Thread: Ranging Sheep with a mil-dot reticle

Default Ranging Sheep with a mil-dot reticle

Im trying to do some what if scenarios if my rangefinder doesn't work in the field( if its been dropped, or heavy snow or rain prevents it from working). One of them being practicing the use of a mil-dot reticle for ranging rams if there was a need to do so.

Who has successfully ranged rams in the field with a mil-dot reticle? And also how many inches did you use for the the target size to input into the formula?

Target size (inches) x 27.8

MRADs Read

As far as ram body size (top of the back to the bottom of the belly) I've heard numbers anywhere from 19in - 23in.

Whats been your experience?

I've done a lot of ranging with mill-dots. The formula: target height/width X 27.8 divided by the mill-dots the target spans, works very well out to 800 yards on bigger targets like sheep. Your biggest problem is reading how many mill-dots your target spans. You CANNOT do it accurately unless your gun is rock solid and you don't touch your gun while looking through your scope. Try it, it's hard. Put your crosshairs on the top of the sheep's back and look at his belly. Keep checking the top and belly of the sheep until you are sure you know the millradian to the closest .2th of a mill. Be SURE to adjust all the parallax out of your scope or it will really screw you up.
    I don't have a lifesize Dall so I can't go measure for you but I'm sure someone has one and they can run to their trophy room and get the measurement for you.

Measuring a life size, now thats a good idea! Im sure there are a small differences in rams but i was hoping to get a round about number. With a whitetail being about "18 belly to back a sheep being 20" or 21" made sense to me.

There's a nice life size Dall mount at the ANC airport, next to the Alaska Airlines baggage claim - you can eyeball it through the glass. I'd guess it looks like 18-20".

I forgot to say that it only works when your power is set to it's highest magnification with second focal plane scopes, (the most common). With a first focal plane scope it doesn't matter what power you use. I hope I got you that info in time. Chuck.

Here's a picture of it:

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow6360 View Post
    I forgot to say that it only works when your power is set to it's highest magnification with second focal plane scopes, (the most common). With a first focal plane scope it doesn't matter what power you use. I hope I got you that info in time. Chuck.
    I'd like to get an FFP but man they are spendy! I figure most of the time I'm ranging I'm going to want it at it's highest setting anyways.