Thread: Homemade archery targets

Default Homemade archery targets

Sounds like there are a lot of designs out there for making homemade archery targets. One design that has me intrigued is stuffing a burlap sack with plastic grocery bags. Sounded crazy to me at first, but there seems to be a lot of guys that use them. Has anyone tried this design with modern compound bows, shooting up to 300 fps? I can see it working for traditional equipment and maybe lower poundage compounds, I just have a hard time believing it will stop arrows coming out of 60 or 70 pound compound! Thoughts?

Go down to Alaska Feed and Seed and get their feed bags. They are pretty cheap. Then go down to the recycling center and get some carpet. stuff that bag full of carpet and tape it up with duct tape. I used to use one in my house at 10 yards with my first compound bow which was a Diamond Outlaw 70 lbs at 330fps. They have a moose imprinted on them. Use a sharpie to finish them up and you can use them out to a long ways.

Pretty cheap.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Use furniture wax on the first foot of the arrow first. I did the same thing using shrink wrap and once in a while they were difficult to extract.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I made a bunch with 2x2's and chicken wire and old clothes from the thrift stores you can buy them by the pound they are heavy but hold up great to a compound and cost hardly nothing to make had them 3 years now

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

If you want some other ideas go here
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/search...rchid=32441996

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys! Roger, those are some great looking targets, does the chicken wire damage your arrows or field points at all?

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivoraCounter View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the tips guys! Roger, those are some great looking targets, does the chicken wire damage your arrows or field points at all?
    Nope shot thousands of shots never had a anything happen to an arrow. With the exception of a trial run when I first made them I did not have them packed tight enough and had a pass thru. Here is a photo of a 4 inch thick target shot at 15 yrds

I take back the 2x2's that was my first try I forgot I switched to the 1x4 boards. The gopher is 20" high 12"wide 4" thick

I love these type of threads...Larry and I have worked on making our own targets and are in the process of collecting plastic grocery bags ourselves. one video on youtube we watched indicated using an outer 'feed' or burlap bag, then a heavy duty plastic (dog food bag) to hold the grocery bags or other stuffing material. Because of the amount of quilt batting I will be using on rugs at the taxidermy shop, I will probably have a plethora of 'scraps' to use for stuffing material as well.

Now we just need to figure out a good diy target for broadheads!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

burlap bags with used shrink wrap (the stuff they use for securing boxes on pallets) is awesome stuff!

One word of advice, don't put the target up against something hard. Over time you'll poke through even WITH trad gear if you hit the same spot over and over again. I've had a few holes in walls/doors to back that one up .

TradBow, I have heard that hanging the targets will prolong their lifespan, is this what you were suggesting rather than putting them up against a wall? Holes in my rental property wouldn't bode well for my current living situation!

JuliW, sounds like you have an endless supply of stuffing! Perhaps you can post some pictures when you have a few targets made up, its neat to see the designs people come up with. I'll begin experimenting myself as soon as I get home to Fairbanks. As far as a broadhead target goes, I think a layered foam compression target (same design as the brand name targets, "the block" etc) would be doable, provided you can find enough foam material at an economic rate. I have also heard that layered carpet can be compressed in a similar way, but not sure how that would be with broadheads...

The more searching I do, the more ingenious designs I stumble across. Can't wait to start

Yup, hang them so they aren't hard against a backstop. I've hung them on doors (bad juju), closet rungs, (bad juju my closets are small lol), on the freezer again poked through.

I ended up with one of two versions when I used them. One was putting up rubber maids and having 2 bags stuffed back to back. the 2nd bag kept it from being a hard stop. You'll be fine for a bit but you WILL poke through if you don't have the the 2nd bag. The second was just some 2x4's and a stand. It was kind of gangly but it worked. I use it for hanging lights for growing seeds for the garden now. I have 2 small block targets back to back on the freezer in the house for screwing around. Its just easier. Again you don't want one as a hard stop against a wall!

if you're outside hang them so they don't hit something. if they're heavy enough they wont swing all over the place.

used shrinkwrap is pretty easy to find if you have any big stores around. Anything that is palletized is generally shrink wrapped. It doesn't take much of that to stuff into a burlap sack to get what you need. Plastic grocery bags don't last long at all.

I've had the same target for at least 25 years now. It is a 4-foot square bag made of a woven tarp-like plastic material. It is stuffed full of the stretchy clear plastic that they use to wrap pallet loads and furniture. A trip to the local furniture store when I first put the target together was all it took to fill it up. The bag is about a foot thick and I have it hanging up in the woods with ropes off all 4 corners (there are grommets in each corner). It has been hanging outside, in the woods since day one. It's for target points only and easily stops everything that my old 55# compound can throw. I spray painted a bullseye target on the front and have to refresh the paint job every year. And you can easily tack paper targets onto the front. I was skeptical about the plastic stuffing at first, but it really works great and lasts for decades.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

If you guys know anybody that uses the spray foam insulation that stuff makes a very good target. We would get a guy to spray some into garbage bags when he was testing the foam and they would stop broad heads and field points from any bow. Arrow removable was easy and targets lasted forever. You could shoot them from any angle and they lasted for years even when shot with broad heads. The only down side I ever saw to them is they dull broad heads quick. I had arrows to practice with then had some to hunt with so that was not a problem for me. If you can get one of these targets you will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    If you guys know anybody that uses the spray foam insulation that stuff makes a very good target. We would get a guy to spray some into garbage bags when he was testing the foam and they would stop broad heads and field points from any bow. Arrow removable was easy and targets lasted forever. You could shoot them from any angle and they lasted for years even when shot with broad heads. The only down side I ever saw to them is they dull broad heads quick. I had arrows to practice with then had some to hunt with so that was not a problem for me. If you can get one of these targets you will like it.
    +1

I happen to have one ready to go if anyone wants it. It is an oven box filled with urethane. My kids have decided to get out of archery so I don't have a need for this one any more. If anyone can use it I'll let it go for free....just send me a PM and I'll help you load it up. (Bulky, not all that heavy)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Just threw together my first attempt at a DIY target. I used a poly pro sandbag that I got from Alaska Feed Co. for under $2, and stuffed it with mostly old linen sheets. Stitched the top up and added some paracord loops so that it could hang. I was amazed how well it did! Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywqha-C9BM4

Next up I'm going to try and use some old bubble wrap style insulation that I have lying around to make a compressed, block style bh target