Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: meet team cheechako

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    thanks star, I'll keep that in mind. I'm uncertain, but big red is in heat, would this hormonal change make her instigate fights with other females?
    Yep, that'll make everyone feisty and cranky!
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

The females are more cleanly. Sunday is turd-day. The females are more compartmentalized, and tidy. They go to the ends of their cables, and designate a small section, even down wind, as the place to take a dump.

The males on the other hand, have been known, to take a dump right in front of their dog houses.

just more random thoughts on taking care of a dog team, this is not like changing spark plugs in a ski doo. It smells bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    The females are more cleanly. Sunday is turd-day. The females are more compartmentalized, and tidy. They go to the ends of their cables, and designate a small section, even down wind, as the place to take a dump.
    The cleaner you keep them the cleaner they'll be. That sounds obvious, but dogs that are used to having a lot of crap around won't be as careful about keeping it out of their coats, paws, etc. - they learn to be dirty. I pick up every time I feed plus whenever I'm in the yard. With all due respect, 1x/week sounds nasty!
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

ok, thanks for the scolding. I will up the effort to every day clean-up. Are there any dog carts out there, for time periods when you don't have any snow for the entire winter? I'd like to get a dog cart.

A four wheeler gives you a lot more control. Doesn't even have to be running, as long as the wheels spin and its got brakes, its a lot more comfortable and safe than a lot of the dog carts I've seen and used. For a small dog team, a lightweight 2wd machine like a quadsport would be nice. But I've run from 4 dogs to 20, with my POS 300 king quad...

Back when I had 4 dogs and was just getting into running them, I was cleaning the yard (maybe) once a week. After having quite a few more dogs, you realize that its worth it to stay ahead of it...

dk, I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Those dog carts are too rich for my blood!

Dog carts are fun but like dkwarthog said, you don't have much control with them (like, no snow hook - you'd have to tie it off). You can pick up all-terrain scooters for not that much money and those are fun for leader training. Mostly, though: wheelers. You can sometimes pick up stripped 4-wheeler frames (no engine) for free and if you can find one with working brakes, you're golden.

Where are you located? Can maybe hook you up with someone who's been running dogs for awhile, get to see their operation.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

thanks, I'm currently outside of palmer, but may be relocating soon, as i hate it here.

Where are you planning on going?

not sure yet, I'm bouncing around a couple places. For the time being, I'm probably stuck residing here in this place for another year.

Bummer to have to stay somewhere you don't like.

Lost Piva. He gutted a large porcupine, in the process, he lost both his eyes. Poor fella must have had over 300-400 quills in his entire mouth. I've since got another malamute. This one is a giant malamute, and not as athletic of fleet-footed as the other three. He's gotta weigh over 200 lbs, as I struggle to lift him in the back of my vehicle, and I've never struggled like that. I've been giving him a joint supplement, and hiking him up McHugh Peak three times a week. He is beginning to get into shape.

new giant malamute, haichi. weighed 218 lbs. I've got him down to 209, after hiking mountains for about a month now. He is much less wild than the male I lost, more obedient. He did have a bad rap for dog aggression, and it did surface a time or two. when they get this big, it's a little terrifying trying to tame dog aggression, but I once again, have peace in the pack. I can't wait to build a small freight sled, and do a winter hunt! All four dogs are rock solid from countless hikes up McHugh Peak.

Attached Images Attached Images

I had a huge female husky 220# last weight and would fight anything. Regretfully she outgrew her organs ability to keep up and I lost her a seven years.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

DAaaaaannng those are big dogs!

G'day Mainer, they are a strong looking team and wondering if you have sorted out the lead dog yet?
    New to this whole dog mushing thing and curious if you do any separate training to find/train a lead dog, or do you just watch how they best work together by swopping positions as they work as a team?

We will only be mushing two individual dogs, possibly they may run teamed together at some stage, but it is all hanging as an idea at present. My daughter has a Husky (Arie) whom is only around 7 months now, and we (partner & myself) have a Border Collie/Kelpie/Blue healer cross (Billy, whom is all the Australian working stock breeds). Hoping to build a scooter for my daughter and will look at a trike for myself.

When we used to hunt with the dogs and needed to break up a fight, we carried small water pistols. Couple of squirts in the eye was normally enough to break the attention. Learned the hard way, not to jump in with a hand or boot. CHOMP!!!!!!!!

Regards
    Grumpyoldman
    aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12