Thread: Has anyone built a subteranean greenhouse?

Default Has anyone built a subteranean greenhouse?

I'm planning on building a greenhouse and was thinking of building a subteranean greenhouse as it should reduce heating requirements in the spring and fall. From the research I've done they should be oriented with the long side running east west and a berm should be built up on the North wall. What I'm envisioning is a 12' wide 20' long greenhouse with an 8' wide 4' deep trench in the middle. I'd have a 2' wide ground level shelf at the back of the greenhouse with a 4' high back wall against the berm, 2' wide walkways on either side of a 4' wide raised bed in the middle and another 2' wide ground level shelf at the front (S side) I'm hopeful a propane powered greenhouse heater will be sufficient to allow us to start growing in mid to late March and harvest into mid October.

Cursious if anyone else has built such a greenhouse and if there are any lessons learned specific to use in AK.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'm planning on building a greenhouse and was thinking of building a subteranean greenhouse as it should reduce heating requirements in the spring and fall. From the research I've done they should be oriented with the long side running east west and a berm should be built up on the North wall. What I'm envisioning is a 12' wide 20' long greenhouse with an 8' wide 4' deep trench in the middle. I'd have a 2' wide ground level shelf at the back of the greenhouse with a 4' high back wall against the berm, 2' wide walkways on either side of a 4' wide raised bed in the middle and another 2' wide ground level shelf at the front (S side) I'm hopeful a propane powered greenhouse heater will be sufficient to allow us to start growing in mid to late March and harvest into mid October.

Cursious if anyone else has built such a greenhouse and if there are any lessons learned specific to use in AK.
    I do not have a link, but there is a guy in Bethel that has done this...very successfully and on a very large scale. At least I think that is what I read (it has been almost a year since I read about it).

Why when I read the title I thought DEA?

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Absolutely no interest in illegal herbs, but I'd love to have vine ripened organic veggies in my backyard.

I'm thinking something along these lines

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.