Thread: Figure 8/Flathorn

Default Figure 8/Flathorn

Planning on going ice fishing on Saturday for some pike but i have never been at any of these lakes so which do you prefer, and any pointers on how to fish them? Any Information will be greatly appreciated.

Did you do any good? I've ice fished Figure 8 but never tried Flathorn. We always had the best luck driving around looking for holes and blood on the ice and then trying that spot.

Me and a pard went to figure 8 today. Trail pretty much sucked, little to no snow after the turnoff. Do not take a liquid cooled sled right now, my buddy overheated his 800 RMK a couple times and we were constantly stopping to throw what snow we could find on the cooling tubes. Ran into a guy on a wheeler and that would be the best way to run out there if you ask me.

We got a late start and then had to deal with the sled getting hot so didn't have a lot of time on the ice, but we did manage to catch a pretty good stack of 24"-28" fish with what time we had. Caught some on tipups with herring, some on a krocodile, and a few on a swim bait. Beautiful day out there regardless.

So I did go on Saturday but I went to Flathorn, we caught 9 little hammer handles, but the weather was amazing. I had a good time.

Did you use a sled or atv

We went on ATV and air cooled snowmachine.

How thick is the ice out that way?

On Flathorn there was 1 1/2+ feet.

Went out to figure 8 today, did ok caught 6 in the 24-32" range. Snow after the turn off to figure 8 was extremely marginal, my son and and I were both running liquid cool sleds with Ice scratchers and I had to pull over once and throw some snow on my running boards. Figure 8 only had snow on the edges of the lake, 90% of the lake was smooth ice. Good day though and awesome weather, even caught a little sunburn on the face!!

Fished Figure 8 on Monday. Caught a few on herring 20-24 inchers. No snow on lake, ice a little bit rough in places and very slick.

Wheres a good spot out on Figure 8? We were out there on Saturday as well (I was the guy broke down on the side of the trail more than once) When we got to the lake we took a 45 degree turn to the right and set up in a weedy area. Caught an approx. 24" right off the bat but none after that. We had 9 lines soaking whole herring. It was my first pike ever and I am just trying to figure it out...do you guys cut the herring to get a better scent going?

Quote Originally Posted by Burntfrog View Post
    Wheres a good spot out on Figure 8? We were out there on Saturday as well (I was the guy broke down on the side of the trail more than once) When we got to the lake we took a 45 degree turn to the right and set up in a weedy area. Caught an approx. 24" right off the bat but none after that. We had 9 lines soaking whole herring. It was my first pike ever and I am just trying to figure it out...do you guys cut the herring to get a better scent going?
    Fish where most holes and blood are. The two narrow points of the "figure 8" are both good. pike are weird; one spot might be smoking hot, and 20 feet away there will be little or nothing. I usually cut my herring, just because it lasts longer and pike don't seem to care. You're allowed to fish 5 lines; fish 4 tip ups and one jig stick. Some days the one jig will outfish all the tipups, and others it will just keep ya from getting too bored.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Fish where most holes and blood are. The two narrow points of the "figure 8" are both good. pike are weird; one spot might be smoking hot, and 20 feet away there will be little or nothing. I usually cut my herring, just because it lasts longer and pike don't seem to care. You're allowed to fish 5 lines; fish 4 tip ups and one jig stick. Some days the one jig will outfish all the tipups, and others it will just keep ya from getting too bored.
    that's great advice....when I am going to a new lake I check out the bathymetric maps circle a few spots I want to try and 8/10 times there are old holes there which give me a warm fuzzy knowing that someone else thought it could be good also haha
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Assuming you are going with at least 1 other person, you get 10 lines to play with. Spread out a little (staying legal) and move the ones that don't pop after a while. With that many lines you should be able to zero in on fish.

You may find a few old holes out there.... one or two
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Be active, too. walk around to all the flags, jigging the bait fairly frequently. pike often will swim up to a bait, and just sit there staring at it for ages. When it moves, it triggers the strike.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Be active, too. walk around to all the flags, jigging the bait fairly frequently. pike often will swim up to a bait, and just sit there staring at it for ages. When it moves, it triggers the strike.
    Run your auger and drill a couple holes when it gets slow too.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.