Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a long term IA mechanic

Default Looking for a long term IA mechanic

Does anyone know of a good IA mechanic that can travel to Wasilla Airport during winter months to perform annual inspections and other minor misc work.

I should add the plane is in a heated hangar with all the amenity's (bathroom, office, compressed air, etc), plane has been hangared its entire life. The plane is basically in brand new condition, the airframe has about 1000 hrs, the engine has about 300 hrs since NEW (not overhauled, not rebuilt). I need an air wolf system installed and an annual. I know mechanics get busy but I need a mechanic that I can schedule a time with and just get the annual done. I need a mechanic that is flexible to allow owner assists, I can open the plane up and have been through my entire plane with a fine tooth comb. I am looking for an annual cost of around 650-800 flat rate not including any mods or repairs. I would also like a quote on the installation of the air wolf, it will need a form 337 STC filled out as well. Since this particular installations STC includes the hoses I have been told it should take about 1.5-2 hrs to install or a flat rate.

I think the hardest part is taking the tires off and checking breakes etc. Its basically quick money over a long weekend, I do all the parts running (though 90% of the time I know what I need and have it there) and labor of opening the plane up.

Also next winter I am flexable when to do the annual because the plane does not fly in the winter, so dec or jan to buy gifts or pay credit cards off from Christmas lol.

You can't find an IA in Wasilla? They give you their flat rate, not the other way around. I hope you can find someone with a short memory....

The situation you are asking for is one people arrange with a trusted IA when they have also proved themselves trustworthy. IA's get tired of owners that are more focused on the cost of the annual than the integrity of the process.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

The rate is based off of other mechanics I have talked too. I can talk to some people at work too, while I need a mechanic the sky is not the limit on the fees, I am not a millionare. I am diligently working on getting a carbon fiber kit so that I can get the repairmans cert but for now will need to have annuals done. If people on this site cant help then I will keep looking else where. What I am trying to avoid is mechanics getting so busy that I go out of annual trying to wait for someone to come open, or they come open during the summer when I don't want to be down.

I am very concered about the integrity of the annual which is why I am VERY involved in the process, I make sure I have either factory approved or TSO parts when applicable and don't put anything on without an STC. I am not looking for anyone to pencil whip anything, in fact if I see something I will call it out. I don't have a death wish to go up in a broken plane.

Why not use an IA that is already based at Wasilla....? Block or Billingsley? I am sure there are others.

I have noticed that alot of mechanics get tied up in these huge repair jobs. So many people in alaska dont hangar their plane so they come in for a 3 day annual and it turns into a 6 week annual with welding and all sorts of other major repairs which keeps alot of these mechanics tied up for a long time. Technically a regular A&P can do those sorts of repairs but since it is an extention of the annual they came in for the IA just continues working on it. I mean these huge repair jobs are great for buisness but I am hoping to find someone who can schedule small things on short notice.

I'm an IA and just from reading your post here...I would't touch your plane with a 20' pole....

But you felt the need to post anyways lol. My plane is more cherry than 80% out there (other than some of these rich people flying brand new beavers or 185's). I am also probably just as anal as the mechanic in making sure the plane is in great shape. Im just a cost nazi, im not just going to allow anyone to rack up huge dollars because its generally not necessicary and the FAA allows owners to do quite a bit of things. I want a flat rate quote or a total hour quote with a hourly rate (which is really the same thing).

when I have someone put on a roof I get a quote, when someone works on my car I get a quote, this is no different.

I wonder if this means they need to start graduating more aircraft mechanics if the ones out there can afford to cop attitudes for paying jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    I wonder if this means they need to start graduating more aircraft mechanics if the ones out there can afford to cop attitudes for paying jobs.
    Good luck finding a mechanic with that attitude. My mechanic is busy, sorry, and I think he lost your number someplace in the trash can.
    Really, good luck in your quest for a local mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    I'm an IA and just from reading your post here...I would't touch your plane with a 20' pole....
    I wouldn't even if i borrowed your 20' pole.

I agree. I am scared to think of this guy in the air.. wrong mind set and attitude.... as much as I can't stand his posts I truly hope he doesn't hurt anyone but himself in the end.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    I wouldn't even if i borrowed your 20' pole.

And just like the weird rash I picked up in central America, this thread is going to get itchy.....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Almost as strange as a dysfunctional nerd advertising for an IA (with stipulations) on the Internet....

I wont hurt anyone else. Doing the kind of extreme flying I do that is the risk that I take. I will find a mechanic when I find a mechanic, I am not going to let it stop me from flying.

Quote Originally Posted by roamak View Post
    Good luck finding a mechanic with that attitude. My mechanic is busy, sorry, and I think he lost your number someplace in the trash can.
    Really, good luck in your quest for a local mechanic.
    I will find one when I find one, but I dont want one who is arrogant and unpleasent to work with and cops an attitude at every turn. The relationship has to be the right one. I have called several mechanics and even though this is the busy time of year none of them have acted like the posters on this forum. There is a real lack of couth and professionalism from some of the posters on here.

If I had to guess alot of the posters responding dont hold either an A&P, IA or even a pilots licence, although I have met a few unpleasant pilots to be around. Just keep in mind that this attitude from the older crowd in the aviation community (assuming the responding posters are not just long time trolls) is just another contributing factor to the death of general aviation. Mechanics running up the costs of aircraft ownership and making flying non enjoyable.

My guess is that in 20 years there will be so few general aviation pilots that av gas will be discontinued and only major air carriers will be able to make all the upgrades to what ever the new fuel will be and funding will be cut to local airports. So keep up your mouthing off to people who are trying to enter and enjoy general aviation. Keep it up, it wont be long before any of us wont be able to get parts or fuel.

If people on here want to be rude and arrogant I dont need to stay here. I have managed to accomplish more in a short amount of time than most on here have accomplished in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    If people on here want to be rude and arrogant I dont need to stay here.
    Thank you.

If people on here want to be rude and arrogant I dont need to stay here

Teaser !
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast