Thread: Etolin Elk--DE323

Default Etolin Elk--DE323

A friend and myself both drew for the late rifle season on Etolin.... There will be three of us (2 tags) but possibly looking for another tag holder. I have already arranged for transportation from Sitka to Etolin. Please contact me via PM if you drew a tag and are interested. Thanks

I had the first season last year, tough hunt, weather was really tough. Expect delays going and out.

Pacific-23 on this site (also from Sitka, as am I) drew this tag this year also. He accompanied someone on that hunt in 2012 and they got an Elk. The Elk are so hard to find on Etolin that it would probably be more successful to have multiple parties of hunters, rather than one large group with multiple tags.

Pacific got 321 and I'm helping him this go-round. Good luck on your late season hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Pacific-23 on this site (also from Sitka, as am I) drew this tag this year also. He accompanied someone on that hunt in 2012 and they got an Elk. The Elk are so hard to find on Etolin that it would probably be more successful to have multiple parties of hunters, rather than one large group with multiple tags.
    being an avid elk hunter before i moved up here you kind of caught my curiosity. what makes this such a tough hunt? low denisties? thick cover? just interested is all. did you try calling at all? elk hutning is one of my favorite things by far (maybe mulies too) you cant say enough about a 6 point bull screaming at you from a few yards away....nothing like it.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    being an avid elk hunter before i moved up here you kind of caught my curiosity. what makes this such a tough hunt? low denisties? thick cover? just interested is all. did you try calling at all? elk hutning is one of my favorite things by far (maybe mulies too) you cant say enough about a 6 point bull screaming at you from a few yards away....nothing like it.

I haven't personally done the Etolin hunt before, But low densities, thick cover, and difficult terrain make this a tough hunt. If I'm not mistaken, the hunter success rate is something like 7%.

some one tell Bighorse his PM box is full !!!!!

I pulled the 321 tag this year. Trying to figure out some details, but I'm leaning towards flying in at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    I haven't personally done the Etolin hunt before, But low densities, thick cover, and difficult terrain make this a tough hunt. If I'm not mistaken, the hunter success rate is something like 7%.
    yeah 7% is pretty dang low. i wonder if thats a function of a lot of first time elk hunters getting the tag with no elk hunting experience or its just that difficult. sounds like a good challenging hunt either way. ill have to go through the forum and read some reports from there.

edit. i read bighorses hunt report from 2012. looks like an amazing hunt and and an amazing place.

I think its safe to say that Etolin has a "steep" learning curve. The place is just flat out mean. One mile on Etolin might as well be ten miles. Most people that go once, never look back. You hear a lot more horror stories than anything else. Especially if there is an animal to pack out. Sheep and goat hunting are entry level compared to Etolin elk. Imagine hitting the beach/strip/road only to have to turn around and do it again a couple more times. I think 7% sounds a little high too.

If you do go, bring your rubber raingear, heavy gloves for the brush, trekking poles, crampons, the best pack frame you have and a NEVER say die attitude. Expect to run into other hunters. And if you do get the drop on a bull, make the first shot count, then hit him till he's dead!

Good luck.
    Alpine is awesome...

Yeah, even though I've never hunted elk up here, from everything I've heard it's just the terrain that's the killer.....a lot different than hunting elk down in the lower 48. Don't get me wrong, I did some climbing for elk in CO. before, but from all the hunting I've done up here, I can imagine going after an elk in this stuff can't be easy.

Plus, it isn't just limited to Etolin either. I know some guys that always deer hunt on Kodiak. One year one of the guys had an elk tag and killed a bull the first day. The rest of the crew were really cussin' him by the the end of the hunt, as after helping him get his bull down off the mountain they didn't have any time left to hunt deer.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!