Thread: Pack Horse Help/DM446

Default Pack Horse Help/DM446

I drew DM446 and I am looking at hiring someone to pack me in and hopefully a moose out. Just curious if anyone has past experience or advice on a reputable company?

Where is DM446?

Its in 14C, the Ship Creek drainage

Related question. Would the packer be required to have a Transporters Lic.

Yes they would

Try getting ahold of horse trekking alaska! We used them when my wife had that tag in 2010. I heard that Steve who was the owner then may have sold the company, but from my understanding they still provide pack services in the Chugachs.

Good info thank you, how did you guys end up doing on that hunt?

We had a blast and she ended up shooting a nice bull near the end of the hunt. PM/email me and I will be glad to share more specifics. One thing I will tell you is that just about everyone who NEVER had this tag thinks its a slam dunk and you should have a 60" plus bull down in the first couple of days, but believe me it is a hard place to hunt. That year only four out of the 16 hunters shot bulls (the sucess rate is usually around 30% overall), and I know at leat two of them were under 50". I am not trying to discourage you as there are nice bulls in there, but for us everyone that heard we had that tag acted like it was a sure thing. I would plan on around ten days of hunting and do some serious scouting if you are serious about putting some meat in tthe freezer..

http://alaskahorseadventures.com/

Horse trekking is no longer. A google search will point you to the above link.

martinbow - did you see much for Griz on your hunt?

Yes, we saw lots of griz in there. Some had really cool really dark brown (looked like black bears from a distance) coats on them.