batteries when oil was flowing. Well, according to my volt meter, they ain't charging. The cranking battery gets plenty of juice from the alternator though. Any thoughts?

Seems like a n/o pressure switch would work if you are getting enough oil pressure to close the contacts - which sounds like you are not.

You could just put a 1/2/all battery switch in. Depending on the engine - you only want to change it when the motor is off. Run on all, then switch it to the house when you stop - keeping your starting battery ready for when you get up and go again.

With out a lot more information it hard to say what is causing your problem. Do you have a schematic? With the engine not running ground the oil switch, does the solenoid click? If it did, turn the engine on and ground the oil switch again. Did that fix the problem? If it did you may have the wrong type oil switch.

I should have a pdf file attached with a wiring diagram of how I've got it wired in. OPS is the oil switch.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That helpful.
    Do you have a VOM? Have you tried grounding the ops with the engine running?
    With the engine running what is the voltage at the alternator?

do you have the right solenoid? sometimes the 1 or 2 terminal is not the solenoid ground but an auxiliary terminal and the solenoid is grounded by the mounting bracket. if the solenoid is correct ground terminal 2 and it should click.

Ok, think I know what it is. Basically, I have a wire running from post #2 on the solenoid, running to the OPS. Then, for some reason, it's wired on the other side of the OPS to come back to post 3 on the solenoid. That wire coming out of the OPS should be just going to engine ground, right? The local mechanic made me up that diagram. I have no idea why I ran the other side of the OPS back to the solenoid.

Sound right but with out knowing more about the OPS can't say for sure it will work. DO you have a VOM and know how to use it????

yeah, I have one, and I'm familiar with it.

Default be sure about type of solenoid

Ive seen a lot of guys try a setup like you are doing, with a lot of different strategies on energizing the solenoid. Be sure that the solenoid you chose is rated for continuous operation. I've seen a lot of solenoids burn up in minutes to hours cause they aren't designed for extended operation. I know the names are often used the same, but a relay that can handle the current you need, is what you may be after.
    There is a solid state product out there that does what you want, I can't remember the manufacturer. (maybe Blue Seas).
    QF

Why not just use an ACR from blue sea? I have never had any trouble with mine.

That's what I'll do it I can't get what I have to work. I spent more on the oil switch and he new solenoid than I would have on a ACR. But, the comm fish guys down here swear on the oil switch.

Got the ground right and it's charging the batteries.

Scratch that problem off the list. Now I'm on to building a bypass valve for the steering. I keep joking to my wife that I'll be ready to go fishing in 2016.

well explain what that means I got the ground right. Explain by your wiring diagram what you had to change. Thanks

For some reason, when it got wired, the wire coming out of the oil switch was brought back to post # 3 on the solenoid. The diagram was right, and that wire should have been going to an engine ground. I jumped down there yesterday and realized that. Corrected it this morning, fired it up, and my volt meter on my panel showed the alternator charging my house batteries when the oil switch was activated.