Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ahtna Tradional Territory

Default Ahtna Tradional Territory

Got this email this morning. I didn't include all the links:

Alaska's lone Representative in the US House of Representatives, Don Young has chosen to draft a bill creating an Athna Traditional Territory turning over game management and allocation to Co-Managers in parts of GMU 11, 12, and 13. The draft bill will be heard before the US House of Representatives Friday, March 14, 2014. Over half of the Territory is State public domain lands. Draft bill and map of area links are below.

Click here for the Draft Bill
    http://alaskaoutdoorcouncil.org/imag...ahtna_bill.pdf

Click here for the Map

This Draft legislation from Alaska's Congressman flies in the face of the Alaska Statehood Compact, the US Constitution, and the precedents of public trust law. AOC opposes this Draft legislation.

You can as well by sending your comments, before Friday, in to:

Erik Elam at erik.elam@mail.house.gov or 202-225-5765.

or

http://donyoung.house.gov/contact/
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

So, as an Ahtna shareholder, will this let me shoot them Bison without a permit?

Lawyers, Guns and Money ~ all those things are nice, but what you really need is a politician in your back pocket!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Goodness, what an awful idea. You can bet it'll be a statewide effort if the first one goes through.

Maybe it's time to start looking for marriage prospects in Tazlina.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    So, as an Ahtna shareholder, will this let me shoot them Bison without a permit?

Lawyers, Guns and Money ~ all those things are nice, but what you really need is a politician in your back pocket!
    All it takes is one of those three things and you can have a politician in your back pocket just about at will.

I didn't read the whole document, but that is unbelievable. I personally always felt that Stevens, Young, and now Lisa have and continue to trade away our public resources for trinkets....oil pipelines, votes, whatever shiny object appears to gather their fancy....

Going through a couple of pages of it and stopped by about 22.

It is pretty clear that that this bill will violate the State of Alaska Constitution and will take authorities granted under statehood. The hidden meaning within this bill is that Ahtna wants a reservation rather than a corporation. ANCSA was messed up in the view of some folks that it did not create reservations. This bill is a back door reservation maker targeted at controlling caribou and other game on Ahtna Land and the adjoining public lands.

If the State does not join the experimental commission then Ahtna gets a federally funded wildlife management department that will have federal authority but not state authority to manage wildlife. Toss the statehood act and the state constitution out the window.

Who keeps voting for this pinhead? I know he's no different than any other random pinhead off the street but come on Joe Voter. This man is bought and paid for by someone other than you Joe Voter. He does not care for you even if you voted for him. He is just a house dog to special interest. Standard issue American politician.

That sounds like a terrible idea

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    All it takes is one of those three things and you can have a politician in your back pocket just about at will.

I didn't read the whole document, but that is unbelievable. I personally always felt that Stevens, Young, and now Lisa have and continue to trade away our public resources for trinkets....oil pipelines, votes, whatever shiny object appears to gather their fancy....
    Politics is about $$, always has been, always will be. If you want influence, write the checks at the fundraisers. Want to stop that madness? Term Limits are the only way to do it. Once a politician figures out they aren't constantly running for election, perhaps they will do the RIGHT thing, and not the one which keeps getting them elected.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Politics is about $$, always has been, always will be. If you want influence, write the checks at the fundraisers. Want to stop that madness? Term Limits are the only way to do it. Once a politician figures out they aren't constantly running for election, perhaps they will do the RIGHT thing, and not the one which keeps getting them elected.
    Yep!!! Cant argue with that...

Thanks for posting this, Mike. I imagine Don will be getting some calls and emails! Hard to believe really, on so many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Mike. I imagine Don will be getting some calls and emails! Hard to believe really, on so many levels.
    Why is this hard to believe ... have you all forgot about Don and Queen Lisa's "Alaska Native Land Entitlement Finalization and Jobs Protection Act" that now sits before the Senate waiting for passage. When passed it will be a huge blow to all hunters and fishermen in SE Alaska.

There are 2 entities that manage hunters (not wildlife) in Alaska. The state and the Feds. Both entities manage mostly based on location, as in where you live. The State uses Advisory Comm. and the Board of Game. The feds use the regional councils (not native councils) and the Fed Subsistence Board.
    What this bill appears to do is give a seat at the management table, for a certain area, to people based on RACE through there membership in a Native Corp. That would seem to be a Constitutional problem. To some degree, folks of a certain race already have a lot of say in management decisions thru the State AC and the Fed Ad. Council. But that is due to where they live, not due to their race.
    I am surprised to see this from Young. Perhaps his time in the House is due to end.............but who would replace him??
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

It is kinda obvious ... Don and Queen Lisa got the Sealaska Lands bill passed. Well not quite yet, it needs a full Senate vote which it probably will get. They are on a roll. Many people predicted that if the "Alaska Native Land Entitlement Finalization and Jobs Protection Act" (sealaska lands bill) got passed it would set a dangerous precedent ... reopening Native treaties all across the US.

I'm afraid this is just the beginning.

Am I off base to say a lot of this started (or ratcheted up) when the Native Corps funded Lisa's write in campaign against Joe Miller?

She seems to be paying them back at every turn. I'm not against helping rural Alaskans where it makes sense on a Federal level to do so, but a lot of it seems to be another step down the path towards tribal self government and complete sovereignty. Some level of autonomy is maybe appropriate in some areas, but there seems to be a significant overreach in the works to the detriment of the State and its citizens.

Sounds like manifest destiny is happening or something.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

politics is about $$, always has been, always will be. If you want influence, write the checks at the fundraisers. Want to stop that madness? Term limits are the only way to do it. Once a politician figures out they aren't constantly running for election, perhaps they will do the right thing, and not the one which keeps getting them elected.
    bingo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Sounds like manifest destiny is happening or something.

Touche Amigo......

We've been heading down this road since:

Ada Deer by-passed congress and listed 226 Alaska 'tribes' on the federally recognized tribe list
    Tribal Government Are there Native tribes in Alaska? What do they ...

Knowles refused to appeal the Katie John decision
    Katie John v. Norton - Case Update, Native American Rights Fund

John V Baker Tribal Court Development Alaska Tribes

The only thing Alaskan natives have not been able to establish is that there is Indian Country in Alaska and we can and should be at least thankful for that ruling 9-0 in US Supreme Alaska v. Native Village of Venetie Tribal Government, 522 U.S. 520 ...

So there is no Indian country in Alaska (with the noted exception of Metlakatla)

Native Corporation land is not Indian country but it also is not public land

Fish and Game are not owned by Corporations even under ANILCA just because at one time or another game or fish might traverse Native corporation lands

This whole sovereignty-tribal government stuff in Alaska and whose on first base subsistence is now so polluted with weird liberal court decisions and illegal administrative actions it apparently became way too easy for political people like Palin, Parnell, Lisa, and Don to sell out to the power of NARF....

Again...we can at least be thankful there is no Indian Country in Alaska..

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Got this email this morning. I didn't include all the links:

Alaska's lone Representative in the US House of Representatives, Don Young has chosen to draft a bill creating an Athna Traditional Territory turning over game management and allocation to Co-Managers in parts of GMU 11, 12, and 13. The draft bill will be heard before the US House of Representatives Friday, March 14, 2014. Over half of the Territory is State public domain lands. Draft bill and map of area links are below.

Click here for the Draft Bill
    http://alaskaoutdoorcouncil.org/imag...ahtna_bill.pdf

Click here for the Map

This Draft legislation from Alaska's Congressman flies in the face of the Alaska Statehood Compact, the US Constitution, and the precedents of public trust law. AOC opposes this Draft legislation.

You can as well by sending your comments, before Friday, in to:

Erik Elam at erik.elam@mail.house.gov or 202-225-5765.

or

http://donyoung.house.gov/contact/
    Folks,

This one is DOA. I wouldn't lose too much sleep. I understand people may be worried about the bill, but as far as it passing no worries because it isn't happening.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by BrettAKSCI View Post
    Folks,

This one is DOA. I wouldn't lose too much sleep. I understand people may be worried about the bill, but as far as it passing no worries because it isn't happening.

Brett
    While that is good to hear, I am still going to send a note to Young and Murkowski's offices anyway. I would really hate to rely on the thought that it is DOA, then find out that because everyone against it ignored it as such, they went ahead and slipped it through while we worried about something else. Doesn't hurt anything to tell them your feelings on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettAKSCI View Post
    Folks,

Brett
    Yep I remember the same being said about the Sealaska Lands bill ..... ha

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast