Thread: Primer Shelve Life

Default Primer Shelve Life

Posted the below question to the wrong forum so here it is again............

"I am getting back into reloading and have some CCI primers that are 20 years + old.
    Been stored in cool dry spot. Any one know how long primers last sitting on the shelve?
    Thanks"

Longer than you will. Modern priming material lasts a long time . I'm not sure if it's been around long enough for anyone to know how long it will really last.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Longer than you will. Modern priming material lasts a long time . I'm not sure if it's been around long enough for anyone to know how long it will really last.
    Probably bout as long as Wheat. I heard they found some wheat in the Pyramids, and it was still good.

The problem is not getting them to go bang, but in disabling them. Oil etc. will work temporarily, but they can dry out, and still work. (I made some tests a few years ago, after I heard this.)

If I had a bunch of them to destroy, I'd put them into a campfire, a few at a time. I threw a bunch of them into the ashes of my campfire here at home, and I got pops every time I had fire for 2 days.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty
    Sometimes you just have too much fun.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Smitty
    Sometimes you just have too much fun.
    Well, the fire is easier than setting them off with a hammer and nail, and not as scary.

Just throwing them in the swamps is no fun at all.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Right now my primer supply consists of, Remington #51/2's, in a white box with red and green triangle logos, CCI #200's, in boxes with black, white and green diamonds,(these boxes don't even have zip codes in the address), and Federal #100's, in the red box with black and gold slashes across the box. All are really old, all still work really well. I've done some unsciencetific testing, and the Remingtons appear to be hotter than new fresh CCIs.
    I've used a lot of older powder too. I've noticed some old Blue Dot that seems to have a lot more poop than fresh,new powder. I always start with a mild load and work up. If there is any doubt, or question, I fertilize the garden, or make a big poof in the campfire. Smitty, using it in the garden is about as exciting as throwing primers in the swamp! I enjoy the campfire method better.
    Bob