Thread: Alaska Felon Hunting with rifle????

Default Alaska Felon Hunting with rifle????

Hello everyone,
    I would like to shed some light on a situation I am currentlyin. When I was 18 I decided to rebel against society and began to cause havoc whilebreaking the law, the end result of such stupidity, I became a six time felon. Allof them I donít embrace, but I am learning to cope with the consequences. Thesemistakes donít make me a bad person just someone who had a rough start at life. I became a bow hunter a year ago andabsolutely love it. I am trying to figure out if I am able to hunt with a rifleor shotgun being a six time felon. I called the ATF today and talked to someonewho told me I am allowed to hunt with a rifle but If I get caught using a firearmthen I could potently be looking into jail time. I didnít really understand hisreasoning. He told me maybe to call the District Attorney. If anyone has had a similarsituation and could give me some advice where I could start talking to someonethat wonít give me the run around I would highly appreciate it. I need to findsome type of organization that could write this on paper so I can have proofwhile I hunt. Thank you all for your time and I appreciate your insight.

Default Alaska Felon Hunting with rifle????

I have a friend who was in a similar situation who was able to get his rights re-instated, you might look into that for yourself?

Who did you friend talk to in order to get that reinstatement? any direction helps

A non-violent felon, who is not on probation may use a long arm to hunt with in Alaska, "if" they have their Rights restored as AK does when a felons jail and probation are over. I think its possible that those who's rights are restored may now keep pistols too, but I am unsure of such.

This can/does go against Federal laws, and so you see the contradiction.

If yo0u were an AK res when you became a felon, make sure your rights are restored on paper, so if there's a reason your looked over, you can show them easily enough.

"JUNEAU -- The state House has unanimously passed legislation restoring gun rights for some nonviolent felons.

The bill passed Saturday now goes to the Senate, with just over a week before the Legislature is scheduled to adjourn.

Fairbanks Republican Rep. Jay Ramras, whose Judiciary Committee sponsored the bill, says the measure helps bring state and federal laws into alignment.

Currently, state law allows for nonviolent felons' gun rights to be partially restored if certain conditions are met. That partial restoration still bars handgun purchases and limits carrying concealed weapons.

A U.S. Supreme Court decision has held that if felons' rights are to be restored, they're to be restored fully, or not at all.

Read more: House backs new gun rights for some nonviolent felons: Weapons | adn.com "

So I cant give you definitive answers, but a broad and general answer, if your not a violent Felon is "yes" , and so you have more looking to do.

belive me, I understand your situation, although my path back to firearms is mucho different, yet its comming.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by 907grizz View Post
    Who did you friend talk to in order to get that reinstatement? any direction helps
    A friend on mine did have his rights re-instated..after a violent felony conviction 20 years ago. It was not easy, nor trivial but your attorney is the place to start that conversation.

As far as non-violent felonies I'm not sure how that would effect you since state and federal law conflictÖI'd think your attorney would clear that up as well.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Depends on Alaska Law, and how it's interpreted, I cannot believe that is the answer that ATF office gave you, from what you state, it doesn't make sense to me either. I can only base by what info. you have given, but it mainly depends on the nature of your crimes, how long ago they were, and your probationary periods. But I will say this: A six-time felon (IMO) would be hard pressed to be allowed to purchase a firearm from any retail or FFL dealer at this time. I would first talk with your probation officer/counselor or office whether your still current with them or not, and have them lead you in the right legal direction on this issue. In the mean time, enjoy the bowhunting, it has its rewards.

Might want to research muzzle loading rifle. I was told by a State Trooper that "they" were Okay with that, but that the Feds may have a different view. The Trooper I spoke with was at the Fairbanks Station.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

First off, this forum is NOT the place to get a definite legal answer, but that being said this exact issue came up at one of our recent AC meetings.
    the trooper in attendance said that Alaska does not have a law prohibiting a felon possessing a hunting arm, but the Feds do.
    however, it was not his job to enforce the fed rule.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

In my experance not many LEO's are happy just doing their job,your mileage may differ.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Muzzleloaders aren't classified the same as firearms under federal law - that's why you can buy them through the mail and without an FFL. You should check with an attorney first, but you can probably start hunting with those right away.

Get an AK resident who's experienced with muzzleloaders to help set you up. Most everything blackpowder that's sold mass market is for deer hunting. If you intend to hunt moose or bear you'll want to make sure you buy bullets that can handle those. You also need to make sure your muzzleloader's barrel twist rate will stabilize the proper bullets. A gun built for patched round balls will have a 1:66 twist, which won't work well for a heavy conical bullet ideal for heavier game.

I'm a non attorney spokesman,, but I do have some experience in this matter. My Son got off to a rough start as well, even with the muzzle loader, you want to avoid federal land. We shoot the same bullets I use in my 45-70 with sabots in ours and the results are devastating and with some practice can be very accurate out to 200 yards.

Good luck, on your quest and for seeing the error of your ways. The journey back is not an easy one and you will have many days that you will have to prove that you are not the man your record says you are. God Bless, and I believe that people can change.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

+1 Steve, for your encouraging words to OP.

I think the best thing you could do is contact a lawyer. See what they have to say.

This may go without saying but without it on paper please avoid the firearms. It would be very unfortunate if you were to get set back because of impatience or improper advice. Good luck on your journey and glad to know that you have and desire to further turn things around.

If it comes out that muzzleloading is the only option, do not despair, modern inlines can give you as much whack as anything on Alaskan game, and honestly they are fun, and generally less expensive than most rifles. Traditional muzzloading is an absolute riot.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

its in AK statute.. Felony that are NOT crimes against a person ( as worded) regain full rights after 10 years.. in AK a felon may not carry a concealable weapon.. however some felonys have long term bans on all weapons. start with the crimes against a person.. definition and search from there.. i want to say it was AS 12. something something.. but you can start by googling AK statutes, and use the legislative ones not legal zoom or any of the other sites as they are not updated regularly.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I was gonna say what stid said. If you do get it sorted out with alaska you better avoid federal land.

I friend of mine was a convicted felon, he had intimidated a witness in a drug case. About five years after he was done serving his sentence he got his gun rights back. It cost him about $5000 in attorneys fees. Happy to say he's on the straight and narrow now.
    You should definitely get a hold of an attorney. Don't waste your time calling any sort of LEO agency, the information they give you will most likely not be accurate. Again; get any attorney, you got yourself into the mess, it will take you some effort to get out of the mess. I wish you well.

In 2002 I was convicted of Assault IV by way of an Alford Plea. 5 years later I had the arrest expunged from the record due to an outstanding probationary period without incident. It was $10k to do it, but now I can legally say that I have never been arrested. It was a lot of work to get it done and I almost didn't get it due to a speeding ticket that I got in 2004. It was that hard to do. I talked to a LOT of lawyers between the time that I was released from probation and when I found one that said yes. I talked to people with ATF, FBI, State Troopers, and APD and all of them said it could not be done. My advice would be to save up some money, don't even get a speeding ticket and be an absolute model citizen. Once you have done that, start shopping lawyers. For what it is worth, my arrest was in Oregon and the lawyer was in Oregon but I shopped up here and down there until I found one. Good Luck.

According to the Alaska statute, felon in possession only applies to concealable weapons an does not implicate long guns.

But if you are stop by a federal person, they might prosecute under federal law.

This is not legal legal advice and you should contact an attorney.

11.61.200 Misconduct involving weapons in the third degree.
    (a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the third degree if the person
    (1) knowingly possesses a firearm capable of being concealed on one's person after having been convicted of a felony or adjudicated a delinquent minor for conduct that would constitute a felony if committed by an adult by a court of this state, a court of the United States, or a court of another state or territory;
    (2) knowingly sells or transfers a firearm capable of being concealed on one's person to a person who has been convicted of a felony by a court of this state, a court of the United States, or a court of another state or territory;