Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find an auger?

Question Where to find an auger?

I spent quite a while in Anchorage today trying to track down an auger to no avail. I was primarily looking for a hand auger, but I'm not opposed to a good deal on a powered auger. I'd really like to take my 3 and 5 year old sons out ice fishing a couple of times over the next month, but other than looking for recent holes on the more popular lakes, I'm currently unable to do so. Any ideas? Today I tried B&J (one powered auger left at $550), Sportsman's Warehouse (sold out), and a couple of Craigslist ads (also sold out).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I spent quite a while in Anchorage today trying to track down an auger to no avail. I was primarily looking for a hand auger, but I'm not opposed to a good deal on a powered auger. I'd really like to take my 3 and 5 year old sons out ice fishing a couple of times over the next month, but other than looking for recent holes on the more popular lakes, I'm currently unable to do so. Any ideas? Today I tried B&J (one powered auger left at $550), Sportsman's Warehouse (sold out), and a couple of Craigslist ads (also sold out).
    I heard ADF&G has a rod loaner program in Anchorage where they will check out rods, scoops, and hand augers for free.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I may have a hand auger that you can have. I'll let you know.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

A strikemaster 6" hand auger and a drill adapter will run you about $140 on Amazon.com with a prime account. My buddy ripped several holes in no time using a 20v craftsman drill.

Wasilla Sportsman's had power augers, Walmart had power and hand augers. If you are coming the Valley way, I would be more than happy to lend you my hand auger.

Wal-Mart, eh? I almost stopped there on the way home, but figured it wasn't a very realistic option. I'd also rather buy a decent one once rather than replacing it regularly, but Wal-Mart has surprised me before. Thanks for the tip.

As for your offer of lending me one, thank you! I'll let you know if I can't find one tomorrow. If so, I might take you up on that.

Al the wallmart's have or had your augers in stock in Anchorage let your finger do the walking , call sporting section an they should tell what they have in stock SID

AIH had em last I was in there as well. A Eskimo shelter and a buddy heater are darn nice as well.

Didn't even think about AIH. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check there tomorrow.

AIH is where I bought my eskimo as well. I have owned it for over ten years and I am pleased with it. The blades are kinda expensive to replace and I usually have to replace them once every one or two years, but other than that I have no complaints.

Brian, if it's for taking your kids, or any kids for that matter, out fishing I will gladly give you my exercise machine, um I mean hand auger. I bought a new gasser this year and haven't used the hand powered model since. It is yours for the taking and I can throw it in my truck on the way to work tomorrow if you want to swing by the shop and pick it up.

Check AIH I have seen power and hand augers there for a decent price

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Brian, if it's for taking your kids, or any kids for that matter, out fishing I will gladly give you my exercise machine, um I mean hand auger. I bought a new gasser this year and haven't used the hand powered model since. It is yours for the taking and I can throw it in my truck on the way to work tomorrow if you want to swing by the shop and pick it up.
    Sir, that is far too kind of you. It is for taking kids, but let me check out my options for purchasing one first. I'm sure there are other people who can use such an offer, so if I can pick one up tomorrow you can extend that offer to someone else. If not, though, I wouldn't be opposed to at least borrowing it. We're not serious ice fishermen (obviously), but they're hitting an age where it will be a good father-son thing to do for a number of years.

Thank you.

Brian,

I'm done with my gas auger for the season. If you want, you can borrow it for the month.

Randy

Thanks again for all of the very generous offers! I found a hand auger for a reasonable price at AIH, so that'll be good enough to get us started. If my kids really take to it over the next year, we may upgrade to a powered auger, but for now we'll just be targeting stocked lakes with the hope of plenty of action to get the little guys hooked.

your kids will love it just don't let them get cold if that happends you are sunk but if they catch a few fish that will help also SUPPER

There are adapters on Amazon for most hand augers to be run with a battery powered drill. 6" augers seem to work best from what I have read. My buddy has a 6" auger he spins with a 20v craftsman drill and I was impressed with how well it worked. Super quiet and he drilled 4 or 5 holes and it still had juice.

Tried Little Campbell Lake for an hour and a half last night, but struck out. That's how fishing goes (an important lesson for my boys), but based on past trips there with my nephews and mother-in-law and based on stocking data from F&G, I was surprised to be skunked. We'll get after it again, though. The boys had fun and are even more ready to catch a fish now!

Go hit Finger lake. Lots of stocker action there.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Brian, I have an older Eskimo auger you can have for free. I haven't run it in a few years, but if you want it let me know and I'll make arrangements.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast