Thread: taxidermist

Question taxidermist

Does anyone know of a good bear rug taxidermist that doesn’t cost and arm and leg around Anchorage or Eagle River?

Well, I don't think he is the cheapest around, but being as you get what you pay for....Yukon Grubaugh over at Tall Tales Taxidermy is the best I've met, and he's just a great guy to deal with.

I use Clint up at Tundra Taxidermy in Big Lake (right outside Wasilla). He did my bear rug,skull mount,and my Haul Road caribou.All turned out awesome, is VERY affordable and I had everything back a few months.

I have to second tjkanavel--Clint at Tundra Tanning and Taxidermy also did my 9.5" Griz rug, skull mount and caribou. Great job and affordable. Highly recommend! Just read up on the other thread about your hunt and I would recommend getting this done to your skull. Its the only way to go and it keeps it protected because the jaws dont move plus its a great way to present it. I know before I got mine done whenever it was picked up and looked it it seemed that the jaw and teeth were rubbing together a lot and some of them loosened up. Now no one even picks the skull up!

Last edited by hunt_ak; 06-01-2007 at 08:12.

Dave McCllannahan at Lone Wolf taxidermy in Eagle River does very good work and does not cost an arm and a leg, maybe just the arm. 696-3611, give him a call.

Bernie

For a bear like that, don't look for affordable or the cheapest taxidermists, Look for who specializes in doing bear rugs and who does the best quality work. With exceptional trophies like that you want the best! My guy specializes in Bear rugs and small game habitat scenes, However he is in Fairbanks, and has some of his work in Sportsmans(Fairbanks) but also, he takes a long time to complete work (due to his intricate workmanship) he is a pretty good artists and he will make those bear lips and nose look exactly the way when you seen it alive! I'm sure there are some in your area down south, but take your time and look at there work, take a flashlight and look into the nostrils, ears etc. The bottom line to taxidermy...I wouldn't say its affordable or cheap, unless you do it yourself...I have seen taxidermy go up in the past years, mostly due to the shipping costs and supplies and materials going up as with everything else...my take is...everytime you pull the trigger or release on your bow on a TROPHY animal...it's Cha-ching, Cha-ching $$$$$$$......K

Default Taxidermist

Dan Foster @ Foster Taxidermy on Hyer Road in Wasilla does excellent bear work. I have had him do some black bears, 3 rugs and a 3/4 mount that look great

I have had my caribou done and fish done by Jeremy Allegrucci w/ Big Shot Taxidermy here in Anchorage (907) 350-0747.

I have seen bear rugs, full mount coyote, full mount Lynx, and Moose done in shoulder mount and european mounts. He also is very good at fish and birds. His turn around time on Bear rugs is pretty good, I would give him a call. Very good to work with and very competitive prices.

Hunter-Fisher in Anchorage has done sheep mount, caribou antlers, deer antlers for me and I have been quite happy with their work.

Default New Taxidermist

Got a new licensed Taxidermist who is up here in Fairbanks, a little bit out of your way Im sure but more than worth it. The name of the place is WOW Inc.( World of Wildlife ) both federally and state incorporated and his name is Phillip. He can be contacted at wowtaxidermy@yahoo.com. I have seen this gentlemens work and it is top notch without a doubt better then most I have seen and his turn around is unbelievable. Drop him a line and see what he can do for you. Thanks and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie1 View Post
    Does anyone know of a good bear rug taxidermist that doesn’t cost and arm and leg around Anchorage or Eagle River?
    Last frontier in Anchorage. Give Kim a call
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Bear Rug

Try bob Martis @ ACTION ANATOMY TAXIDERMY. I have personally seen 6 of his rugs and have been very impressed and his pricing is fair. I agree with kahahawai and check out the persons work before you decide who you will use.

Drew

Its been my expieriance that if you turn the hide in to be tanned yourself (either at alpha fur here in anchorage or clint), and then turn it in to a taxidermist, you usually save money and you will get it back faster. atleast it works for me and my friends.

Default Big Bull

Give Glenn a call at 337-5662.
    Does great work.
    Makes ALL bears look good, and trophy bears look great!
    Goodl luck, and congratulations on your rug!

Default Tundra Taxi..

I'm sure you have already found a taxi but I have to give props to Clint at Tundra Tannining. Between a couple friends and myself we have taken 2 Brownies, 2 blacks, 4 bou, 2 sheep and a Linx. He does some of the best work I've seen and he does his own tanning so your bear will never leave his shop unlike most. I know one of the taxi's mentioned lost a buddies nice black a few years back when he sent it out for tanning. Not to say this happens often but you have a bear most dream of taking. Imagine how you would feel if your taxi called and said, I lost your bear but I will give you a wolf and beaver pelt to make up for it. Just doesnt have the same ring to me as a 9'+ brownie.