Thread: Propane for bear attractant????

Default Propane for bear attractant????

Anyone have luck with this? I like outside the box thinking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never tried it, but it would be easier (packing in) to find some ethyl mercaptan (the scent that's added to natural gas). Probably cheaper too, in that the scent would last long time.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

I use it when I'm doing my honey burns and they work. LOL Not the first time I've heard this though...

I was and outfitter in Wyoming in the 70's. We were able to use killer horses for bate and then they stopped that because of the problem of the grizzlie conflict. Do not ask me why but we got by with using propane as as an attractant. What I done was use the camper size bottles, chained them in a tree upside down and then cracked the valve open just a little. This would last for a couple of days or more and worked fare. Not as good as the killer horses. Not sure if the new valve in the camper tanks now days would allow you to turn them upsaide down and get propane out or not.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

What's killer horses and does it smell like propane cause I just ordered knock out from James valley scents and holy crap does that stuff STINK!!
    I don't want to use it if that smell also attracts them big scary brown ones

I believe a killer horse is a horse that you walk into where you want to the bait, and then kill said horse to use as bait.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Killer horses are ones that are normally bought at sale rings, this are horses that are old, not usable anymore. They are bought by buyers for slatter in the Europian market where they eat horse meet. You use to be able to buy this horses for $50 to $100, depending on the killer price. You are right you then walk the horse to the bait site and then put them down. When buying the horse for bait you had to be careful, because if the horse had been given medican they were not good for bear bait as the bear would smell the medican and not come into the bait.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Well I'll be ****ed!!!