Thread: KUIU ULTRA Packs

Default KUIU ULTRA Packs

Anyone else watch the live reveal of the new ULTRA pack on KUIU Live? It looks pretty promising in regards to addressing some of the complaints people have had about their older models as far as strength and rigidity under heavy loads goes. 6000 ci bag, 2500 ci load shelf, 3 lbs. 9 oz., and prices right under $350. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. What's everyone else's thoughts on this pack?

Quote Originally Posted by scott_zimm View Post
    Anyone else watch the live reveal of the new ULTRA pack on KUIU Live? It looks pretty promising in regards to addressing some of the complaints people have had about their older models as far as strength and rigidity under heavy loads goes. 6000 ci bag, 2500 ci load shelf, 3 lbs. 9 oz., and prices right under $350. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. What's everyone else's thoughts on this pack?
    I think its a bargain if the frame holds up. If nothing else it'd make for a sweet lightweight summer hiking/packrafting pack as it should easily haul the 70 or so pounds I'd put in it for a 10 day packrafting endeavor.

The combination of cubic inches, weight and cost seems tough to beat. As with all things, needs to be tested by the "cutting edge" people to see if it holds up! If my current pack gives up the ghost I'm going with this one, but I think my current pack might outlive me.

I have the original Icon 6000. I think the new pack has a reinforced bottom. I have used it for two full seasons. One 7 day bivy trip in MT, and a couple of 5-7 hunts. I love it so far. The most weight I have put in it is around 80-100lbs. No complaints so far. I can appreciate the weight savings over my eberlystock blue widow. I think I saved around 3 lbs. For the $ I think they are hard to beat.
    Bowtech907

A hunting buddy of mine used the Icon 7200 for a season. The bag was great although it sounds like the new upgrades are welcomed. The problem that i found with it were associated with the frame. He used it on several archery mule deer hunts in the 48 and ended up compromising the frame not once but twice. I was shocked and immediately turned off to the KUIU frame as a result as he seems to baby his gear way more than i can afford to. It just donned on me at the time that i wouldnt want an un-field-repairable, carbon fiber frame with a moose, elk, shrew, ermine, etc. down! I think i will stick with the Barney's bag/frame.

Default KUIU ULTRA Packs

I hear what you're saying about the Icon packs. All the negative reports about their frame's strength is definitely keeping me from ever buying one. However, it seems the started from the ground up with their new ULTRA line-up seeing as the two models are not compatible with eachother whatsover... bags or frames. They claim the new setups have been load tested up to 150 lbs but I'm not sure how extensive their testing was at that weight. What I do know is that in the promo video Jason sets the new frame across two benches like a bridge and stood right in the center of it. He weighs over 200 lbs. and it appeared to hold
    up pretty well. It did flex pretty good but standing on it like that is probably the most unfavorable way to put a load on a frame. I'll wait and see what people think before I buy. I like the new stone glaciers a little bit better but with the ultras being $300 cheaper it'll be hard not to get one if the initial reports come back good. Anything to replace my 9.5 lb. eberlestock. I was a sucker for the scabbard and had never packed a sheep out before I bought it. Now that I have... it's gotta go!

I will stick to my Stone Glacier, and I'm not to worried about frame failure this is Kurt's test. Standing on it like a bridge creates normal stress in the frame not the compress/sheer stress experienced while the pack is loaded. Then you consider the Ultra is 160 Cordura and 3/4" buckles/webbing to Stone Glacier's 500 Cordura and 1" buckles/webbing which is something to consider for the long run. So while yes on is $250 cheaper and comes in cool colors I will take the Terminus from Stone Glacier, which I can still expand using the Access and Approach should I find it necessary.

I've packed out heavy loads with my icon 5000 and never had any issues. My two hunting buddies each have the original icon frames and they still hunt with the same packs today, never an issue. I love my current icon but have an Ultra on pre-order so I'm pretty excited to take it out on this years Sheep hunt. Only downside is next year they'll probably have a few cool modifications and I'll wish I would have waited!

Myself and three friends have their 2013 1850. I have been very pleased with them, and their ability to carry a load. It will handle way more than I am comfortable carrying. My friend had one of his lower stays break causing the pack to sit at an angle. Kuiu quickly replaced the frame and he has not had any more problems. I see that on the Ultra frame design the lower legs have been removed which might get rid of some of the problems they have had.

How much weight can be carried in the 1850? Or how much actual space is in the 1850? Can a guy fit a lightweight bivy set up in there with game bags/meat processing gear too?

Quote Originally Posted by aroshtr View Post
    Myself and three friends have their 2013 1850. I have been very pleased with them, and their ability to carry a load. It will handle way more than I am comfortable carrying. My friend had one of his lower stays break causing the pack to sit at an angle. Kuiu quickly replaced the frame and he has not had any more problems. I see that on the Ultra frame design the lower legs have been removed which might get rid of some of the problems they have had.

I have not tried to overnight with mine. It works great as an all day pack. I carry all game bags, knife, saw, food and water for one day, extra jacket, and rain gear and it all fits inside. I think you could easily take a Bivy and small sleeping bag. Keep in mind that it is easy to strap stuff to the outside, and you can also use the load sling for more gear. I would think I could get by with enough stuff for for three days if I was using the load sling. Now if you kill a sheep or something and plan on bringing meat, cape/head, and all gear out in the same trip this bag would be a tight squeeze. You would have to pack very efficiently

As far as weight, I have had mine loaded up to 90lbs total with a boned out antelope, head, gun and gear, and it hauled it just fine. My buddy carried two front shoulders (Boned out) of an elk, and head with 5pnt antlers. His total pack weight was 120lbs. Just this season I help pack four elk, two deer, and one antelope on mine. It is so much better than both of my Eberlestocks for ease of use, and ability to carry the load well balanced.

Does anyone have the 6000? If so do could you give us a quick review?
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckup View Post
    Does anyone have the 6000? If so do could you give us a quick review?
    Thx
    I ordered one last week, but it's on backorder.