Thread: Extra tent for kodiak

Default Extra tent for kodiak

I am going on a goat hunt to kodiak this fall in October. Do most of you guys with kodiak experience bring two tents every time. I was thinking about setting two of them up for gear and such. I will be bringing a sawtooth with stove and also the nammaj3 gt from hilleburg. Never been to kodiak before but have heard all the bad stories and just want to be prepared. We will also have two hilleburg aktos for spiking out as there are two of us on this trip. Any advice to a novice kodiak hunter would be great. Do you guys bring a mr heater along with the wood stove? Nothing like being comfortable when the weather hits. Thanks tekla

I have only hunted Kodiak once and it was in the spring for a bear hunt. We only brought one 10x10 Bombshelter tent. We brought one man tents for spiking out if needed but never used them. We set up a couple tarps for cooking and eating under. If you have room I would bring both big tents, if the wind was any worse our tarps wouldn't have cut it.
    The MR Buddy heater was great after packing our bear out at 2 am through a creek. We brought one 5 gallon propane bottle and had plenty of gas left after a week of running in each morning and night for a half hour or so. A wood burning stove wouldn't have been much use where we were at since there was not much wood and what was there was soggy and wet.

If in doubt bring it, we had a 1200 lb weight limit and our final fly weight was 1190, just leave enough room for your meat ad hides for the trip home. Good luck and be safe, I plan on heading there in October as well for a goat/deer hunt.

Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Depends on when you're going. Last fyout goat hunt I did was teh first week of Sept. Took an 8 man Cabela's Guide tent for 2 of us plus my dog. Put everything in the tent and slept on the floor. Had plenty of room but I've since gone to using cots, allows much better use of space and better sleep. I had spike tents with me, but didn't use them. Nor did I have a heater. I did learn that putting the tent in teh right location is key. We didn;t, wind came up, laid it down, snapped a fiber pole and cut the rainfly. Learned my lesson there, moved tent real quick, never had another issue.

I have also only been to Kodiak one time. We had a 1200 pound limit and were over by 30 pounds on the way out and were charged extra for it. We would have been under I think if everything wasn't soaking wet. You would think that the 100 mph winds would dry stuff out, but it did not.....

I don't know about the winds on Kodiak, but a few years ago some guys on Adak came back to their camp after a day of hunting to find they had no camp -completely blown away. It would have been nice if they had an emergency tent that hadn't been set up. Fortunately they survived. I'm sure that's not the first time that sort of thing has happened in the Aleutians.

Spent enough time in the Aleutians that I'm always going to assume 80 mph shredders coming through.

I think an extra tent would be a very good idea in the Aleutians or the Gulf.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Yes, always bring two. Leave one set up as a base camp close to where you are dropped. Take the other with you for spike camp. If you are an animal like Jake then you can always hike down every day. Otherwise you won't want to traverse all the alders every day, in addition to the extra energy spent climbing up & down. Then when you shoot one at dark , or the weather comes in & you loose visability you wont have as far to go. If you do manage to have a base camp close enough to go up & down every day, (I only know of one lake in 480 with this & it was hit pretty hard last fall) it is good to have as an emergency backup. From extreme winds, to flooding or the possibility of a bear thrashing some of your gear you will sleep better knowing you have a back up shelter with you.

I always bring a base camp tent and a spike tent/shelter. Typically set up a base camp with a bear fence, then head up for goats. We often don't come back down to base camp for several days or even up to a week or so. The last couple years we've used big tipi's with wood burning stoves for our base camp, and the little time we do spend down at base is some very comfortable digs.

Ya bring two. But leave one as your base camp by don't set it up. Set up tents are targets for wind and who knows what else on Kodiak. I'd leave it packed up. Spike camp is pretty self explanatory.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212