Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more deshka questions

Default more deshka questions

things i have been wondering about for years..

do the kings going up the deshka stop and rest once they get to the fresh water of the deshka like out in front of mike & merts???
    if so about how long do they rest there??

how long does it take for the kings to reach the weir, once they decide to move on up from the mouth??
    do they stop and rest anymore between the mouth and the weir??

how long do the kings that hold up on the deshka to clean out there gills, but are heading on up the big su. stick around before heading back up the big su.??

Default questions with no good answers

Been fishing there for 30 years and wonder the same things. Can tell you some fish don't seem to slow down, you can watch the bite start below you, get to you, go past and then gone until the next bunch shows up. I have caught em with sea lice and caught em too red for my taste clear into July. The wier slows em down and they stack up below it but it does not take em long to get those few miles, but then there are those that spawn below the wier. The 24 hour openings do seem to have some affect. Used to be they would hang around at the mouth with nobody harrassing em. 6:00 am would come and there would be a really big flurry of activity sometimes for a few minutes and sometimes hours but they eventually get on up the river. Don't seem to school up so much with 24hr fishing.

wow 30 years wish i could say that!!! thanks for the reply mr funley..
    i to kinda miss the 6:00 am to 11: pm days 2003 was the last year that i had
    25 fish days there..

i was kinda hopeing the keeneye doc would chime in on this one.
    i dont think i have seen any post from him on the deshka, but he sure seems to know a bunch about the runs, and kings in general..

or 357ultramag he seems to have a pretty good grip on what gos on at the deshka.,

or akmud.. he seems to spend a bunch of time there..

even if you fella's dont have hard facts,, i do have a great deal of respect,
    of your opininons..

I'd email or call Dave Rutz. He's that areas fisheries biologist and could probably answer most of your questions. He's a pretty good guy and would tell you what you want to know.

thanks francko
    thats exactly what i will do..
    got an idea how to find his email or phone#???

never mind just got the contact info from f&g web site thanks again

No problem, I met him on Alexander Lake this winter and he's one cool dude. Full of information....

I've also fished out there for a long time, about 25 years. I can remeber the days of anchoring out in the mouth and soaking spin-n-glows and eggs and everyone in the boat limiting out within an hour or so. We also used to be able to anchor up between the mouth and Mike & Mert's and there was enough current to keep a wiggle wort working behind the boat. The current and river has changed, however I was able to anchor and use the wiggle wort one weekend last year and the fishing was exceptional. It all depends on the water level. Yesterday the water level was low and the fishing was very slow. I plan to give it a try tommorow. I just can't get into anchoring on the hog-line (Mike & Mert's hole) and casting into the same hole with 150 other people so I do most of my fishing up the river further.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Default Low water

You are not alone. This is the first time that I can remember that there was no current in the mouth of the Deshka mid May. Most years it is a struggle getting the anchor to hold and this year I didn't even get to kick back and watch the wiggle wart work. I was told that the snowpack in the upper drainage was below normal. Went upriver to check it out one day and there was Volkswagen rock sitting on the bank. At least I didn't have to worry bout running over it.

This kind of surprises me, I thought this was a good snow year. The water temp seemed to nice and cold, last year it was like a bath tub. Hopefully, the kings will show up in fishable numbers during the next few weeks. I saw one fish caught yesterday. It was a typical Deshka king, bright chrome and in the 20 pound range. The really nice thing was that there was less boats on the river than usual for this time of year. Sitting in the Deshka and not catching fish beats spending time at work!!!!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

We put two in the boat there yesterday using wiggle warts.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.funley View Post
    You are not alone. This is the first time that I can remember that there was no current in the mouth of the Deshka mid May. Most years it is a struggle getting the anchor to hold and this year I didn't even get to kick back and watch the wiggle wart work. I was told that the snowpack in the upper drainage was below normal. Went upriver to check it out one day and there was Volkswagen rock sitting on the bank. At least I didn't have to worry bout running over it.
    Last year we caught a few early kings on wiggle warts neer the mouth as there was a good current. I did notice this year that there seems to be a lot more Big-Su water coming across between the island and the sand bar. That might need to be checked out with a K15 or wort?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Smile

i talked to Dave Rutz today,(A BIO. FOR AK. F&G) Franco was right he is a real nice guy,
    i could of talked to him for hours..
    Basically he said it all depends on water levels/temps & fishing pressure, as to how long they hang out at the mouth, and how long it takes to get to the weir..
    my original intent on this thread, was to find out what day the fish that are currently moving through the weir,, were at the mouth.. same day? one day ago? two???? he pretty much said all of the above..

mr Funnley pretty much summed it up in his first post, about the same things Dave had to say.. and Doug also..

he wouldn't make a prediction on when the run will start. he thought it was a little early yet..
    but he did think the fish were in the big su. and could show most any time,
    saying if the deshka would come up some, the fish would to..
    but if the water temp is to warm, he said it don't matter how many fish are out there, you ain't gonna get a hit...
    but i guess that is common knowledge, for a bunch of you, and if i think about it i have read it here on many post's..

i asked him about the mortality rate on c&r,, he figured about 3% for artificial
    & way higher for bait..

now i have two more questions..
    any tips on releasing fish, and keeping the mortality rate low as possible???

and just how low is the water???
    the lowest i have seen it is about 12"/15" away from the bottom step, going up to the campgrounds , on the point..
    heck that was the best year i expect i will ever have..

my buddy and i got there June 6th at about 7 pm 2003..
    we met some other friends there.
    we went out and traded places with a couple guys out in front of mike and merts.
    they had two fish between four guys, and seen maybe 5/6 others caught all day.
    with in 5 min. i had one on, played him about 5 more min. and he snapped off,, right away my buddy caught one,, then , bam bam bam...
    him and i c&r five fish each plus a couple break offs.. before 11pm.
    some other boats were doing the same, and some weren't..
    well them other two guys in the boat ,, never got a bite that nite...
    for some reason them two fellas, wasn't so happy about a couple Idaho boys
    coming up and learning em a lesson, on catching kings..

woke up next morning,, was on the water at 6am and boom every boat out there was landing fish..
    and that went on for 5 days straight.. we had some 25 fish c&r days each and nothing under 16 per day,, and lots of 30#/40# fish, and a few tempting the 50# mark..
    this year is the offspring of that run..

so if you fellas want some of the best fishing of your life,, be there around 7pm June 7th /thats next Thursday,, cuz thats about when we will get there,,
    and all them fish are just sitting out there waiting for us to show up..

and I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that it will stay hot fishing at least till the afternoon of the13th..
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL..

Default head start for Slimm

Good luck to you.I don't get back home until the 8th so you will have a head start, have to at least stop by the house hug the wife and grab the dog. [ok I'd love to bring her too but somebodies got to work] and then it is off to the river for a couple of weeks. My favorite time of the year.

According to ADF&G's historical sonar data for the Deshka the King run peaks between June 14th and 18th. I suspect that if June remains as dreary(read cold) as May was AND there's no significant rain then the peak of the run won't graph the traditional spike on the 16th and 17th as in years past. I think it will be more of a plateau. Instead of 2 or 3 days of 7 to 9,000 fish we will have about a week of 2-3,000 fish days. meaning good fishing well after the traditional peak. Again my totally unscientific guess-timization (and hope as I'm slopin' until the 18th).

Oh and as a gee-whiz tip for any Deshka newbies--If its sunny, fish early or late or in the shade. Direct sun seems to put Kings off the bite

To keep mortality rates as low as you can I'd suggest barbless hooks....I know that makes it more of a challenge to get the fish in but does less damage when releasing. It is also helpful to play them quickly so they are not completly exahusted when you bring them to the boat and of course never take them out of the water-it ain't legal and ain't nice for the fish.

I am a master of the "long distance release" and often play a fish for no more than ten seconds before I let it go.

Question Troopers

So what was going on at the Deshka last Sunday?

I saw a FWP officer haul two big bags of kings out of his boat. Someone said that he had heard is was slow fishing at the Deshka and the trooper responded, they are catching a lot of fish!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

thanks mr .funley for the offer of good luck..
    ((have to at least stop by the house hug the wife and grab the dog. [ok I'd love to bring her too but somebodies got to work] and then it is off to the river for a couple of weeks.)) YOU ARE A REAL HOMBRE...

Erik-- i still cant shake the feeling that it takes a day or two for the fish to make it through the weir, once they leave the mouth..
    so im a thinking that the peak at the mouth is a day or two ahead of the peak at the weir.. but the only thing i know for sure is -I dont know...

gusdog-- well i think i will go barbless, might even go single barbless..
    doesnt moving em back and forth slowly in the water, and stroking there bellies help out also????

well i hope to meet some of you up there,, i will be in a 16ft zodiac, with a suzuki motor,,
    Tyler

akbassking
    I was on the deska on Sunday and didnt see much of anything going on got one small king about 24 inches and saw one other one hooked. We left at 1pm because it was so slow.

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    thanks mr .funley for the offer of good luck..
    ((have to at least stop by the house hug the wife and grab the dog. [ok I'd love to bring her too but somebodies got to work] and then it is off to the river for a couple of weeks.)) YOU ARE A REAL HOMBRE...

Erik-- i still cant shake the feeling that it takes a day or two for the fish to make it through the weir, once they leave the mouth..
    so im a thinking that the peak at the mouth is a day or two ahead of the peak at the weir.. but the only thing i know for sure is -I dont know...

gusdog-- well i think i will go barbless, might even go single barbless..
    doesnt moving em back and forth slowly in the water, and stroking there bellies help out also????

well i hope to meet some of you up there,, i will be in a 16ft zodiac, with a suzuki motor,,
    Tyler
    I'll be out there on Friday and Saturday. I run an 18' Alumaweld Sled (red stripe) with a 115 Merc (80 hp jet) and have a Honda 8 hp kicker. My co-pilot is an Australian Cattle Dog (red heeler) pup. If you see us, stop and say, "Hi".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up looking foward to it..

yea i bet we meetup, looking forward to it..
    good looking heeler, im a german short hair kinda guy.
    but my mom has a bunch of cattle and she has always had heelers.
    them dang dogs are SMART!!! i think they can read minds...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast