Thread: Marine Stereo recommendations

Default Marine Stereo recommendations

Looking for recommendations on a unit. Nothing fancy, really just a unit that I can plug the IPOD into as I never carry CD's anymore. Boat has one right now, standard size cutout in the steering console but it doesn't have an IPOD connection. Looking at the BOSE outside speakers.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I would look at a standard automotive deck. Mine has been great for the past six seasons. I have an alpine that my iPod plugs into and gets charged at the same time. You can run the iPod from the deck, too. The new ones are blue tooth compatible I believe.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Fusion is making some really good marine radios that have ipod docks as well as bluetooth.

Charterboat Operator

i'm with Pete, running an alpine, that charges and plays the i-pod.!!

I mounted one of these in my riverboat with a pair of speakers.....

http://www.polyplanar.com/product/me...volume-control

Amp with ipod connect, on-off & volume......very simple...works good, most places I end up do not have radio reception......but could always plug in anything with a pin jack output...so smartypants phone or even a small portable radio...My handheld VHF gets am/fm so I guess I could plug that in....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

There's a bunch of good stereo's out there but I definately recommend getting bluetooth capability. No wires, no CD's, and tons of music stored on the smart phone. I have a Dual Marine AMB 600 unit that came with the boat and it has marine weather so I can choose between the VHF or the stereo. The weather over the stereo is nice when I'm out on deck. For speakers, Costco was carrying the Bose 151 Enviromental outdoor speakers and I sure like them. I stopped in Best Buy and picked up two adjustable ceiling gimbles from their home theater section and they were a breeze to mount. In addition I have some 6 inch 2-ways in the cabin.

Ended up getting an Alpine stereo, amp, and polk audio speakers. Now to get the old one out!

Last year, I put a new sony deck in my car that has an internal compartment for an ipod/iphone behind the faceplate. It seemed like a cool idea in the beginning but is really more of a pain because navigating the ipod library (I use an ipod touch) using the car stereo menus and buttons is difficult at best, especially if you have en extensive music library (and it's only slightly better using the stereo's remote). I'd definietly look at bluetooth for full wireless connectivity and also external USB connections, so you can also charge and connect when needed...then you get to navigate your library via the pod/phone itself.

As to the make and model...well, I think the speakers are where to invest your $$ and you're making an excellent decision with bose. Just don't get bottom of the barrel, and make sure it can push the amps for your speakers. You might also want to look at a power/noise filter for the install.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

There are some killer bluetooth stand alone speakers out there that will blow you away. They fill a whole room up with music imagine what they would do in the cabin of your boat. If you're playing your music off your iPad, iPod, iPhone, smartphone whatever, there's no wiring or drilling just turn it on and sink your device with it. If you want to keep it simple just plug into it with the headphone jack.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I like this thread. But, who installs the units in anchorage? A boat shop? Car audio shop?
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

I just went with something totaly simple .... good computer speakers (Klipsch sp? about $100 bucks) powered up by pluging into the cigarette lighter, stick them down with velcro. Ipod works great and so does the laptop when you want to watch a DVD movie 100 miles out from Seward. No subwoffer though, the boat either a bigger Aluminum or a 25 ft plus fiberglass is a big resonating chamber and there is such a thing as too much base ..... just a thought

Got the unit installed over the weekend. Went with the Alpine CDE-134HD CD head unit, pared with the Alpine KTP-445A Head Unit Power Pack 45W x 4 Car Amp, pushing through the Polk Audio Atrium4 WH Outdoor speakers.

Those speakers have incredible sound, and are extremely easy to install with lots of options for placements. The amp has a very easy harness that plugs directly into the back of the head unit. Next up is to replace the existing 6 1/2 speakers.