Thread: Has there been any impact on charter bookings?

Default Has there been any impact on charter bookings?

I am wondering what if any impact the new halibut limit of one fish any size and one fish 29'' or under has impacted the charter fleets bookings.

Good question. I had to look up the new regs for 2014. How many charters are going to participate in the GAF as well? Here's the link I was looking at http://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/sust...tsheet2014.pdf
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

For years myself and a big group of guys have fished out of Valdez. We book somewhere between 6 and 11 days of fishing on the charter boat each year. We are planning on fishing this year but only because we had the trip booked last July (we always book a year in advance) so our deposits were already paid when the rules came out. It makes me sad to see our fun trip fall by the wayside but every single person in our group has voted to make this our last year. It just isn't worth the expense for one fish and one minnow. I imagine the charter captain will be able to find other buyers for the days we used to buy but if there are many more of his long term clients backing out like we are then I suspect he may have a problem keeping the business open and viable.

It will impact the bookings somewhat, but for the most part with the decline in large fish even at wessel reef, the reality has been that if you want a full box of fish your going to end up with some small ones anyway. The days of releasing 50 pounders are long gone.