Thread: Barren Islands

Default Barren Islands

This summer we are going on a charter out to the Barren Islands weather permitting of course looking for Lings and Halibut and am wondering if there are and good black rockfish spots out there. They are my favorite fish to eat. Thanks for your help!

Been to barrens a handful of times and never caught a black rockfish out there, but we never targeted them. Your captain should be able to answer this question, give him a call

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    This summer we are going on a charter out to the Barren Islands weather permitting of course looking for Lings and Halibut and am wondering if there are and good black rockfish spots out there. They are my favorite fish to eat. Thanks for your help!
    Good luck on your trip. I have never caught rockfish out there but in my opinion the barrens are the single best location to target if you plan to halibut fish out of homer.

Over abundance of rockfish in the barrens.

Charterboat Operator

One of my fav spots to fish!!! if weather is good and lets me get you there! it can be amazing !! my cover photo of my business page came from there! 4 over 100 4 over 150 and 1 over 200lbs and they were still biting when i left!! as far as rock fish!! if were on lings!! were on rocks!!! and every thing else!! for that matter!! bring me the nice weather and we will blow your mind!! cheers!!!

The one time I made it there it was the best ling fishing I ever experienced. No blackies tho but i am sure they are around.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Alot of charter captains don't seem to go that far. no real need they say. but the Barrens have some incredible fishing. lings buts and rocks! not to mention the views! Just hope for a glassy water day as its a decent trip there and back.

The area was thick with Whales last time I passed by there, very cool area. I just pass on by on the way to Shuyak and Afognak.

Only been to the Barrens once. Biggest and most Black Rocks I have ever seen, and the biggest Halibut I have ever seen come to the boat. Good Whale watching too.

What side should a guy fish? South? North? Do you change with the Tide movement? Thinking of trying there next weekend if there is good weather or might try Elizabeth or Perl islands -

What is the link to your website? May be interested in booking a trip with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    One of my fav spots to fish!!! if weather is good and lets me get you there! it can be amazing !! my cover photo of my business page came from there! 4 over 100 4 over 150 and 1 over 200lbs and they were still biting when i left!! as far as rock fish!! if were on lings!! were on rocks!!! and every thing else!! for that matter!! bring me the nice weather and we will blow your mind!! cheers!!!

I would try the calmest spot you can find, but If wind is out of the southeast I would try north side of west Amutuli North east side of bay around the rocks look for the sea lion rookery. By the way watch out for the Big bull with the bad attitude. Good luck and let us know if you make it how you did.

I like Kennedy entrance right in middle . There a hump 190 feet of water.
    If only a guy could get out there every weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Josh, my rule when writing is to limit any paragraph to three exclamation points. By my reckoning this post of yours exceeds that rule by 833%. You should stop exclamation point abuse because nobody will believe a word you say...

sent you a PM akmike