Thread: Gear raft?

Default Gear raft?

A friend is loaning me a raft for a trip I want to do this summer. I'm wondering about the idea of tying a small gear raft on it to trail behind, saving space in the main raft? Is this a bad idea for some reason?
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

In most cases, this is a bad idea unless the river is extremely mild.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Bad idea!!

That's why I was asking. Thanks.

Already been said,, but bad, bad, bad, idea, get a bigger raft. Cost me a $400 dollar camera to learn this lesson.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

My buddy said this is a bad idea...unless you put seat belts in your raft

I used to do it often when younger on a beer float river in Northern California. The small pool toy raft held the cooler behind the bigger raft. All it took was dumping the trailer raft/cooler one day and I was forever cured of that idea. Somewhere along the way I got older and also decided beer on the river was maybe not the best idea. Now I wait until in camp. Sucks getting older.

Lol ok ok guys. I got it, no beer raft. Darn it.

I agree with all on anything but Class I or baby Class II.

We use a Tag-A-Long system on many of out float hunts in Unit 23 but all of the water our groups will see is very mild. We use 12 foot rafts with no frame tethered behind out larger 14/15 bucket boats with full rowing frames. This has been a + in our operation for 2-3 reasons. #1 is weight. Our groups are flying in 206 aircraft that have an 800 pound capasity and all of out hunting rafts are between 150-160 pounds and the smaller Tag-A-Long rafts are about 65 pounds. The Tag-A-Long rafts are strictly meat or gear wagons with no oars or paddles. #2 is we rent the Tag-A-Long rafts $200 less than our weekly rate on 14/15 footers.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Kotz-Unit 23
    Float Hunts and Drop Camps
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

What about tying two small manned rafts together? Half your gear in each? Not suggesting this, just asking as a rafting novice...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    What about tying two small manned rafts together? Half your gear in each? Not suggesting this, just asking as a rafting novice...
    I'm not an expert in rafting, so others can probably speak in more detail on this, but my thought would be that you want to minimize being tied to anything if you can avoid it. If anything happens to the towed boat (swamps, catches on a sweeper/rock/etc...), you could get pulled in. Flat or very easy water isn't much of an issue I would think, but anything technical could be a problem.

I've towed a canoe with another canoe before and all was good until the canoe I was towing got hung up in the brush along the bank while I was still in deep, fast water. Got lucky I was able to back out of it, but it could have easily resulted in me getting crossed up and going swimming.

Never on my many trips- Sometimes it rains a lot and even an "easy" river can take control!! Just my thoughts. Oar rafts were not made to be tug-boats. And yes, I worked on tug-boats on the Mississippi, back in the 60's.
    Goo

Thanks, in hindsight, I can see that it would not be a safe way to roll. Reading Strahans book the last couple days has got my fired up to get my little raft out on the river this summer!!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Already been said,, but bad, bad, bad, idea, get a bigger raft. Cost me a $400 dollar camera to learn this lesson.

Seems to me it would have been better to split the gear between the two rafts and each paddle their own??

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in AK View Post
    Seems to me it would have been better to split the gear between the two rafts and each paddle their own??
    Well, yes Capt Obvious, this photo is a "What Not To Do", since my wife had very little paddling experience, my thinking was that having her in my raft would be the lesser of the evils. Hindsight being 20/20, we were much safer and better off each in our own raft with me in the lead picking the line. We only did this a short ways before separating, with me taking most of the load and each paddling our own raft. She did great and we had a wonderful trip.

We had paddled this way on a milder river without issue, but in the swift boulder gardens, it quickly got sketchy.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Wow, sorry I didn't glean all that knowledge from you first post...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in AK View Post
    Obviously...
    "Grin and Bear It"