Thread: Alaska Hunting with the 50 and 51 calibers

Default Alaska Hunting with the 50 and 51 calibers

The 500's....500 S&W, 500 JRH, 500 WY Express, 50 Action Express.

The 510... 500 Linebaugh

500 S&W needs the big S&W X-Frame in a DA or a Magnum Research BFR or a custom stretch frame by Gary Reeder.
    500 JRH was designed by Jack Huntington to bring a Fifty to the Freedom Arms revolver. Mr. Huntington can convert your FA 83.
    500 Wyoming Express is a belted cartridge designed by Freedom Arms for their fine revolvers.
    50 Action Express is has a rebated rim and headspaces on the case mouth like the 45 AUTO. It can be had in a Desert Eagle Auto loader as well as FA revolvers and custom revolvers such as a custom Redhawk by Hamilton Bowen.

500 Linebaugh is actually a 51 caliber. It was designed by John Linebaugh. This is the largest calber handgun cartridge made and can be had in a custom Blackhawk revolver. The are many fine gunsmiths that make these bigbore conversions.

Any of these will do the job. I hope to find out first hand what the 500 Linebaugh is capable of.

EDIT.... Whitworth one who shoots and hunts with these boomers added this since I overlooked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    Forgot one -- the .500 Maximum (also known as a .500 Linebaugh Long) -- a stretched .500 Linebaugh (from 1.4 to 1.6 inch long case). Built on a Ruger .357 Maximum frame. Generally, too much of a good thing.
    Last edited by Snyd; 03-11-2014 at 07:40.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

In 1990 a friend Kevin Curtz RIP came to Haines with a 500 Linebaugh built on a budget out of a SBH and had a 5 1/2" barrel.Kevin saved money staying with the dragoon grip frame. I got to shoot this gun and its was more plesant to shoot than the 7 1/2" FA in 454.Kevin and the gun were lost in a cabin fire in 1993,he was a troubled young man.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Forgot one -- the .500 Maximum (also known as a .500 Linebaugh Long) -- a stretched .500 Linebaugh (from 1.4 to 1.6 inch long case). Built on a Ruger .357 Maximum frame. Generally, too much of a good thing.

I used to own a 4" SW 500 X frame, and had a 7.5" barreled BFR to go with.

If I buy another BFR for handgun hunting - not likely, lots of respect for those who can do it - but if I do get another BFR I'll get one in 45-70 with a 7.5" bbl.

The 4" Xframe I bought for point blank D when I did most of my hunting with a Nikon. I personally couldn't draw it fast enough to defend myself- it was impressive once in action, but calling a timeout to fire up the crane to get the gun drawn wasn't a realistic option for me.

If you have more rotator cuff and less arthritis than me, try the Sierra 350gr JHP with 42, 42.5gr of H110. Mine had a couple thousand rounds through it from NIB when I sold it in good working order, and that load doesn't do too bad a number on the brass. Galco Kodiak and DAO outdoorsman were both great holsters for it, though the DAO has slots in it for a 2" belt...

I have a love affair with the BFR in .500 JRH. Had a problem with my hard boolits for a while, just poking a hole through deer. 440 gr WFN. I made boolits with half the nose of softer lead using 3# of pure and 1# of WW metal. Solved that right quick. Instead of 100 to 120 yard runs with deer, 4 out of 5 this season dropped in their tracks with one 6 point making 20 yards.first 2014 deer.jpgopening day2.jpg first is a large doe on early doe, then a large 8 point and large doe on opening day.

Thenthanksgiving 2.jpg a doe and a large 6 point on Thanksgiving. BFR JRH 7-1/2" barrel.
    no need for larger, will do anything needed.

Actually what I thought was a 6 point is really a 7 point. Missed a small point. but no matter, I don't care about antlers. I see MEAT only. I don't care if it is a button buck or doe, if it is legal, it is down and will be eaten.
    You want some good steaks, get some Omaha meat and the seasoning. Holy smokes. We bought extra seasoning because it is super on venison.
    I never had beef steaks like what they sell. They sell to all the big chains but you can get them cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    Actually what I thought was a 6 point is really a 7 point. Missed a small point. but no matter, I don't care about antlers. I see MEAT only. I don't care if it is a button buck or doe, if it is legal, it is down and will be eaten.
    You want some good steaks, get some Omaha meat and the seasoning. Holy smokes. We bought extra seasoning because it is super on venison.
    I never had beef steaks like what they sell. They sell to all the big chains but you can get them cheaper.
    Ha! We are allowed to use handguns during Iowa's shotgun season. Had grandson along on the last day with one tag to go. The cutest little doe with eyelashes walked out into the open at 100 yards and proceeded to walk all the way to the tree that grandson and I were harbored it. We even made comments about how cute she was right before I sent a 240 gr JSP through her ribs. My grandson exclaimed in disbelief" grandpa I didn't think you would shoot one that small!". I said "All I see is them little loins curled up like a turd in the toilet simmering in butter in grandma's big skillet". As soft hearted as the kid is he had no trouble eating one whole loin all by himself! All deer are just meat with fur on it and I'd always take two little ones over one big one! I've never seen a deer that wouldn't die right proper from a 44 mag in the boiler room but to each his own on how big the hole is!

Snyd; Not sure that I'm man enough for one of those big 50's but have always wanted a BFR in 45-70. I'd have to girly the loads down some but I do want one!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Ha! We are allowed to use handguns during Iowa's shotgun season. Had grandson along on the last day with one tag to go. The cutest little doe with eyelashes walked out into the open at 100 yards and proceeded to walk all the way to the tree that grandson and I were harbored it. We even made comments about how cute she was right before I sent a 240 gr JSP through her ribs. My grandson exclaimed in disbelief" grandpa I didn't think you would shoot one that small!". I said "All I see is them little loins curled up like a turd in the toilet simmering in butter in grandma's big skillet". As soft hearted as the kid is he had no trouble eating one whole loin all by himself! All deer are just meat with fur on it and I'd always take two little ones over one big one! I've never seen a deer that wouldn't die right proper from a 44 mag in the boiler room but to each his own on how big the hole is!

Snyd; Not sure that I'm man enough for one of those big 50's but have always wanted a BFR in 45-70. I'd have to girly the loads down some but I do want one!
    I have one in 45-70, most accurate thing ever. I have done 1/2" at 100 yards many times but you need to watch it with alloy. I poked holes through deer and lost a few with a boolit too hard. I softened and blew one to burger, lost a shoulder on exit. So I think it will take a softer nose like the JRH did. Hard drive bands but some upset at the nose.
    I shoot seven different boolits to over 420 gr with 4759 powder, fed 155 primer. No other powder has worked in the short 10" barrel.
    Recoil is less then the .44 mag. Average velocity is 1630 fps with most boolits. The 300 gr Hornady is also super. That bullet works on deer.
    I have clanged steel rams at 500 meters with the gun every shot once I found the aim point. I can not do that with my 45-70 rifle.
    We love venison and like you, a small one is best. Shot too many bucks and had to give meat away. One huge one in Ohio needed a pressure cooker and we still could not cut or eat. Stinky too, like an old goat. We hate the wild taste and smell and nothing will hide it.
    I can eat lamb but not mutton, might eat young goat.
    I wonder how many trophy hunters actually eat what they kill? Deer might be the worst, Moose and many other animals still taste good if large.
    A friend got beef from an old milk cow once and it was not good at all.
    I prefer Bambi every time.
    I have had a buck come in with a doe, guess which one I shot?

Moose Hunt 2016 Round 1...

The plan was to shoot one with the 500 Linebaugh...

I spent 5 days solo out in a spot I’ve killed a few Bulls the first part of Sept. I saw 3 Bulls, only 6 cows, 2 calves and a BIG Griz. Went home when the ceiling dropped and the rain came. Supposed to be cooler and drier a few days later on that week.

I called in one of the bulls, a nice meat bull. It was late, like dark thirty late. He was about 800yds across the valley slowly meandering away up towards the far ridge. I wanted to turn him around and hopefully keep him in the valley for a morning hunt. A cow call brought him back across the head of the valley. I was sitting on a sidehill above a little brushy plateau. About 100yds across to a stand of Black Spruce. Wind was a problem, at my back blowing down. When he got to the edge of the plateau he cut down into the spruce for his final crosswind leg of his approach into the wind. At that moment I scootched on out of there so he wouldn’t wind me. I hoped to keep him around till morning. I won't shoot one at dark in that type of terrain. In a few minutes I got up to my “knoll” where I had my tent pitched, peeked over the brush and there he was, probably 25-50yds from where I had been calling. Pretty cool. He came right to me.

Of course I thought… “maybe I could have gotten a shot with the 500L.." But then I went back to my personal limit that I have. I won’t shoot a bull at dark, at the head of a steep, brushy valley. Besides, I think he’d have winded me anyway and my plan was to try and keep him around not pull the trigger. So, then he looks down the valley which he had been doing the whole time he was coming in. He turns and beat feets it not down to the thick brush and spruce but up out of the brush and across a wide open area out of the valley across a saddle down to the next one. There are only a couple things that will put a Bull on the run like that. Humans and Griz. Well, next morning down the valley about 1/4 mile out comes a big ol griz, up the far side.

I spotted a larger bull one day a mile or so off down across the valley, put the stalk on him. Tried calling him up out of the thick stuff. I wasn't sure if he was even still there. No go so I went to him scraping as I went. I ended up jumping a forked horn who evidently didn't want any part of me! I had no idea he was around. Larger bull had disappeared. Wind was in my favor, who knows what happened.

I found a griz kill that was probably this spring. He got one of our cows I'll be taking my rifle this week in case I see him in rifle range maybe I can take him out. Besides, my freezer is void of moose and if need be I'll resort to shooting one with the 325 wsm. Hey, a guys gotta eat! Here's a pic of the drag path and part of the carcass. Other bones were scattered around as well.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Moose Hunting 2016 Round 2

2 days later....