Thread: Is this polar bear fur?

Default Is this polar bear fur?

Can anyone up there tell if this is really polar bear fur:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161240993347...1.M1150.R1.TR3

I don't believe it's legal anymore to buy/sell/possess this sort of thing in the USA, but was just wondering what the real thing looked like, as well as how it performs on a fly compared to the synthetic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post

I don't believe it's legal anymore to buy/sell/possess this sort of thing in the USA, but was just wondering what the real thing looked like, as well as how it performs on a fly compared to the synthetic stuff.
    It very well could be real. While it is often illegal to buy/sell/etc... raw materials, it is actually frequently legal for some native groups at least (and sometimes others) to sell goods like this where the raw materials were used in the manufacturing of them. For example, you can't sell raw ivory tusks, but you can sell them once they have been made into artwork such as some of the awesome carvings you can find around.

Without having it in hand, it is not possible to be 100% sure...but I am 99% certain that is white bear.

PB is hollow, and as such provides an incredible luminescence and lustre in the water. It has no equal for traditional steelhead and Atlantic salmon patterns.

I'm with the 99% guestimate, too, but would need to handle it. If so, that's a great buy. Hackem up and there's probably $1k worth of polar. I've seen the legal stuff going for around $5 per square inch.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post

Well if it isn't polar bear fur...it is most likely Yeti fur. I think it would be a shame to hack up a nice pair of boots like that.
    Attachment 77309
    "Grin and Bear It"

Hmmm: seems too good a deal if it were polar bear (or not if it's a dog or wolf); I just don't know, and the fact that nobody is bidding on it makes me more uncertain. Dunno if it is legal to buy or possess something sold this way. I would make flies out of it if it was. Don't need no mukluks.

Trade and movement of Polar Bear products is governed by CITES appendix II - a permit has to be granted before legal transfer between parties.

Upon closer look at those pics, I am 99.95% certain it is PB, but it is short and raggedy. There appear to be some good patches on there, but not enough to warrant the heat that a public purchase might bring - A fella here in Juneau went down a few years a go for Ebay trade in CITES-controlled animal parts...not worth it.

I have a bunch of polar bear hair in my fly tying box. A native in Soldotna sells it. He takes polar bear hide, tans it, cuts it into little strips, and then glues little puppet eyes on the end and calls it an "ice worm" toy. Some is natural, some he dyes in various flashy colors. Each piece is sold as a "trinket" in a little baggie with an educational insert talking about polar bears. He says that most of his buyers are fly tiers. And that just happens to be who he markets to the most.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Polar bear is legally sold in some fly fishing shops here in Anchorage. I believe most of it comes from Canada.

I'm curious since it was mentioned there must be a granted cities permit in the transaction. How are the dolls, yoyo's etc sold at the bazaars? I know I've seen them and always wondered if it was legal. what was the process. It aint worth it to me in the long run. I don't tie traditional anything. Though they do look great! Not my bag.

Arctic Fox will do as well or synthetics. Fish aint that picky they wont touch something because they don't have PB in it..if they do, I'm quitting and taking up quilting L!

Default who (legally) sells polar bear fur in AK?

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I have a bunch of polar bear hair in my fly tying box. A native in Soldotna sells it. He takes polar bear hide, tans it, cuts it into little strips, and then glues little puppet eyes on the end and calls it an "ice worm" toy. Some is natural, some he dyes in various flashy colors. Each piece is sold as a "trinket" in a little baggie with an educational insert talking about polar bears. He says that most of his buyers are fly tiers. And that just happens to be who he markets to the most.
    Does anyone know specifically where in AK to buy a small piece of polar bear fur for fly-tying (legally)?; the above post was a reply in 2014.

Thanks,

Steve

try a native ART shop or native ARTS FAIR I think they can sell ART objects that has polar bear hair on or in it , as long it is native ART
    SID