Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing hunts, what did you put in for?

Default Drawing hunts, what did you put in for?

Just wondering what everyone has their hearts set on this year? I'd really like to get picked to go Bison hunting. Anyone have something special they put in for?

Well, my heart was set on 14C Sheep, but since that is past....how about an Elmendorf Bull Moose permit for me and a Kenai Mountains Caribou for the wife. I still have one more year before I can put in for bison again, but I'd be pretty excited about my wife getting one of those as well, as long as we're dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ....how about an Elmendorf Bull Moose permit for me
    Brian, hasn't anyone told you...there are no moose on Elmendorf, they are all on Ft. Richardson!

Good luck and just curious what area did you apply for? I applied for areas 428/429/430. And finally, what's up with the $125 access fee for the bases? I called the state and they said they had nothing to do with it. It was all the military, so can the base legally levy a fee for this?

I argued about that fee while I was on active duty but yes, they can legally charge that fee for the hunt. There are a lot of other bases that do the same in the lower 48. While we are discussing fees, did you happen to catch the blurb in the spring supplement for the DI454 bison hunt? "Most bison are found on private land where a $1500.00 trespass fee is charged."

When I paid the fee to hunt Moose on Fort Richardson it was explained that the money goes into the clear cutting (the big mower) which increases Moose habitat (suppose it serves a fire break too). If you draw the hunt and live in the Anchorage I think the gas savings of a hunt close to home out weigh the fee. Of course I encourage everyone to not put in for the hunt...so my odds improve.

Early Spring hunt for MUSK OX next year... but most likely just another ten dollar donation......K

antlerless moose 14A, bison, muskox seward pen, kodiak bear...thinkin' thats about it
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Moose

I put in for 2 unit 20 cow hunts, One bull hunt in the delta area, and a bison hunt in Delta.

Ft Rich bull moose, Hillside moose, Haul Road moose

Bull and Cow bison permits, Kenai mountains Caribou, Fort Rich and Elmendorf Moose.......dreamin' big this year

~Jon

Delta Bull,Haul Rd Bull,Delta Bison,Unit 20 Bull Muzzle Loader hunt,Musk Ox (again x3) That's it for me.Daniel

Default Fee

My husband and I are military and if we were to draw one of the tags we have to pay the access fee as well. I looked into it and was told that it goes into the base morale fund.

Default I'm soooo unoriginal

My three were 406,407 & 410 for a cow permit... not too original but I had my father-in-law and wife both apply for the same; wish us luck.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Db307/dm424/dm427/dm430

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail1der View Post
    Brian, hasn't anyone told you...there are no moose on Elmendorf, they are all on Ft. Richardson!

Good luck and just curious what area did you apply for?
    I don't remember the hunt #'s....Elmendorf Bull, Ft. Rich Cow, and Ft. Rich late season (Dec 15-Jan 15). I also put my wife in for two of the new Delta cow permits (they're giving away 900 permits for the area...crazy!)

Beyond that I put us both in for Kenai Mts., Talkeetna, and Central AK Range caribou. She got put in for Delta bison as well, both bull and cow. We both put in for Kenai Mts and Seward brown bear, and I also applied for the 14C brown bear.

Default Crossing my fingers

DB261/262**/257, DI 403/404, DC001, DM407/424/427

** There is one bear in particular, the one whose longest right front claw matches the scar on my back

Caribou(Ak Range), musk ox (not Nunivak), bison (Farewell).

With all of the moose that they have been killing south of Fairbanks the last few years, they must have plans like a bombing range or ....
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Bear

Brown Bear on the Kenai. Seen one yesterday. I was blessed earlier with a Koyukuk moose permit so that will be my big event this year. This permit thing is not fair. They should issue hunting permits based on three things. 1. How long you have lived here. 2. How old you are. 3. How much body fat you have to tote around. I would be a permit winning son of a gun!!!

Default kept it slim

only;
    Kodiak Elk
    Kodiak Brownies (fall hunt on afognak)
    Mat-su Cow
    Bison

I'd tell you but then I would have some seriously bad juju come announcement time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast