Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Etolin Elk--DE323

  1. #1

    Default Etolin Elk--DE323

    A friend and myself both drew for the late rifle season on Etolin.... There will be three of us (2 tags) but possibly looking for another tag holder. I have already arranged for transportation from Sitka to Etolin. Please contact me via PM if you drew a tag and are interested. Thanks

  2. #2
    Member Jeff U's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    148

    Default

    I had the first season last year, tough hunt, weather was really tough. Expect delays going and out.

  3. #3
    Member Anythingalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Sitka, Ak
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Pacific-23 on this site (also from Sitka, as am I) drew this tag this year also. He accompanied someone on that hunt in 2012 and they got an Elk. The Elk are so hard to find on Etolin that it would probably be more successful to have multiple parties of hunters, rather than one large group with multiple tags.

  4. #4
    Member Bighorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, Alaska
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Pacific got 321 and I'm helping him this go-round. Good luck on your late season hunt.

  5. #5
    Member cjustinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kotz
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Pacific-23 on this site (also from Sitka, as am I) drew this tag this year also. He accompanied someone on that hunt in 2012 and they got an Elk. The Elk are so hard to find on Etolin that it would probably be more successful to have multiple parties of hunters, rather than one large group with multiple tags.
    being an avid elk hunter before i moved up here you kind of caught my curiosity. what makes this such a tough hunt? low denisties? thick cover? just interested is all. did you try calling at all? elk hutning is one of my favorite things by far (maybe mulies too) you cant say enough about a 6 point bull screaming at you from a few yards away....nothing like it.

  6. #6
    Member Anythingalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Sitka, Ak
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    being an avid elk hunter before i moved up here you kind of caught my curiosity. what makes this such a tough hunt? low denisties? thick cover? just interested is all. did you try calling at all? elk hutning is one of my favorite things by far (maybe mulies too) you cant say enough about a 6 point bull screaming at you from a few yards away....nothing like it.

    I haven't personally done the Etolin hunt before, But low densities, thick cover, and difficult terrain make this a tough hunt. If I'm not mistaken, the hunter success rate is something like 7%.

  7. #7
    Member muskeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hollis
    Posts
    963

    Default

    some one tell Bighorse his PM box is full !!!!!

  8. #8

    Default

    I pulled the 321 tag this year. Trying to figure out some details, but I'm leaning towards flying in at this point.

  9. #9
    Member cjustinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kotz
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    I haven't personally done the Etolin hunt before, But low densities, thick cover, and difficult terrain make this a tough hunt. If I'm not mistaken, the hunter success rate is something like 7%.
    yeah 7% is pretty dang low. i wonder if thats a function of a lot of first time elk hunters getting the tag with no elk hunting experience or its just that difficult. sounds like a good challenging hunt either way. ill have to go through the forum and read some reports from there.

    edit. i read bighorses hunt report from 2012. looks like an amazing hunt and and an amazing place.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    154

    Default

    I think its safe to say that Etolin has a "steep" learning curve. The place is just flat out mean. One mile on Etolin might as well be ten miles. Most people that go once, never look back. You hear a lot more horror stories than anything else. Especially if there is an animal to pack out. Sheep and goat hunting are entry level compared to Etolin elk. Imagine hitting the beach/strip/road only to have to turn around and do it again a couple more times. I think 7% sounds a little high too.

    If you do go, bring your rubber raingear, heavy gloves for the brush, trekking poles, crampons, the best pack frame you have and a NEVER say die attitude. Expect to run into other hunters. And if you do get the drop on a bull, make the first shot count, then hit him till he's dead!

    Good luck.
    Alpine is awesome...

  11. #11
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Yeah, even though I've never hunted elk up here, from everything I've heard it's just the terrain that's the killer.....a lot different than hunting elk down in the lower 48. Don't get me wrong, I did some climbing for elk in CO. before, but from all the hunting I've done up here, I can imagine going after an elk in this stuff can't be easy.

    Plus, it isn't just limited to Etolin either. I know some guys that always deer hunt on Kodiak. One year one of the guys had an elk tag and killed a bull the first day. The rest of the crew were really cussin' him by the the end of the hunt, as after helping him get his bull down off the mountain they didn't have any time left to hunt deer.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •