Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good tent for camping on the Yukon River

Default Good tent for camping on the Yukon River

Folks,

Planning a long Yukon River rafting trip that will include camping on sand bars and islands. Got several tents, but for this trip I need something bigger and roomier than what I have. One prerequisite is that the tent have windows on three or four sides.

No doubt the 4-season Alaska doom tents would be the best wind protection, but all that I've seen utilize a rain fly that ovides no windows. So - I'm looking at the teepee design for the first time for weight and windows (many have three windows).

My biggest concern at the moment is knowing that the tee pee designs utilize few poles - but lots of stakes and guide lines - which means driving lots of stakes. I'm concerned that I'll run into gravel areas where it will be next to impossible to drive a stake.

I would like to try a tee pee design, but would appreciate any thoughts a good 6 man tent for the trip that is not too heavy and has windows on both side and the back that is not covered by a rain fly. Many thanks.

I'd consider the Kifaru tipe (8-man). Plenty of gravel/sand bars on the Yukon. No worries with driving stakes. Get long military style aluminum stakes (12" or longer) to anchor in silty sandbars. I believe they have a 12-man version, which would be better for 6 actual people. The 8-man is roomy for 4 guys and gear.

Windows will be hard to find useful, since they are usually small and cloud up easily with condensation. With the Tipi you can open the doors on each side and use the mosquito netting to keep bugs out, which opens up the visibility up and downstream.

larry

Look at beckelcanvas.com the Eena TT tent might fit your needs, I have one, it is light and only has 5 light weight poles, mine is 15'x15' They should be able to put some windows in the walls. They custom make each tent, but get it done in a timely manner.

Default Tent Info on The Alaska Outdoors Supersite

You might have a look at our gear section, linked in the site navigation at the top of this page. It contains a section on tents, tipis and awnings that you will find useful. In the menu on the left side of the gear pages, you'll find links to our review of the Kifari Tipi and several other tents we have field tested, in some cases for several years.

You might also have a look at our YouTube channel, AKSupersite, which contains several video reviews of various tents, including Mountaineering Tents, the Arctic Oven and the Eureka Timberline Outfitter Six. We are not paid for these reviews, and work hard to maintain our objectivity in these and all our product reviews for the site.

I have to ask before I offer a specific suggestion; why do you need that many windows, and do you plan to use this tent in other contexts? Your answers will help me to frame a better recommendation for you.

Here's our overview of mountaineering tents, on the off chance that this might work for your situation.

Regards,

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 03-14-2014 at 18:44.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Another option for guying out if you find yourself camping on gravel/rock bars is to use lightweight laundry bags full of rocks. It's a tip I picked up on this forum and has worked well for me. The bags weigh next to nothing and pack away fairly small. If all you have are small rocks just fill the mesh bag with them, place at the appropriate point, and tie off the guy line. Also, nothing beats a Paco Pad for sleeping on gravel bars (other than a cot). A nice, soft Yukon sand bar will be a small piece of heaven.

Yukon below Forty Mile confluence.

You can see the white mesh bags behind the tent in the picture below. Brooks Range.

the best river tent I've use so far, is the msr back country barn. it's a three pole with 74 in. height. set up is fast, and there's lots of guy out points. danatherock first led to the idea of this tent. being crouched over with no space, scks. good thing about this tent, is the floor is a removable bath tub. so you can have one as a cook shack, and the other as a sleep tent. standing in a tent is so darned nice! I had a stove jack sewed into mine. I went with this design, because it was sturdier than my older cook shack, a eureka northern breeze....which was a terrible design IMO. biggest negative so far: the price was way too expensive.

Many thanks for the help folks.

Larry - When I say "windows", I'm referring to zippered openings to expose bug netting that allow one to unzip and look at surroundings without having to crawl out of the tent. Once unzipped, visibility of course is unaffected by condensation. In hot weather I'm guessing they would provide excellent ventilation. The idea came from looking at Cabela's Outback teepee series; although at that price range, that particular teepee may not be robust enough for my intended purposes. The tent is for this one very long trip to be used as the "primary" tent. The spare emergency tent will be my much smaller/lower profile tried and tested all-season tent. The unprotected wind on a sand bar/island will be horrendous at times.

Mike - Excellent resources - thanks. Interesting that reading the review of the teepee, it mentions as a downside the "possible" dislike for no floor, lack of windows, and venting. I have no idea how well the Cabela Outback teepee works, but they seem to have tried to address all three of those concerns. The Outback has all the guide lines to mess with and with its raised sides, I expect certainly not as wind resistant. On the plus side, it provide more usable space inside the footprint. I've never used a teepee design - so this is all conjecture. In answer to your question about expectation of other intended purposes - there are none - just this one very long Yukon river trip. My backup all season tent is similar to the one you reviewed in the snow.

Mainer - I got to admit that back country barn is very appealing for my purposes. The REI review mentions using guide lines with it for high wind conditions. Could you please add your own experience/comments about this tent? In reality, there will only be two of use in this tent, but I intend to err on the safe side and be off the water during bad weather - so the two of us could be spending days in the tent playing cribbage

I want to be clear and say I have not used this setup beyond setting it up, but as a "one and done" and having a backup tent, this may be your Huckleberry, 200 bucks for the 18x18 and 100 bucks for the 10x10.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...8cheap-Tipi%29
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Eureka Timberline Outfitter Six

You might also have a look at the Eureka Timberline Outfitter Six. Plenty of room, double doors with full-length mosquito netting, bathtub floor and you can stand up inside! I was a little nervous until you said you were bringing a mountaineering tent along in case the wind and rain kick up, so if you have that covered, I think the TLO-6 would be a great tent for your purposes.

If you haven't done so already, you might have a look at our Tents Page, which contains a lot of info on tent and shelter selection. Also I did a review on the TLO-6 a while back, and here is the video:

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Something I forgot to mention about the tipi designs; condensation. The sidewalls slope on all sides of course, and any condensation that develops inside the tipi will run down the sidewalls inside the structure. Anything touching the sidewalls will get wet. I found it to be a constant irritation and something you have to constantly remember.

-Mike

Thanks Mike. Appreciate the info. I have a similar tent. I'm really looking for something that allows looking out the tent from all four sides - and something tall enough to pretty much stand up in - understanding that severe weather may have use in the four season dome tent at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon77 View Post

Mainer - I got to admit that back country barn is very appealing for my purposes. The REI review mentions using guide lines with it for high wind conditions. Could you please add your own experience/comments about this tent? In reality, there will only be two of use in this tent, but I intend to err on the safe side and be off the water during bad weather - so the two of us could be spending days in the tent playing cribbage
    Of course you would want to guy it out. I generally run six, all about 2-3 ft up the ends of each tent pole. We got hit with a wind storm during my 2012 hunt, it held up fine.

Here the boy reading a book after he shot his caribou, you can see how I guy it out:

Thanks Mariner. I see it has one door. The specs don't mention additional windows, but from your picture, I see an awning in the back - so am guessing there is a window back there? Good sized window? A couple small port hoes for viewing on the sides and this would be close to what I'm looking for.

I'm wondering why so few reviews on this tent. For what it appears to be, the asking price seems a bit stiff

you'll be fine. I've always viewed REI reviews as borderline worthless. You got two AK guys running this tent: danatherock, and myself. Though I can't speak for Dan, I'm certain he's liking it as a river tent too. Yes, massive windows in both the front and back. Big door up front. I used it as a cook shack. At 15 lbs, I'll be using two next hunt, for 30 lbs of tent. One without the floor, for cooking, and the other with the floor for sleeping.

The round barn shape does well in the wind, but the Yukon aint gonna hurt this tent, it's not like your climbing Denali. The mosquitos will be the worst thing of the trip.

The near vertical sections provide monster space inside.

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon77 View Post
    Thanks Mariner. For what it appears to be, the asking price seems a bit stiff
    yes, the price is absurd. The msr guys are smoking crack, mixed with granola. I can't find a more affordable priced alternative though. My four pole eureka northern breeze, failed epically in the face of wind, and the zippers were terrible.

just go ahead and buy a" BOMB SHELTER" from Bob-- Still have one of the old ones from 20+ years as well as the newer ones. You get what you pay for- They don't break!!
    Goo

I vote for a golite Shangri La 5. Light weight, near standing height, and plenty of room for two plus gear. Not too expensive. Excellent in wind. Tons of great reviews.

I have and use a 12' Outback for summer/fall and other than using a tyvek ground cloth to save the floor, I'm pretty happy with it. The model shown on Stid's post is very much like it but a fair amount cheaper...no way to know how it will hold up. I'm on my 5th season with no real problems but I don't like how the rain comes in when you unzip the door so I usually use a tarp over the entrance to control that if it is bad weather.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Nice video Mike, thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast