Thread: Salcha River

Default Salcha River

First time on this site and was needing some info. I will be up on the Salcha in Sept. and was wondering what kind of fish are in it. What kind of spinning baits, how to cook them,ect. Any info will help.

Default grayling etc.

grayling and pike, maybe some burbot. There will also be some late run chum salmon, but they are not very good table fair at this point in their run.

What is a burbot?

Default fresh water cod

a freshwater cod very ugly and very very tasty. you catch them on bottom with bait usually at night.

Bob,

Good grayling fishing on the Salcha. A #1 mepps lure works real well; so do the 0's and 2's. You can gut the grayling and then wrap in tin foil and roast on the grill, turning it every so often. We like to put spices, onions, a slice of bacon if you have it, or some butter, inside the empty gut cavity before wrapping in foil. You can also easily fillet the grayling and pan-fry them. Pike can be found in the sloughs or where beaver ponds connect to the river. Not so much on the upper section. Burbot are closer to the mouth as well and isn't likely you'd catch any unless you put out trot line or something overnight. Good luck,

Default Nice to see you on Line

Bob,

Grayling, Grayling and more Grayling. Mark's info is spot on! Enjoy the trip! I would not put to much effort into the Burbot Fishing up there however Grayling, Grayling and More Grayling.

:-) Just a couple fo spinners and let the fun begin!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Bob,

Good grayling fishing on the Salcha. A #1 mepps lure works real well; so do the 0's and 2's. You can gut the grayling and then wrap in tin foil and roast on the grill, turning it every so often. We like to put spices, onions, a slice of bacon if you have it, or some butter, inside the empty gut cavity before wrapping in foil. You can also easily fillet the grayling and pan-fry them. Pike can be found in the sloughs or where beaver ponds connect to the river. Not so much on the upper section. Burbot are closer to the mouth as well and isn't likely you'd catch any unless you put out trot line or something overnight. Good luck,
    I always though the way grayling were cooked is you cleaned them scaled them and put em on a stick and cooked it over an open fire, when the fish falls off the stick you say darn that one was done just right then brush off the ashes and dirt and eat it. ...............god I ate some nasty things growing up wonder why I cant stand to eat grayling?