Thread: 2014 june 12 to 25

Default 2014 june 12 to 25

coming up from Wisconsin to do some fishing. i was thinking about going without a guide. Can this be done. Where is the best locations to find out what type of rod/reel/waders to use. should I think about putting them on plane for trip or purchase up ther and sell when do. I will be in Fairbanks, Talkeenta, Kenia, Seward, Homer and Anchorage. I would be driving so can go any place.

Any information will help.

I would hire a charter in the coastal cities and fish the road system on the way down/up.

I have been here only 6 years now and I fish most weekends when the water is not frozen and some when it is. My personal DIY trips from the road system are really not very productive. Sure, we have caught some fish - but not like you can get into with a charter. Without a boat - good luck.

I would not even faintly consider trying to save money by DIY fishing up here if I lived in the lower 48. The fishing is simply not that great - you will work your butt off to catch fish.

Matter of fact, I tell my buddies to get a charter when they come up. If they really want to have the best opportunity to catch good fish - take a charter -either boat or plane. Don't skimp on the very thing that you came here for.......catching fish.

Also - you need to do some serious homework to be successful on the road system. This site is a good start - one of the best. So is the Alaska outdoor journal web site.

READ THE REGS - during your time frame, fishing in the Valley MAY be restricted. Usually (between Talkeetna & Willow roughly) fishing is restricted to Saturday, Sunday & Monday (on streams that cross the Parks Hwy). Check the regs.
    I'd head directly to the Kenai/Russian Rivers for first run reds & trout. I'd defintely go guided for one or two days (to get schooled on how to do it). Those rivers open on june 11 & good fishing (for salmon) will end before the end of your vacation.

The Russian should be fishing pretty good then. Might have to work a little but should be able to get a few at least. You can buy anything you need up here. The hardware store in soldotna has everything for cheap! A 8- 10 wt fly rod is perfect for the Russian. For the main stem kenai I like a 8"6-9" baitcaster with 25lb mono for reds. Reds trout and char are probably the only thing that will be around that time of the season. Your timing is off about 2 weeks for the big kenai run. Since you are short on time I'd get a charter if you can afford it. Seward or homer for halibut. Lots more rockfish and silvers in Seward than homer, and much more scenic IMO. There is a great book by Gunnar pedderson? About fishing the road systems. Buy it it is a great investment. Don't waste your time on a king charter money would be better spent on a saltwater charter.

yes, unguided fishing can be done, but its hard if you don't know what you are doing. Alaska fishing is really pretty simple, but totally different from what you do in wisconsin and takes practice to get the techniques right.

I have been going to Alaska every few years from Minnesota with my wive and adult kids. We have had some great fun and luck with DIY fishing,mostly in the Kenia peninsula. Small streams and lakes, the Kenia and Kasilof rivers, even the fishing pond at Homer. Mixing in a charter for halibut and silvers is a nice addition, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus1 View Post
    I have been going to Alaska every few years from Minnesota with my wive and adult kids. We have had some great fun and luck with DIY fishing,mostly in the Kenia peninsula. Small streams and lakes, the Kenia and Kasilof rivers, even the fishing pond at Homer. Mixing in a charter for halibut and silvers is a nice addition, though.
    ditto...I can't agree with the first poster, except that to maximize your fishing a floatplane trip or a saltwater charter are great fun and usually very productive. That being said, like Rufus, I've been making trips to AK for many years, and although things have gotten tougher no doubt, the DIY fishing still holds great potential We usually do a couple charters mixed with a few days of DIY fishing and have always come home with full fish boxes.
    King fishing in particular has been way down the last couple years, so I wouldn't plan on hitting them much. And your June timeframe is early in the season for the best DIY there is ...2nd run reds on the Kenai. Any chance of moving it back a month?
    I would scrap heading up to Fairbanks, or even Talkeetna in June. The Kenai peninsula offers more opportunites in June, especially with kings being basically shut down. The 1st run Russian reds will be going good, and you should plan on hitting that pretty hard. Add in a couple charters, say, a butt charter out of Homer or Seward and a flyout somewhere, and you should be able to do fine.
    As for tackle, if you have some of the stuff live4chrome mentions, maybe from fishing lake Michigan? By all means bring it...I always bring my own gear, really not that tough. A good pair of chest waders is needed for sure.
    BTW...we'll be up there this June 6-17...and fully expect to come home with some full fish boxes!

So you can't agree with me, but you take a couple charters to fill your fish boxes????

If you were here in from June 12 to June 25 and don't have a boat, and don't take a charter - how full would your fish boxes be - even with your years of experience?

Now imagine someone who has never flipped for reds - how full would his fish box be?

He'd be savin all kinds of money on fish processing and baggage fees - that is how full.

randy

If you can swing it, the First Run of Klutina Reds can be very productive also. Our group fishes the roadsystem extensively every summer (well 2 out of 3 of us) and we have a pretty standard schedule of where and when we fish for the different species to be found. We are always looking or calling for fresh reports from the various locations. Every year is alittle different, whether it'd be closures or water levels, late spring, etc. Oh and dito on the Gunnar book, it has been priceless. You can find some of our adventures of roadside locations on our website.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    So you can't agree with me, but you take a couple charters to fill your fish boxes????

If you were here in from June 12 to June 25 and don't have a boat, and don't take a charter - how full would your fish boxes be - even with your years of experience?

Now imagine someone who has never flipped for reds - how full would his fish box be?

He'd be savin all kinds of money on fish processing and baggage fees - that is how full.

randy
    Our boxes would be as full as we wanted...just no halibut or rockfish. Even my first trip years ago (as someone who had never fished for reds) it just took a couple days to get dialed in on the them...it's tricky for sure, but it's not rocket science!
    We pay plenty in baggage fees

Where are you starting from? If Anchorage, I would start by heading south to the Russian River. The Russian opens on the 11th, and often the first few days of fishing can be gangbusters. Others have covered the gear - I prefer an 8 weight fly rod, but bait casters or spinning rods spooled with 25lb test will do you fine. The technique is rather unique to the Kenai/Russian, but if you spend the first hour watching instead of fishing, you'll get it. Seriously - find a group of fishermen and just watch. You'll notice that 20% of the fishermen catch 80% of the fish. Location matters for sure, but technique is everything with reds. Figure that out, stay for a few days, freeze your daily limit at the Kenai Cache to stay within the possession limit laws, and enjoy!

While down there, I'd certainly look into a combo charter for either feeder kings/halibut out of Homer or halibut/rockfish out of Seward. You're too early for decent silver fishing, so I'd forget about that.

On your drive north, set aside 3 days and take a leisurely drive across the Denali Highway. The scenery is worth the drive, but grayling is the main draw here. They're small and they don't freeze well, so only save a couple each day for dinner, but they're beautiful little fish and a unique taste of the north. If you hike 50+ yards off the road you'll almost certainly be alone, and any little trickle of water should hold fish. They're really my favorite fish, as grayling mean solitude and beautiful places. It would be a shame to miss them while in Alaska.

On the other end of the Denali Highway, skip Fairbanks and head south to the Gulkana and Klutina. You may get into some reds and/or kings there, depending on run timing. If you are after kings, hire a guide. If reds, the same basic idea applies here as with the Russian.