Thread: Stove for Arctic Oven tent around Fairbanks

Default Stove for Arctic Oven tent around Fairbanks

Would anyone be willing to lend my brother and a couple of his buddies a stove for an arctic oven tent. They go to UAF and are planning on heading out for a caribou hunt next week. The stove they had lined up some how lost it's reservation and now they are hoping the temps allow them to use propane stoves.

If anyone would be willing to lend them a stove for their arctic oven tent in the Fairbanks area, I bet they'd be willing to share some fresh caribou...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

when do they need it? i have one of the propane units that AKT&T sells. the large double burner.. problem is its down in the shed in clear, and i wont be able to bring it back till the 21st as ill be in anch all week till then.
    Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    Would anyone be willing to lend my brother and a couple of his buddies a stove for an arctic oven tent. They go to UAF and are planning on heading out for a caribou hunt next week. The stove they had lined up some how lost it's reservation and now they are hoping the temps allow them to use propane stoves.

If anyone would be willing to lend them a stove for their arctic oven tent in the Fairbanks area, I bet they'd be willing to share some fresh caribou...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

also.. one of the BIG BUDDY heaters do well in that tent.. and actually gets better millage out of a bottle then the Nuways do.. they can pick them up for about 100 bucks.. and bet the bulk hose kit from sentry hardware for 36 bucks.. included the quick fitting, the hose and regulator.. 2 bottles would last several days as long as its off when they are not there.. or turned to low at least
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the offer Vince! I believe they have some propane stoves lined up but are afraid that if they get into -40 temps that the propane won't work. I know they were hoping to bring along a wood burning stove if that was the case.

I'd lend them a kifaru large stove - but am in Anchorage.......

those kifarus are crap for winter camping. The burn time is so low, you'll be stoking the stove every hour. So two guys, will both have to wake up 4-6 times apiece, to stoke the stove. Setting up camp in the cold, is already hard enough. trying to assemble a flippin tin can, just adds to all the extra chores of setting up camp. Get a real stove, and don't let the mental sickness of the ultra-light ultra compact granola crap affect your camping trip.

Kifarus are only good, for a gradual warm up during fall hunts. That's the only time I've decided to use one.

About winter camping with a kifaru.....ask me how I know.

I have a Nu-Way but will not be able to access it until the 24th. A couple of Coleman Lanterns will warm it fairly well, not Tee Shirt cozy but noticeable. For quick warmups I have lit off my two burner coleman, not something I would sleep with but breaks the chill in the morning to get some coffee going and to get dressed.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Ive burned what I guess to be over 10 cords of wood in my kiraru stove. Sure you have to stoke the tin can often, but it beats freezing to death. It has worked very good for me over the last 12 years I have had it.

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    Thanks for the offer Vince! I believe they have some propane stoves lined up but are afraid that if they get into -40 temps that the propane won't work. I know they were hoping to bring along a wood burning stove if that was the case.
    i keep the bottle in the tent.. works fine... its a tent... so no lack of fresh air

also.. up north they have to carry a full supply of wood also.. it in limited supply once you get to the pass

meet on face book here

I have a wood stove that I found in my garage(haven't a clue). I'll give it a look over tonight to see if it's all there. If it's useable, I'll gladly let em use it.

Never a bad decision to have a secondary form of heat.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I have a wood stove that I found in my garage(haven't a clue). I'll give it a look over tonight to see if it's all there. If it's useable, I'll gladly let em use it.

Never a bad decision to have a secondary form of heat.
    AKiceman,
    Thanks for the offer! If you found a stove, I wonder what other treasures you have hiding in your garage. I just talked with my brother and I guess they managed to find a stove. Again, thanks for the offer. If I am ever in that neck of the woods and need a stove, I'll be sure to ask ya!

Okie Dokie! Turns out the stove pipe and legs were inside of it. It's good to go!

This thing literally appeared in my garage about 5 years ago. Ask the kids... nope. The wife.... nope. I assume it's one of the kids friends left here after a camping trip?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74