Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska hunting 45 Colt

Default Alaska hunting 45 Colt

At 140 years old in old form and around 45 years old in new form. Today the 45 is the equal of the 44mag and does it with less pressure a bit fatter bullet and a little more bullet weight if wanted. Bullets in the 300/340 grain range work well on anything walking the earth. If you are not a handloader many outfits make fine hunting ammo for the 45colt. My 454 now days gets fed ten of the 45 to every one of the 454 and the 45colt is in the gun when hunting because I shoot it better,alot better.
    Now for the 1873 Colt/clones shooters these new 45colt rounds are not for your guns,you need a more modern SA. The good news with the better bullets out there and 1873 power you can still hunt deer and such and bring home meat if you know your limits out to about fifty yards.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

This is why I like my Ruger Super Redhawk (Toklat) so much. To be able to load some plinkers and to load them all the way up to drop a Tyrannosaurus Rex. You never know when a T-Rex might jump out of the bushes. I also put that Ruger in a Diamond D chest holster. Not only is fine leather work, but so practical. Itís assessable and not in the way of a waist and chest strap of a pack. I highly recommend one for any one hiking or hunting. My significant other bought a ham for me on our anniversary, so that I could shot it with the 454. Sheís too cool. As soon as I can get my hands on some small magnum rifle primers, Iím going to load a 300gr HP and see if thereís anything left to feed the dog. LoL

I have a 4" .45 Colt Redhawk that's mostly relegated to tent/sleeping bag security and on some occasions I wear it while conducting DLP investigations and need both hands free.

Other than for some pipsqueak cowboy loads I ran through it when i first got it, it's all been factory or handloaded heavy hitters in the 325-335gr weight range.

I would want a longer barrel to hunt with.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    This is why I like my Ruger Super Redhawk (Toklat) so much. To be able to load some plinkers and to load them all the way up to drop a Tyrannosaurus Rex. You never know when a T-Rex might jump out of the bushes. I also put that Ruger in a Diamond D chest holster. Not only is fine leather work, but so practical. Itís assessable and not in the way of a waist and chest strap of a pack. I highly recommend one for any one hiking or hunting. My significant other bought a ham for me on our anniversary, so that I could shot it with the 454. Sheís too cool. As soon as I can get my hands on some small magnum rifle primers, Iím going to load a 300gr HP and see if thereís anything left to feed the dog. LoL
    The round just calls for small rifle primmers not magnum small rifle.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    At 140 years old in old form and around 45 years old in new form. Today the 45 is the equal of the 44mag and does it with less pressure a bit fatter bullet and a little more bullet weight if wanted. Bullets in the 300/340 grain range work well on anything walking the earth. If you are not a handloader many outfits make fine hunting ammo for the 45colt. My 454 now days gets fed ten of the 45 to every one of the 454 and the 45colt is in the gun when hunting because I shoot it better,alot better...
    I'm a "one load fits all" kind of guy....I like about 16.5 grains of VV-N110 under this 347 grain bullet:345-NMB.JPG. Other .45 loads need not apply.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

In a .45 Colt, I like 8.5gr. of Unique under a 300gr. cast BTB. CCI 300 primers.

Gets me right at 900fps in a 5.5" barrel Redhawk.

Super accurate too...................
    "The older I get, the better I was."

As many other 45 Colt hunters, I have a heavy load, 355gr WFN at 1200fps. But, have any of you ever done any experiments with loads like these Linebaugh loads? I'm curious to know if the lighter faster load would give any distance advantage or disadvantage on deer sized game like sheep out past 100yds. Say out to 150ish. My current heavy load shoots excellent out to 117 which is all the further I've practiced at shooting a 9inch target.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm

Starting Loads
    Maximum Loads
    Bullet Powder Grs. Vel. CUP Powder Grs. Vel. CUP
    260 cast H-110 25.5 1364 24,800 H-110 27 1459 30,600
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I'm a "one load fits all" kind of guy....I like about 16.5 grains of VV-N110 under this 347 grain bullet:345-NMB.JPG. Other .45 loads need not apply.
    That load should be right at or a little less than 1,000fps from a 4" barrel - nice load.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    That load should be right at or a little less than 1,000fps from a 4" barrel - nice load.
    Yup, it runs right at about 1100 from the 5 1/2" Blackhawk.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

When I was younger in my bigger better years 26.5gr. 296 under 340grHC crimped in the lower groove was the only round worth shooting unless the 27gr was needed.Some times old dogs just figure stuff out on their own and save powder to boot.

I am chronoing about 750-800fps muzzle loading Hodgdon 777 (size FFg) behind 270gr Keith Style bullets.

Not every 270gr Keith style bullet fits my New Vaquero cylinder, but I don't feel undergunned for interior sized bear.

Extraordinarily versatile platform, I can download to 230gr at 750fps to go play at steel targets with the 1911 owners, and up to Redhawk only loads in my Redhawk. I am very very happy I held out for a .45 Colt Redhawk. I am sure the .44M Redhawk is just as good a gun as my Redhawk, but the .45Colt is easily the more flexible cartridge.

Likewise, for the interior the 20k psi "tier II" loads developed for the New Vaquero and similar are quite a step up from the original 14k "tier I" spec.

Haven't shot a living thing with either of mine yet, but I don't leave home without one or the other.

snyd,

How long is your barrel? I can't hit didley squat with my 4" redhawk - even plinker loads, but in the heavier loads I am really a terrible shot with it.

There is no way that I could hit a 9" plate at even 75 yards - even probably after burning a hundred rounds.

My heavy load is a 330 grain Brooks with a full house of H110 (I don't remember for sure the weight, but she is pushing 1250fps - I could go hotter, but it not even kind of fun to shoot).

When I bought the pistol, I bought 20 rounds of Buffalo Bore. I think they were like 45$ for the box. Printing on the box said 360 grains at 1450fps..... Ya - nobody can shoot those accurately after the first round out of my pistol. Very uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    When I bought the pistol, I bought 20 rounds of Buffalo Bore. I think they were like 45$ for the box. Printing on the box said 360 grains at 1450fps..... Ya - nobody can shoot those accurately after the first round out of my pistol. Very uncomfortable.
    The printing on the BB box I bought says 325 gr. @ 1325......and even those are hard for me to shoot......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

snyd,

How long is your barrel? I can't hit didley squat with my 4" redhawk - even plinker loads, but in the heavier loads I am really a terrible shot with it.

There is no way that I could hit a 9" plate at even 75 yards - even probably after burning a hundred rounds.

My heavy load is a 330 grain Brooks with a full house of H110 (I don't remember for sure the weight, but she is pushing 1250fps - I could go hotter, but it not even kind of fun to shoot).

If you shoot other handguns well it may be the problem is the chamber throats in your gun as it can make a big difference. Check out the sticky chamber reamer thread or have Andy Fields check out your gun.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I shoot other handguns 'well'..........

I will go back to the thread that you mention and read it again though.

Other people do not seem to have a problem out-shooting me with my redhawk though.......even light loads.

May be as simple as a grip change.

snyd,

I was referring to my Bisley Hunter Super Blackhawk. 7.5 inch barrel, 2X weaver scope.

360gr at 1450 is closer to a 454. Are you sure you got your numbers right? That's gotta be a 50,000 psi load I'd think.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    The printing on the BB box I bought says 325 gr. @ 1325......and even those are hard for me to shoot......
    Yeah, I have some of those and was a little spooked by them. The recoil impulse was more like a high-voltage electrical shock than a push and flip.
    Now what ?

Snyd - no, I am not sure. I still have the box though so I will check it and get back with you. I put my "bear" loads in the empty box..

I have been having pretty good luck pushing that 330gr with tite group at about 1000fps...but I haven't chrono'd it yet to be sure how fast it's going.

I can't hit didley squat with my 4" redhawk - even plinker loads, but in the heavier loads I am really a terrible shot with it.

A pretty common issue with the 45 Colt Redhawk is suboptimal bore diameters through the chamber throat and forcing cone, often compounded by a narrowing in the barrel where the barrel screws into the frame.

The first easiest check is to 'slug' your barrel with a really soft piece of lead, a wooden piece of dowel rod and a big hammer. Just pound it through from the muzzle end with the cylinder open. In the poster child Redhawk (I got one from my wife as an anniversary gift) the muzzle will be tighter than the middle of the bore, which is good, but where the barrel screws into the frame will be tighter still- which is bad.

So pay attention when you are hammering. Where is the next tightest spot after the muzzle? Next, see if that barrel slug will drop through the cylinder mouth with just light finger pressure. In the poster child redhawk, it wont; if the barrel slug is so big you can't hardly drive it through the cylinder throat with a big hammer, you got a poster child.

When you fire the poster child Redhawk, your bullet is squeezed down to the diameter of the cylinder throat (the smallest diameter it ever 'sees' on the way to the muzzle, and then rattles through the constriction at the barrel/frame threads, and then gets all slodygonchwise like a drunken sailor on shore leave in the generously proportioned middle of the barrel, engaging the rifling sort of randomly, then slams into the constriction at the muzzle at a less than ideal angle and takes flight spinning on all three axes.

Fine for point blank defense, not so good past 15 feet or so.

If you shoot 6 or 12 cast bullets, is there visible lead in the bore? If you can see lead in the rifling after 12 rounds you have a problem, either the wrong lube, wrong bullet diameter, or a Redhawk.

The good news is there is plenty of meat in there to fire lap most of the constriction out of the barrel/ frame area. Mine took 72 rounds. Then I opened up the throats so my barrel slug would drop through with light finger pressure. The bad news is I might as well buy .458" bullets now and run those through my custom sizing die @ .455/.456, because .456" bullets for 45 Colt are not easy to find.

FWIW the thing that is supposed to be awesome about Colt(tm) barrels is the diameter slowly diminishes, gripping the bullet more and more tightly in the rifling as the bullet nears the muzzle. Supposedly. I don't own one yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast