Thread: Increasing FOC????

Default Increasing FOC????

So I went thru and figured my FOC last night and also total arrow weight

Arrows are from 424-433 grns w/o tips
    With 200gr tips I'm at 16% FOC (630grns total)
    With 300gr I'm at 22% FOC. (730gns total)

I'm wondering if I can increase the FOC without increasing total arrow weight?

Tapering the last 6"-8" of the nock is about it. That won't change spine but will remove a minimal amount of weight. Taper beyond 8"-12" or more and you'll start lowering spine. Another possibility would be to use the Woody Weights. They add about 1/2" of length forward and you can meet your weight goal with whatever flavor of head you choose. Your current setup is plenty FOC if you have them tuned to your bow. Don't get too wrapped up with FOC numbers. As long as the arrow is fly straight you're good. Fred Bear killed everything walking with 125 -145 grains up front. If the arrows are acting stiff then try lightning your string silencers, go to a 14 strand string instead of a 15 or 16.

Thanks man, I'm gonna order some tuffheads in 300 and see how they fly. So far flying great with field points, just gotta get use to the "lob" compared to what I was shooting.

You need light carbon shafts of 8-9 gpi and stiffer than normal spine, then add 100gr brass insert, next add 100gr adapter and 200gr point. So 400 gr. on the front and shaft will give around 650 -675 total grains. Then bareshaft for perfect tune. Now add 3 or 4 smaller 3 inch fletches. This will give you about 30% and really great performance IF properly tuned. A 10 -12 gpi carbon shaft and 400 grains up front will get you approx. 26-28 %foc and approx. 725-750gr total arrow weight.You are not able to reasonably get much over 20% with heavy carbon(>12gpi) bare shafts or wood shafts because the overall weight gets too high. You need high front end weight, light bare shaft, and light nock end weight for much over 20-22% foc.
    Give it a try and use it if you like and don't use it if you prefer more conventional set ups. I know this is not for everyone so no need for ballistic wars.
    Hope this helps.