Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninilchik Beaches Closed for Clams; Bag and Possession Limit Decreased on Remaining E

Default Ninilchik Beaches Closed for Clams; Bag and Possession Limit Decreased on Remaining E

Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

High time. Got a good chuckle from this:

The cause of the decline in razor clam abundance on eastside beaches is unknown but is thought to have resulted from poor spawning and/or settling success.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Oh, gee, the horse is gone. Okay, close the gate,would ya?

over the last 27 years I have seen fish and game manage fisheries into extinction. Another example.

Why not shut the whole thing down? I hear the Clam Gulch area clams are pretty thin as well. Give it a rest!

"Since the abundance of sexually mature clams in 2013 was at a record low and effort did not shift from the Ninilchik beach this beach will be closed to the harvest of clams."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds to me that they knew sexually mature clam populations were low. I have to wonder when they realized this? I would think probably before the first good clam tides were due to take place. But they went ahead and let people dig for them anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if they knew about this in 2012' or earlier.

What ever happened to being proactive rather than RE-active?

Sheesh.....

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    "

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds to me that they knew sexually mature clam populations were low. I have to wonder when they realized this?

It is hard to tell with a clam. But the presence of earrings, makeup, and the hint of perfume gives them away. Last time down I noticed few of these.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    "Since the abundance of sexually mature clams in 2013 was at a record low and effort did not shift from the Ninilchik beach this beach will be closed to the harvest of clams."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds to me that they knew sexually mature clam populations were low. I have to wonder when they realized this? I would think probably before the first good clam tides were due to take place. But they went ahead and let people dig for them anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if they knew about this in 2012' or earlier.

What ever happened to being proactive rather than RE-active?

Sheesh.....

I believe they did the population estimate for most of the beaches in May. They also did a bunch of creel surveys on most of the beaches throughout the season and through that data found the low number of sexually mature clams.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I would bet money that the winter/spring bluff sloughing of 2012/2013 smothered the clams and prevented repopulation. Last yr folks were digging clams that had only recently died. Their meat contents still in a state of decomposition yet still present. I've never seen that much bluff erosion in my yrs and the springtime beach sands were piled much deeper than in other springs I've seen. Is there a biologist that could comment on whether young clams could survive excess sands/muck over them as compared to mature clams? It seems the mature clams were the victims in the decomposition stage.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Personally I do not dismiss mother nature, erosion, freezing, etc. having something to do with the population demise; however, does anyone really think that the thousands of people digging them up and eating them has absolutely NOTHING to do with it? ADFG really needs to OPEN THIER EYES and GROW SOME BALLS and quit trying to manage people, money, and politics and get into the game of Fish And Wildlife Management.

They should shut the whole East side down whilst they have the chance to recover the population.

I was preaching 4 years ago that the clamming would end up like the clamming in Washington - two half days a year with a 10 per person limit.

Look where we are now...........

-O-- and meanwhile, put limits on the West side too.

Has anyone ever wondered if operating 4 wheelers and other vehicles on the exposed clam beaches has a negative effect on them? I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it did. I remember while commercial set netting on the beach just north of ninilchik, every weekend one could see hundreds of vehicles driving on the soft sands where the clams are to be found. And of course, hundreds of people digging them up and often times " tossin em back" if they were too small. On many a high tide after the hordes had left, one could walk the beach and find quite a few dead clams that had not been harvested. We discussed amongst ourselves the many possibilities of why.....the king salmon, otters, mud sharks, and many other species of ocean life and marine birds prey on them heavily as well. Which is why setting nets over a soft Sandy beach has always been a top producer for kings, and mud sharks too.....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    It is hard to tell with a clam. But the presence of earrings, makeup, and the hint of perfume gives them away. Last time down I noticed few of these.
    Last time down where Dave?

*thinking* this is NOT the time for clam jokes akiceman25.... this is NOT the time!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

And hard to think that all the siltation caused by the development of the deep creek and ninilchick drainages doesn't have an effect. And the sloughing off of the bluff. And the grossly negligent regulations that allowed over harvest. Oh, and maybe the cumulative affect of decades of drilling mud discharged in the inlet. And the four wheelers.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

To learn more about the fishery, you can view the latest report starting on page 55.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/FMR13-42.pdf

As well as the Operational Plan for the 2013 study:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDF...2A.2013.10.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Last time down where Dave?

*thinking* this is NOT the time for clam jokes akiceman25.... this is NOT the time!
    It just may be that WE are the problem. You are supposed to keep damaged clams no matter what size. I have seen others just burying them back in the hole. Every time I was at Ninilchik it was had to count the number of people there. IT just may be we are overstressing the resource.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

After reading this- I'm really not sure if I want to go Clamming. I don't want to be part of the problem.

Can a person use a crab snare while trying to crabbing in Alaska? During deer hunting up there, the transport had some pots out that we harvest. Shrimping also-Is there a charter that a person can go out and do some of these things?

Thanks;

Doug Hobart

you can drop pots on a charter in PWS. There are some rules, but you can do it. You need a shrimp permit and you must do the work yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    you can drop pots on a charter in PWS. There are some rules, but you can do it. You need a shrimp permit and you must do the work yourself.
    Thanks;

Can a person go clamming in Kachemak Bay? It looks like it has mud flats!

There are butter clams in abundance across the bay, no steamers anymore.not a destination for razor clamming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast