Thread: Alaska Color Case Hardening

Default Alaska Color Case Hardening

HI there, I've recently found myself cleaning up an old rifle much the way Rancid has been showing us. Its an old Stevens Model 1915 Favorite .22 rifle. The metal is in pretty good shape, and I thoght that it sure would look real nice if I could get the receiver case hardened like some of the really fine lever rifles. I've searched the web and found that most places down south want about $200 to do the job, and I don't know how much work it is, but that seems like a lot for a small single shot action. Does anyone know aof a smith here in AK that does color case hardening? Or do any of you forum members do it as a hobby?

+1

I have an old Lefever that I wouldnt mind restoring, but I'm not into shipping it out. If anyone local can do it, I'd be interested.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I had a furnace at one time. Still have the bone charcoal and stuff. It is actually pretty time consuming and fairly difficult to get everything right. Did a couple small parts, and had good results, but there was insufficient demand for that work in Alaska. Since sold the furnace. I would recommend sending it out. 200.00 sounds reasonable for a receiver.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I had a furnace at one time. Still have the bone charcoal and stuff. It is actually pretty time consuming and fairly difficult to get everything right. Did a couple small parts, and had good results, but there was insufficient demand for that work in Alaska. Since sold the furnace. I would recommend sending it out. 200.00 sounds reasonable for a receiver.
    Same here, I have done it and have all the stuff but $200 sounds cheap. It's one of those things you need to do all the time or spend a lot of time dialing the proses back in every time so it works.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yep two hundred is a real fair price for work involved and not warping the action. Stevens pretty much did cyanide bath coloring on their actions.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

well, thanks, maybe its in the cards down the road. The gun is basically just an old meat getting farm gun, bore is orugh and the metal is too, not rusty but dinged up from use. So it would take some time on my part to get it even close to the shape needed for a fine finish like that. this all considering I can get a lot better one off gunbroker for $250, that won't need all the cleanup work